Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

I had a years worth of Krav Maga and have to agree with Green Clouds thoughts. It is a pretty good work out and does drill in the basics of striking and ground work. I think it would be a good compliment to something like JJ. For me, I left because it lacked any spiritual depth. I came up in a pretty traditional school so I guess I couldn't get use to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22
    I had a years worth of Krav Maga and have to agree with Green Clouds thoughts. It is a pretty good work out and does drill in the basics of striking and ground work. I think it would be a good compliment to something like JJ. For me, I left because it lacked any spiritual depth. I came up in a pretty traditional school so I guess I couldn't get use to it.
    Thats partly why I'm interested in it. I don't want any spiritual depth and I'm not interested in the traditional side either (at the moment any way). If I want that I'll look for it elsewhere - at the moment I want basics and pure self defence. Seems like it might be worth me having a go.
    --- time is never wasted when your wasted all the time ---

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs
    Thats partly why I'm interested in it. I don't want any spiritual depth and I'm not interested in the traditional side either (at the moment any way). If I want that I'll look for it elsewhere - at the moment I want basics and pure self defence. Seems like it might be worth me having a go.

Yeah I think pretty much the consensus on questions like this is just to go and try it for yourself to see if you like it. Good luck and be well.

A reaching block sounds like a great way to get your arm tooled....Especially against a trained fighter who's familiar with baiting.

just an observation...
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by CaptinPickAxe
    A reaching block sounds like a great way to get your arm tooled....Especially against a trained fighter who's familiar with baiting.

just an observation...
    One of the reasons I never went back
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I trained with IDF Soldiers when I was in Israel for about 4-5 months. These guys are tough as nails. But, like what Green Cloud said, it's all in Kung Fu. And a good percent of the guys I trained with had experience in other martial arts - southern mantis, muay thai, to name a couple. But then again, I was training with soldiers recieving the non-watered version.

peace
    Zvika

Do Any Schools on LI Teach Krav Maga?

I see on a website (Greencloud) that they teach Krav Maga. I know its fairly common for ATA places to have Krav classes but is this also Chinese arts?

How can I find out if they are certfied under Krav Maga Worldwide (without asking them)?

Anyone know?

I beleive that the school in Merrick is.

It is easy to get a school certified though. I believe it's a weekend or possibly a 5 day course if I'm not mistakened. The instructor must attend this and I think I remember hearing that the one in Merrick did.

Since the certification process is actually quite short, do your due diligence and check out any school that is certified. Certification is not like a gracie BJJ black belt. There will most likely be good KM guys and not so good ones too.

Just call the Krav Maga headquarters in Cali or check thier website for liscenced schools.

Good Luck.

http://www.kravmaga.com/

Contact them and ask about krav maga... they even have a list of real krav maga schools in the US
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The question I have is why Krav Maga?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Not sure I can answer that. Why not?

Are you saying something may be better? How can you quantify that?

The place Green Cloud teaches Choy Lay Fut but has Krav Maga. Is it better to take Choy Lay Fut there?

Look at it this way, of his three schools, Krav Maga is only offered at one of Sifu Gus's locations. He is definitely more into his CLF than krav maga. I'm at the wading river location and the classes aren't offered there and he really doesn't mention them. I'm sure the program is great but it definitely takes a back seat to the kung fu
    Everyone's favorite wooden dummy

"All over people thinking martial arts is for making sexy body. That one is a wrong. Martial art is for making sexy mind and sexy spirit"- Master Po
    http://www.greencloud.net

Don't be a victim. Be the dominant turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by KFNOOB View Post
    Not sure I can answer that. Why not?

Are you saying something may be better? How can you quantify that?

The place Green Cloud teaches Choy Lay Fut but has Krav Maga. Is it better to take Choy Lay Fut there?
    What I meant to ask was what are you hoping to get out of it?

The other question is what is missing from the instructor's main art in regards to technique, application or teaching method that they feel the need to offer something like KM? I'd hope it wasn't just another marketing scheme to separate a student from more of their money.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Which one on the schools teach Greek Pankration? Or do all of them?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I never went with Rafael but I'll take the bait anyway....my friend was going to his classes. Thats how thw whole Lama-CLF-Chan Tai San stuff started as we looked into the art.

Now...back to Krav Maga. A lot of ATA schools put Krav in to of course generate more business, but I see nothing wrong with that. Maybe those of you more dedicated to your art find it troublesome.

I am guessing (only guessing) that a school would seek to implement Krav Maga to appeal to the adult crowd looking for fitness with whats perceived to be an effective self defense system without uniforms or belts etc. Thats what appeals to me. Im pretty cetain the average age of a Krav Maga student is a lot older tham most other MA.