Thread: Split?

Question Split?

All other 7 major moves (wardoff, roll back, push, press, shoulder, elbow, takedown) are quite easy to grasp, at least conceptually.

As of split, I'm quite puzzled because it seems to contain two technique, chop (offensive) and separate(diffensive) which in my view are separate techniques. Are these two moves forced into one technique just to fit into Chinese number system of 5-8-13 or there is one coherent principle which bridge these two techniques?
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

my interpretation of 'split' is when you use opposing forces, like push and pull, simultaneously.

a good example would be the use of single whip, where you 'hook' the incomming punch, and pull it in, continuing the force towards you, while striking out towards the person with the other hand; thus increasing the effect of the strike.
    (sorry i didn't explain it better, hopefully you understand what i mean.)
    ... ok to clarify; i use single whip exactly as hsing-i's pi-chuan ("metal"/splitting) ... if you are familiar with that.

another example would be when you use 'strum the lute' to hyperextend the elbow.
    one hand applies pressure to the opponents wrist in one direction, and the other hand applies pressure to the attackers elbow in the other direction. - opposing forces.

someone please correct me if i am wrong.
    The more you know the less you need to show.

May you be filled with loving kindness.
    May you be well.
    May you be peaceful and at ease.
    May you be happy.

So chop technique is not a split?
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

Split is the dividing of the structural components - be it localized or whole-body method. It's the application of leverage which stabilizes one end, and moves the other in a direction which doesn't correspond with the natural range of human motion. Like.... Parting-horse's-mane, or Single-whip while standing on the opp's lead foot.

The classics liken Lieh to a flywheel and a whirlpool - spiraling and winding.

Split is one of the 4 basic hitting methods. It can be expressed in lots of different chan-ssu-chin/chin-na applications depending on how the energies are combined in oneself and separated in the opponent.

That's why separating the energies is one of the main focal points in solo form practice. Know the enemy...
    Tai Chi is