Thread: Upcoming movie with capoeira streetfighting

Upcoming movie with capoeira streetfighting

I just saw a preview for this before a screening of "Rivers and Tides" (which totally kicks ass, but is a documentary about sculptor Andrew Goldworthy, so you guys might not be interested.)

Anyway, this movie is called "Madame Sata," and seems to be about a black guy from Rio de Janiero getting all caught up in crime, showbiz, intrigue and so on. The moves he showed in the trailer looked great, and were filmed in a way you could really see 'em. I'm gonna see it as soon as I can.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...dame_sata.html

There's a link to the trailer in quicktime.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 10-08-2003 at 01:17 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Thumbs up

some elements are a bit disturbing, but nothing to discriminate against. seems like an interesting film. Id watch it just to see how this guys martial artistry is portrayed.
    I sense it might be setting itself up for criticism from purists, but, with all endeavours one runs that risk.
    comes with the territory.

Seen it and well ...

If it's martial arts you want to see, you'll be disappointed.

However, I personally like Brazilian culture and for that reason enjoyed having a look at the movie. I'd recommend City of God as a **** good Brazilian movie too, while we are at it.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    Madame Satã is not exactly a capoeira movie, supposed to be awesome though, i havent seen it. Its ment to be one of the good new brazilian movies.
    If they are marketing as a MA movie, they are crazy u know.

My favourite brazilian movie is Cidade de Deus (City of God) its oh so awesome. O Homem que Copiava (with same actor of Madame Satã) is kick ass too.
    Last edited by Xebsball; 10-08-2003 at 05:04 PM.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

well after such good recommendations on these films they are definately worth checking out.
    the only question now is..how.

No, it's definitely not being marketed as a capoiera movie. I saw the preview at the artsiest cinema in town, and as you can tell from the trailer I linked to, the class war/crossdressing/bisexual stuff is emphasized pretty heavily. Still, the hero seems to have some moves, and it looks like it has a lot of potential for excellent drama. I figure it'll show on the same screens that show "American Splendor" not the ones that show "Blade II."
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.