Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "borrowed" concepts

check ebay and half.com
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I was thinking of incorporating some moves from Croc: Legend Of The Gobbos into my repertoire. I need to grow a big ass scaly tail first though.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Bad news for the PS2 fans.

Looks like the PS2 will be outdated by the end of the Year when the PSX starts to hit the market.

So what's the PSX then?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Originally posted by Serpent
    So what's the PSX then?
    The replacement for the outdated PS2.

The PSX sports a 120GB hard drive and a built-in Ethernet adapter for networking and online gaming functions. However, the most shocking upgrades in this redesign have got to be the built-in TV/broadcast satellite tuner and DVD recorder! With the 120GB hard drive and additional support for Sony's Memory Stick, PS2 memory cards are totally obsolete with the new PSX. With the DVD burning, TV tuner and Ethernet capabilities, the new PSX is a media powerhouse

Apparently set for the low price of about $400.

Interesting. One day the home media will all be in one package. What we need is a single box that has:

PC
    Games Console
    DVD (watch and burn)
    CD (play and burn)
    TV, including cable decoder for FoxTel, etc.
    Stereo
    Coffee Maker
    etc.

And we need it all for $99.99 (Australian).

That's my dream.

Still reckon you might as well buy a good PC.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

My Setup at home has most of those functions, excl. the coffee maker & Game console(Yuuuck).

Cable decoder is plugged into the MPEG Decoder/Recorder.
    Video/DVD Recorder is also hooked up.
    I can transfer/record from/to any media device in my Household.
    Got all my CD's, Vinyls, etc already as MP3 files, to be stored on MD's.
    MD walkman plugs into PC for song transfer, Long play mode is supported.

CD's are sooo yesterday.

The $99.99 tag might be a bit tough come to think of it.

Originally posted by Serpent
    Interesting. One day the home media will all be in one package. What we need is a single box that has:

PC
    Games Console
    DVD (watch and burn)
    CD (play and burn)
    TV, including cable decoder for FoxTel, etc.
    Stereo
    Coffee Maker
    etc.

And we need it all for $99.99 (Australian).

That's my dream.
    Your PC can already do most of that. In fact, you can probably hook up your PC to your coffee maker so that you get the specific type of coffee you want too
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

The PSX sports a 120GB hard drive and a built-in Ethernet adapter for networking and online gaming functions. However, the most shocking upgrades in this redesign have got to be the built-in TV/broadcast satellite tuner and DVD recorder! With the 120GB hard drive and additional support for Sony's Memory Stick, PS2 memory cards are totally obsolete with the new PSX. With the DVD burning, TV tuner and Ethernet capabilities, the new PSX is a media powerhouse
    * Just for a start, the original playstation machine is often nicknamed a PSX so i really hope they dont use that name for there new machine as it will just cause confusion.

Secondly if thats the specs on the new machine then honestly im *really* dissapointed and its quite obvious that Sony are trying to market there machine based on a family entertainment platform instead of as a pure games machine... again and it didnt work before.

Technicaly speeaking (im not just making this up i used to work in the games industry) the XBOX is nearly twise the raw power of the Playstation 2 and as is also much easyer to program and port for. To top this off it comes with a built in hard disk plus networking and game support for 5.1 Dolby digital.

If Sony want to have any hope of compeating then had want to think about actualy upgrading the raw power of there machine and its actual hardware capabilitys instead of simply adding in features which have already become standard for other consoles.
    For a start they *need* to get rid of the horrible aliasing problems which have plauged the machine since its release. They also had darn well want to think about actualy adding in a lot more ram and caching capablititys. As it stands the PS2 lags badly behind other consoles in nearly ever way possible. Heck even Nintendo's Gamecube is technicaly far supperior to the PS2. Yet for all this the only thing they can think of to sell up there new console is features which have been done before and a darn DVD burner.

I cant help but feel kind of insulted that Sony think so little of its customers that they can just add in a few more sorry reasons to pass it off as a 'home entertainment unit' and pretend its the next big thing. It would honestly be nice if they just addmitted that the PS2 was a massive stuff up to begin with and simply fixed the mryiad of problems that are associated with the machine and i havent even begun to touch on the design flaws and technical problems ( we used to get back about 1 in every 10 we sold due it being faulty within the first week).

Yeah take that sony, make me sell your crappy products.

Ok rant over... breath
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Jon.

They are all being turned to "home entertainment units".
    Microsoft is doing similar stuff with the next Xbox.

It is the new trend, everythting is going digital and the functions will be combined.

Give it another 5-10yrs and I doubt you will notice the diff between a PC, VCR, Fax or TV.

No more money left in selling solely a game-console, TV or PC.

There was a time when some games were exclusive to PC or Game consoles, not anymore.

FWIW, PSX is the official name.
    Most probably stands for "PS Experience" or similar.

T'ai Ji Monkey

lol i always wanted to have a console hardware debate on a martial arts board. Its just so darn off topic it has to be on KFO

They are all being turned to "home entertainment units".
    * I know and its exactly this which i hate. Not many people seem to realise the obvious truth which is that no 200 doller console is ever going to compeate with a 700 doller stand alone dvd player. The whole idea of mixing the console with other mediums like dvd serves one purpose and one purpose only. It helps kids to convince there parents that what they are purchasing is more than just a toy.
    Sony (and other consoles) impliment such things becouse it simply adds to the feature list. Most people already own standalone dvd players anyway and no console is *ever* going to compete with them becouse if they did they base price would shoot though the roof.
    I will contend happily all day long that consoles are much better served when they stick to what there good at. I can understand them playing DVD's in some ways (for convience) but i dont understand them spending money on things like dvd burning when it could simply be spent on improving the hardware.

There was a time when some games were exclusive to PC or Game consoles, not anymore
    * Ummm hello
    Flight Sims, Real Time Stratergy, complex adventure games.
    There is actualy millions of games which cant be ported over.
    The main things consoles lack is RAM which vastly limits there potencial as games machines compared to the pc.

Dont get me wrong here the pc market is dying becouse so many of the games *can* be played on modern consoles. Still there is also a vast number that cant be ported over due to technical limitations. PC gaming has and always will be the realm of adults really (all of our old pc regulars where over 40) as realisticaly they are the only ones who can afford to keep up with the hardware( young people do play as well - on there parents pc when there parents will buy them a game). As a result PC games tend to be much more technical and often simply more indepth, there is also the whole simulation market which consoles dont have the power to proparly replicate.

Anyway its always fun arguing about consoles and hardware and what not. I used to do it at work and really annoy the customers
    Last edited by jon; 10-07-2003 at 12:55 AM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

Jon.

I think it has more to do with pricing than actually porting the games.
    Porting could be done cheaply enough in Korea or China.

Giving a Console the same power as a PC will result in the same cost, plus it will be harder to sell an upgrade console.
    Yes, PC will always be the big boy when it comes to serious gaming and consoles, atleast for the forseeable future.

I agree that DVD burning is a waste in a console, heck I rather buy a Sony Cocoon and record my movies on there (110hrs storage babee).

When it comes to selling consoles these days they need to make them attractive to the adults, more than the gaming kids.

PS2 was $180 PSX should retail at around $400, now that is some serious bucks to spend.

Anyhuh, I will stick to PC-Games for now.
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 10-07-2003 at 01:08 AM.

Crippled Avenger/Chang Style Novice:

Techniques I've been working on:
    a knee combination into chopping
    leading arm marching kick
    elbow locking
    neck surrounding
    knee seizing
    pulling
    hip throw

-
    I forgot Bob Mould was gay. But now that you remind me, it does figure.

Originally posted by jon
    If Sony want to have any hope of compeating then had want to think about actualy upgrading the raw power of there machine and its actual hardware capabilitys instead of simply adding in features which have already become standard for other consoles.
    I think Sony's main 'hope of competing' comes from the fact that they make $100 every time they sell a PS2, whereas Microsoft and Nintendo break even or take a loss on sales of the X-box and Gamecube, making up revenue on the sale of games for same.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn