Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating for Arsekicking (Recipe Exchange)

Hybrid View

Talking Eating for Arsekicking (Recipe Exchange)

After all this talk about flan, I figure that a recipe exchange might be in order. I know I need to start shedding a few pounds before March 4th, so any eating tips/recipes would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post a recipe shortly (after I get to eating, that is)
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Cut your refined carb intake. More fruits and veggies, less rice, pasta and bread. Dessert is RIGHT OUT.

Drink at least gallon of water a day. You will lose weight because your body won't "hoard" water.

Eat less and exercise more.

Have some fat and protein with every meal. This will slow digestion and reduce cravings to eat.

Don't eat before going to bed.

Weigh yourself every morning after your ****. You need to know how much water weight you lose overnight. This will be a factor w/regards to the last few pounds. I lose 4-5 pounds overnight.

I've been cutting weight for years and this works for me. Your mileage may vary.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Can't I just eat whatever the heck I want and wear the rubber suit before weigh in?

Crip, Ya like Mole? Espy says she's gonna make you some mole.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

That was great advice.

Also according to SC instructor John Wang, do not sweat for three days before the match and keep a piece of lemon peel in your mouth before the match if you are feeling antsy or nervous.

If you feel a little weak close to the match, have a bag of peanut M&M's for energy. 48 on the glycemic scale with fat and protien to slow the intake of carb sugar to avoid any insulin spike.

No fruit drinks or gatorade until the show is over. All water, "room temp" leading up to.

Wink

Crippled,
    You train with H20 and the SC boys. Didn't realize I was preachin'
    to the choir ya feck

MP-- Thanks for the advice. It's good to hear it from somebody who walks the walk, ya know.

WD- I love mole, and you know I love your wife's cooking.

Bai-He--

Pesto Chicken

Ingredients:

Pesto--
    approx. 1/2 cup chopped FRESH basil (never use dried)
    2 tablespoons pine nuts
    4 tablespoons grated Parmesean cheese (if out of parmesean, use romano)
    4 large garlic cloves
    1 cup olive oil
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    pepper to taste

4 boneless chicken breasts, trimmed.

combine ingredients (minus the chicken) in a blender until smooth.

add a dash of olive oil to a skillet and cook the chicken breasts until firm, and white all through. Drain the oil, then, in a serving dish mix the chicken and the sauce. Serves 2-3.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Originally posted by BAI HE
    Also according to SC instructor John Wang, do not sweat for three days before the match and keep a piece of lemon peel in your mouth before the match if you are feeling antsy or nervous.
    Why?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I gots lots of good recipes, I just dont really know how healthy any of them are.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

anything with 1 cup of oil doesn't sound all that healthy to me

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    Cut your refined carb intake. More fruits and veggies, less rice, pasta and bread. Dessert is RIGHT OUT.

Drink at least gallon of water a day. You will lose weight because your body won't "hoard" water.

Eat less and exercise more.

Have some fat and protein with every meal. This will slow digestion and reduce cravings to eat.

Don't eat before going to bed.

Weigh yourself every morning after your ****. You need to know how much water weight you lose overnight. This will be a factor w/regards to the last few pounds. I lose 4-5 pounds overnight.

I've been cutting weight for years and this works for me. Your mileage may vary.
    Thanks.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Originally posted by Watahhh
    anything with 1 cup of oil doesn't sound all that healthy to me
    Common misconception. It says Olive oil, which is actually good for you so long as you don't fry the crap out of it. It's not a saturated fat, like animal oils, so therefore not bad.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

I eat fried lard with pure butter center.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

don't sweat for three days before the match
    huh? This sounds like one of those bits of "lore" passed down. Boxing and wrestling are full of 'em, so I'm not trying to knock it, just wondering if there is any real basis for it.

I believe the lemon thing. I mean, why not? Many aromas and tastes are shown to reduce stress levels.

I disagree with the idea that you shouldn't drink gatorade, or something similar before the matches. One of the down shots of caloric restriction the day before, if you are close to weight and need to be careful, is depleted carbohydrate reserves/low blood sugar. I see nothing wrong with a stiff dose of sugar and electrolytes several hours prior to the matches. I will agree that if you don't have to time to digest it, you're going to feel bloated and under hydrated. However, a little extra sugar will increase hydration provided you have time to process it.

I also agree that lots of room temperature water is best for hydration overall--you really shouldn't rely on gatorade or similar drinks for rehydration.

FWIW, candy of any sort before a match makes me ill. I do better with real food. I recommend something low acid though.

Crippled--also, cut out soda, fruit juices and sports drinks. Calories that you don't think about, but there's a lot in there.

Finally, that recipe isn't bad, really. Limit yourself to one chicken breast and add a HUGE side salad. Make your dressings yourself so you know what's in them. Balsamic and a little olive oil go a long way, as do oregano, lemon juice and olive oil, or white vinegar, a little mustard and olive oil. Use much much less than you think you need.

*spoiler alert*

The below may limit your interest in this thread but for those times when you need to limit your calorie intake, but just HAVE to eat... plus ummm....clean yourself out, try this:

1 lbs of fresh spinach (I prefer baby. I'm a snot, so sue me.)
    2 T of minced garlic
    8-12 hot green peppers. I like thai bird, jalapeno or serrano.

Heat a large pot (or wok) over high heat. Add about one tablespoon of oil in the bottom and around one-half teaspoon of salt and the garlic and peppers. Saute and keep from burning. Just as the garlic starts to slightly brown, add the spinach. Stir a bit to coat (I use tongs). Pull off the heat just as it starts to wilt. Cover and allow to sit for a few minutes. You should have a not overcooked spinach dish.

I'll post a great beef with fermented black beans recipe (or pork or chicken) as well as a chicken with chili and cucumber and a "Manchurian" chicken recipe (I call it that because I recreated the recipe at home after having it at a restaurant and that's what they called it) later.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

Thumbs up

I would look for a specialized nutricionist dude or specialized doctor dude instead of MP's advice
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Originally posted by Merryprankster

huh? This sounds like one of those bits of "lore" passed down. Boxing and wrestling are full of 'em, so I'm not trying to knock it, just wondering if there is any real basis for it.

I have heard that you're supposed to take it easy for the last couple of days before a fight. Maybe it's a variation on that theme?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon