Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "borrowed" concepts

Taijimonkey -

Getting back to Bob Mould and Husker Du for a minute, their heyday was in the mid-eighties. You just aren't and never were punk as fu(k enough to hang with it. The fact that he's gay is irrelevant to the fact that his Gibson Flying V would make your ears bleed, beg for mercy, and then tap out.

While Husker Du was making hardcore kids slam dance and pogo, you were doubtless addicted to MTV and listening to Nu Shooz and NKOTB.

OWNED!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

MTV and listening to Nu Shooz and NKOTB.
    Who are those?? Sorry, I never saw MTV until maybe 5yrs ago.
    Even would we have had access to MTV it would have been different to the US MTV, more adjusted to local tastes.

I spend my youth watching Sky channel.

Like I said the names you mention draw total blanks for me.
    I used to hang with quiet a few punks but all they listened to were british bands, they too were british.

Personally, I don't career if any musician is gay/whatever if I like his/their music that's all that matters.

Freddy Mercury still did excellent music, as did Debborah Harry regardless of her previous profession.

But I agree with you I never was that heavy into punk.
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 10-07-2003 at 02:05 PM.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

listening to Nu Shooz and NKOTB.
    Nu Shooz.

LMAO

Yikes.

Looks like the people that want a Sony PSX will have to dig deep into their wallets for one.

Sony PSX basic for $719

Looks like with the PS2 that the gaming capabilities are the least selling point.

That is why I wouldn't buy one here. They retailed for about 600 Pacific Pesos when they were released here, and only dropped in price when the Xbox gave it some pricing competition. Personally, I would pay the extra couple of hundred bucks and get myself a good PC instead.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

The Replacements > Husker Du

Don't get me wrong, I love Husker Du and Mr. Mould's solo stuff, but...
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

joedoe.

I agree with you, rather spend the same bucks on upgrading the ol' PC.

Crippled Avenger - on matters such as this, reasonable men can disagree.

(pops "Let it Be" into headphones)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

T J Monkey - sorry to accuse you (however tacitly) of ****phobia. There IS a lot of it around here. Anyway, I don't really think my taste in music makes me superior to anyone, except in terms of my taste in music.

Also, I assumed you were born and raised american, since the majority of this board is. Turns out I was wrong, but you didn't help matters by saying "wouldn't you like to know" instead of for example "Western Pacific Rim" in your location field, nah mean?
    Crippled Avenger

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    T J Monkey - sorry to accuse you (however tacitly) of ****phobia. There IS a lot of it around here. Anyway, I don't really think my taste in music makes me superior to anyone, except in terms of my taste in music.

No problem. Tastes vary, life would be worrying if everybody enjoyed the same thing.

Also, I assumed you were born and raised american, since the majority of this board is. Turns out I was wrong, but you didn't help matters by saying "wouldn't you like to know" instead of for example "Western Pacific Rim" in your location field, nah mean?
    The resaon for this is because my lcoation does change and I like to keep private information private.

Where I grew up we are very protective of private information and our freedoms.
    Give too much info out and you loose freedom.

I gotcha - it didn't take much reading between the lines to figure that out. Still, it's possible to be both vague and somewhat informative. As in "Asian Pacific Rim."
    Crippled Avenger

Indeed, Chang. Both were excellent bands.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

So, where do you stand on X vis-a-vis The Minutemen? For me, that's a much tougher call, and my opinion will change back and forth with some regularity.
    Crippled Avenger

Well, it depends. There's days when I love X, but there's others where Exene Cervenka's voice just peels paint off the walls of my skull. I agree that they were a genius band, (Billy Zoom is a hero of mine), but sometimes, I just want that d@mned woman to shut up. The Replacments are much more consistent in my ability to listen to them.

But really this question is like asking which was better, The MC5 or the Stooges. The correct answer is, of course, if you're not listening to both, you need to be smacked.

True. But it's still more interesting and productive that questioning whether Bomberman could really beat Dhalsim.

That said, I like Exene's voice. And Gang of Four would totally choke out The Clash.
    Crippled Avenger