Thread: Curved back in WC?

Curved back in WC?

Does anyone curve their back like you see the Dragon and Bak Mei guys do? I've recently seen some WC that does. Just curious.

Re: Curved back in WC?

Originally posted by WannabeWarrior
    Does anyone curve their back like you see the Dragon and Bak Mei guys do? I've recently seen some WC that does. Just curious.
    That's just so 1970's wing chun!

what lineage is that?
    I don't really want to get involved in any politics and besides it may be more a habit of the individual I saw rather than their lineage.

That's just so 1970's wing chun!
    I don't understand, plus I was just a lad in the single digits in the 70's. Care to elaborate?

So it seems no one here does that. Anyone know why you would do your back like that>

wnnabe warrior- an honest question. If you dont provide an example of what you saw or have in mind- how can anyone comment? Wing chun is different from Bak mei and while we dont stand like marine sergeants we dont hunch over either?
    of course wing chun folks area diverse group and there are bound to be differences in appearances.

I did provide an example. "The curved back like in Dragon or Bak Mei". Perhaps what you want is not an example but a name you can attach criticism to?

So, to clarify. Most Yip Man lineages hold their backs the same way including your Sifu. So we set this as baseline or straight. Now, have you ever seen someone curve the back?

Wannabe Warrior sez:

I did provide an example. "The curved back like in Dragon or Bak Mei". Perhaps what you want is not an example but a name you can attach criticism to?

((You are already assuming criticism of some kind. Your assumption. From pics that I have seen of Bak mei or Dragon postures- good Ip man wing chun postures are quite different from those styles))

So, to clarify. Most Yip Man lineages hold their backs the same way including your Sifu. So we set this as baseline or straight.

((Our perceptions must be different. There are 3 major parts of the structure of the back in slt. The top part may appear curved to you- because of the natural sinking of the shoulders and elbows))

Now, have you ever seen someone curve the back?

((Again- our eyes may be different. Some pictures from mainland
    versions of wing chun have shapes that some may say hasa curve- others may see a slant. Then there are sometimes wing chun and non wing chun octogenerians who dont have backs like the Buckingham palace guards. There are many possible sources of shape of backs besides wing chun. Again- the middle way- we dont stand like Marines - nor the opposite extreme of bent backs-
    the main axis is straight and all 3 dan tiens are aligned-in doing the slt))

One of my (non-WC) instructors is an exponent of Dragon Prawn boxing, among other things. Th rounded back in such styles is used to provide greater protection to the organs and meridians, centreline, etc. of the torso and to provide a small amount of extra reach.

I've not come across this in WC; most seem to advocate shoulders relaxed and dropped, and elbows held close to the body, but none to my knowledge advocate the comparatively extreme rounding of the back you talk about.

WC theory advocates a stragiht back for power generation, modern sports science advocates a straight or arched back for maximum power with minimum injury risk. Most WC styles rely on th deflection or strikes with the limbs or by pivoting and footwork, rather than changing the shape of the spine in this way.

As yuanfen says, it may be in the eye of the beholder, or someone who feels this approach works better for them. I seem to remember seeing a vid of someone working the WC dummy that way, but that's not something I would do.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

WC theory advocates a stragiht back for power generation

I've heard various explanations/observations/rationalizations for the straight back, but never "power generation". Would you mind elaborating on how a straight back (same as straight spine?) makes one more powerful?

To be honest, I don't quite agree with the straight back theory myself. The spine is designed to flex, not be a broomstick.

But just about every WC article I read seems to advocate it, for reasons of chi flow or jing or something else.

*Alignment* is important to economical and powerful movement, but there's more to it than just keeping the spine dead straight.

Try squatting or deadlifting 100 kg or more with a rounded back and you'll find out quick smart why that don't work (ouch). An arch is the only safe configuration.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

anerlich-thanks for the straight forward answer. Perhaps what you is explained is the reason for curving the back. I've never seen it done like this before so I was curious if others did it. I just was not sure what (if any) benefits they are obtaining.

yuenfen-A great thing about WCK is simplification. This is a good concept to add to our lives and words. I find those who dwell on every little detail often miss the big picture.

Wannabewarrior- thanks for you opinion. In understanding the
    simple- the devil often is in the details.

censored- the back straight is for the sil lim tao-helps the body understand the gravitational alignment-minimizing muscular tension. Then the body doesnt fight itself and develops power
    efficiently.

When the vertical alignment without rigidity is understood -then one can turn, bend /duck etc depending on the task at hand....
    just as a springy straight pole can bend and catapult an athlete overa bar.

Anybody see the Corrales- Cassamayor fight Saturday night?
    Corrales was taller, bigger, longer reach- dynamite in either hand...
    and also fast. Simple facts.But again details. Cassamayor -better timing and knowing when to attack... and which way to shift and when. Result Cassamayor tko-ed Corrales
    (who used to train here in Phoenix- once upon a time).

Originally posted by WannabeWarrior

I don't understand, plus I was just a lad in the single digits in the 70's. Care to elaborate?
    Sure. There used to be a bunch of folk that stood that way. Even with articles in magazines. I think they'd seen pictures of Yip Man with what looked like a backward lean & hips forward and got it a bit confused. Forcing their hips way forward rather than sinking, leaning back at the lumbar level etc. Not really the same rationale as with bak mei/dragon though.