Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Viewpoint

1. Re: Well, I wouldn't go that far...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    ... Until then, I'll stick with what works for me. When the 'laws' of science restrict me, which can often be the case in our arena here, I defy laws.
    And how do you propose defying the law of gravity? Or conductivity? Etc. This line of 'whatever works' can only go so far. Ancient Chinese scientists and doctors recognized this and modern TCM-ists ignore 'western' advancements at their peril.

CT

i see no need to defy gravity and conductivity...

...ok, maybe in my youth when I dabbled in wushu, it would have been fun to defy gravity. But on the whole, gravity is a good thing. conductivity too.

The fundamental bottom line of "whatever works" is "works". Take my allergies for example. I ran the whole spectrum of allergy meds. Most of the OTC stuff made me too irritable, to the point where I almost attacked some poor stranger who stood in front of me with 11 items in a 10 item express checkout. The expensive scripts like beconase, et. al. made me too spacy to drive and function. Acupuncture worked. So that's what I used. When it stops working, I'll move on to something else.

As for gravity and conductivity, that works too. At least for me it does.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

lol

very down to earth post gene , no pun intended.

4. Cool Re: i see no need to defy gravity and conductivity...

Originally posted by GeneChing

The fundamental bottom line of "whatever works" is "works".
    Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying...and it does make a lot of sense.

To me though, aim at 'works' is the same thing that happens everywhere...eastern and western, science and TCM.

It seems to me that one of the main differences is that TCM has slowed down in asking "why 'it' works" and preferred to rest on shaky ground such as "it is ancient and venerable."

So, you probably can guess then why I thought VikingGoddess's suggestion for greater clinical studies, etc. a good one.

CT

now that's a great pun

Actually it's all moot. Since I moved to Fremont, my allergies have been minimal. Must be all that salt marsh air. Anyway, no allergies, no need for acupuncture. Which is good, since as I've stated before, I hate acupuncture. Also since claritin became OTC, that's been enough to handle the occasional hay fever attack. So as you can see, I'm not attached to modern medicine or TCM. I'm attached to results.

Ironically, one of my best friends became a licensed acupuncturist, but I'd never let him needle me. We're great buddies, but like any buddies, there's a lot of water under the bridge, and I just couldn't put myself in such a position of vulnerablility with him.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart