Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ross vs. Abel

Ross vs. Abel

OK, here's the situation as I see it

Sifu Abel. Upset that Coach Ross has given up the majority of "traditional" training. Feels that Coach Ross is disrespecting the CMA with his approach.

Coach Ross. Feels that Sifu Abel's training produces pretty forms, but not fighting ability. Thinks the "traditional" method is inefficient.

Since both of you train people, why don't each one of you train a fighter, and put them in the ring against each other? If there's a lopsided victory, we'll know if one method is better than the other. If the fight is close, we'll know both methods are valid.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

And if you both to decide to represent your own camps, then the masses will be happy... sorta.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I think they're both a little too old for fighting themselves. Unless they are younger than I'm thinking.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Didn't sifu Ross accept a challenge with Mao Shan?
    And I have seen pictures of sifu Abel and while he is older he is not that old.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

you know what i think?

i think that a kung fu forum should be about kung fu, not about two guys's ego's and whatnot

*just wanted you guys to get a chick's perspective.
    ~Go beyond this way or that way, to the shore where the world dissolves and everything becomes clear. Beyond this shore and the shore, beyond the beyond, where there is no beginning, no end, without fear, go~

*catch me if you can*

Originally posted by ZEN
    you know what i think?

i think that a kung fu forum should be about kung fu, not about two guys's ego's and whatnot

*just wanted you guys to get a chick's perspective.
    You are soooooo new to this forum aren't you?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

i think ZEN just showed us up.

normally, i'd say royce would win, but in this case, it's ZEN by armbar.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Zen.

The Forum is not about CMA, but about *****ing, moaning and calling other styles useless and for issuing useless challenges.

Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability.

It's a public pool. Take a p*i*s*s* everyone else is.

*zips up*

Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

While a lot of people in Chinese martial art now subscribe to a new age, feel good, tree hugging philosophy (which is their right of course), a lot of us DO NOT, and whether you accept it or not, we are actually more in line with the real tradition

At least in this Abel and I do seem to agree

You know, I am the world's greatest badmitton player, but I never play against another person, because I would not want them to feel bad.

THAT is how most of KFO sounds to me.

Martial arts are about fighting, and there are all kinds of forums to test that skill. If you do not fight in some way, you are doing aerobics or folk art - but not martial arts.

Not to say that it should ONLY be about fighting. But for gosh sakes, why DO martial arts if you are unwilling to be martial?

Yeah, yeah,yeah, I know ALL the arguments - which why most of the time I'd rather have a Judo guy or a Muay Thai guy or a boxer at my back in a bar. Which is embarrasing, frankly.

And if you are too old, or to injured to fight - that's what students are for.

BTW - the real ego is the ego that does not let you test your skill and learn from your losses.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by lkfmdc
    While a lot of people in Chinese martial art now subscribe to a new age, feel good, tree hugging philosophy (which is their right of course), a lot of us DO NOT, and whether you accept it or not, we are actually more in line with the real tradition

At least in this Abel and I do seem to agree
    I love how lkmdfc frames this as an either or argument. Your either a tree hugging hippy or you're in his camp.

The real truth is that fighting ability should ALWAYS be tempered with "character development" or you are just creating a killing machine.

In the old days it would be like giving a kid a gun and not telling him when it was appropriate to use it or not.

There is a long tradition of this "character development" in martial arts training whether you are talking about Taoist, Buddhist, Muslim or Family lineages of kung fu.

"I am the world's greatest badmitton player, but I never play against another person, "

What? Trying to take my title!?
    I shall smash you with my badmitton prowess.
    The man in the chair behind you is me! And I sit smugly brandishing my badmitton raquet and golden birdie that thus proves my superior playing ability....
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

*There is a long tradition of this "character development" in martial arts training whether you are talking about Taoist, Buddhist, Muslim or Family lineages of kung fu.*

Which would more or less be the duty of a sifu to instill these traits... Which has been argued with me before... recently....

"In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.