Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

Quote Originally Posted by masherdong View Post
    OH! No, we didnt use either....we used a steak knife that had a point. Yes, several people got cut, including one person that had to go and get stitches.
    who is we?? i was under the impression the questions were for you...

Sugar Land

Skip,

That is Krav Maga Worldwide that is off of SW Frwy. I am part of the IKMF and we are in Katy. Soon to be in Sugar Land and Bellaire!
    Let me know when'n where your coming to Sugar Land; I wanna see!

I do believe there are more martial arts schools in Sugar Land per sq mile than anywhere else in Houston. But there's always room for one more!
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    I do believe there are more martial arts schools in Sugar Land per sq mile than anywhere else in Houston. But there's always room for one more!
    they say you won't find jesus in church...

you got that right!

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    they say you won't find jesus in church...
    Hey uki, you must be reading my mind.... again... Yes, we do have more churches in Sugar Land than anywhere else in Houston too....

Altho, having the Lopez'es all win Olympic medals kinda ups the MA interest here some!

Still, as far as taiji goes, there are MA studios teaching taiji, and rec/senior center taiji programs, and of course the largest group is the Chinese residents of Sugar Land. Naturally, these are practice in the park kinda folks..... no MA studio for them... so between rec/senior center and parks folks, about 90% of the taiji students here are not in MA studios.

On the other hand most all of the tae kwan do and kung fu students here are in the many MA studios.
    .... Skip

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    who is we?? i was under the impression the questions were for you...

My instructor's training class.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Law Enforcement Asst Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

Quote Originally Posted by Skip J. View Post
    Let me know when'n where your coming to Sugar Land; I wanna see!

We will be inside Embody Fitness. That is located on Dulles and Lexington. We should be starting up at the end of the month. So, come on down!

Sure there are many MA studios, but, we are the only krav maga school that has permission to teach here in the Houston area under the International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF) headed by Eyal Yanilov. My colleague Larry Escher will be running that location.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

a few miles from there..

We will be inside Embody Fitness. That is located on Dulles and Lexington. We should be starting up at the end of the month. So, come on down!

Sure there are many MA studios, but, we are the only krav maga school that has permission to teach here in the Houston area under the International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF) headed by Eyal Yanilov. My colleague Larry Escher will be running that location.
    Thanks MD, I only live a few miles from there. I'll drop in on him in the near future when he has a chance to get it going. Oh yes, it will be the only KM school in Sugar Land.
    .... Skip

Skip, check your inbox.
    Owner & Chief Instructor
    Krav Fit Now
    www.kravfitnow.com
    281-687-4183

yes

gotcha.....
    .... Skip

Last nights slightly boozed up experience with Krav Maga

Greetings people

Londons sporting a massive heatwave now, so its kinda that time everyone heads to the parks with some beats and a bag full of booze, as did I yesterday. Anyhow I'd been sitting dehydrating in the sun all day, casually drinking and murdering packets of pretzels when the subject of Kung Fu arose. I demoed a bit of mantis and chatted about the concept of high/low theory.

Some hungarian tank came over and started chatting about his training in Krav Maga and then started bouncing about like he was wanting to spar with the guy I was chatting to. I figured i'd have to step up even though I was half cut.

This guy was super defensive and just held his guard up, and then occassionally rushed me for a clinch/knee. I tried getting in close using some WingChun/Mantis hybrid and ended up getting grappled and overpowered by his size, so I changed my tactics and starting attacking him long/medium range. This dude weighed like 95kg and I am only 70kg, so trying to uproot the SOB was more difficult than I'd imagined. I managed to get a good leg hook on him but spent so much power moving his legs that I was too off balance to follow up. So I stayed back, but aggressive, firing off side kicks to his torso. I stamped the front of his knees a few times (so what, he should have minded his own frickin business) so he wasn't moving as great, and also skimmed his face with a hurricane kick.

Then, so frustratingly, he caught a side kick to his waist, and let me hop a couple of times. I was trying to gain my balance so that I could jump and smash him in the face with my other foot, but then he let go with the sorta manner of "looks like I've won". SOB lol.

This made me reevaluate everything. WingChun, the system apparently designed for little vs large people didn't work as well as I thought (mind its not my main style) and I ended up getting bear hugged lol. My mantis held up okay, but I was mainly kicking or drilling in a horse stance to his ribs. He wasn't throwing enough punches to catch. Its a bit frustrating as I had a crowd of like 12 people...and I really wanted to deck this SOB.

So, what would you have done. What tactics would you have employed to get the upper hand. I'm 70kg and hes 95kg. Hes very defensive and likes to grab/knee. He doesn't kick at all and punches weren't thrown that often. Hes also a stocky mofo and im a light build.

Please discuss.
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 05-25-2010 at 07:26 AM.

You need to work on your stance more, more rooting and maybe some qigong.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Methinks your evade skills were dulled by booze, not to mention dehydration gassed you out quickly...probably all your reaction skills were dulled...your kicks should come back faster than you throw them out...and here's a hint--smaller guys don't fare well using power against power on big guys...you need to redirect his to your advantage (once again, some mantis and tai chi throws come to mind)...but at least the booze should have made you relaxed enough on any falls

My mantis held up okay, but I was mainly kicking or drilling in a horse stance to his ribs.
    hmmm...doesn't sound like any mantis I've done
    Last edited by TaichiMantis; 05-25-2010 at 07:37 AM.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    ou lou tsai can be used as an attack if you set it up by firing a strike at him, like a jab. When he brings his hand up to block, you can then triple pick and come in, throw a barrage and takedown.
    I prefer zoning to the outside and then sweeping his rear leg. It's as if you dissapeared and WHAM! down he goes, and he doesn't know where it came from.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Ha yes maybe a little but I wasn't wasted and felt like I was functioning normally. To successfully (well almost) land a hurricane kick to the dudes face shows my awareness wasn't too off.

Guiness aside....how would you play this?
    Last edited by monkeyfoot; 05-25-2010 at 07:39 AM.

Ten Tigers - I did try that with some success. He was holding his right guard hand out too far at one point, so I Ou Lou and then came across with a right hand swinging motion whilst the right foot sweeped from behind....but, his leg didnt move lol