Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

I will answer your E-mail when I get home, I'm at work now, but the school is off Kings Row.

Here is the forum I sometimes check out.-ED

http://www.kravmaga.com/forum/forum.cgi?forum=1
    "jooo jeestu's lika sex bro, you godda put your heeps to eet."
    -Megaton

Created by Imi Lichtenfeld. No nonsense, fighting art. Taught to Israeli Special Forces. No forms training. Has a reputation as being very effective.

More info at the Krav Maga Association official website.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

I went to the KM orientation seminar here when it first came to town. It was a hell of a workout. My black shirt had white salt all over it from sweating so much. It was definitely a different experience. They DO teach people how to FIGHT, and get them up to speed very quickly. They will do weird things to simulate the adreneline you might feel in a reality situation. Somthing like having you walk into a dark room not knowing if anyone is in there, or how many may be in there. Then someone will come up and apply a rear choke or somthing.

As far as the instructors, they go thru accelerated training, but it is also for almost the entire day. The training they get is the equivalent of a year or two. Also, they are only authorized to teach to certain levels. They have to go back for more training to teach the higher levels of the system. Not just anyone can become a teacher either. The KM organization is a very good one too. No political BS. I would train in it but it was too expensive for me right now. I would recommend it to anyone.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Taoboy

I heard it was created by a guy named Ibd Sde-Or...

http://www.kravmaga.com

Check out the forum. They will answer any question you may have if it hasn't been answered already. John Wittman is the moderator as well as the head of KM in N. America. He is a very nice guy. You won't get flamed for asking something that has been asked 50 times either.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Imi Lichtenfled is Imi Sde-Or

Chen Zhen,

Imi Lichtenfeld and Imi Sde-Or are the same person.
    Sde-or is the Hebrew for Lichtenfeld which means "light field".
    Imi began using the Hebrew translation is the 80s (I think).
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

Smile Is Krav Maga only way to go?

"Street fighting and martial arts are totally different things. Krav Maga is only martial art that works on street." - a pearl of wisdom from my friend whos only experience with MA is beginners course in sport TKD.

So what do you think? Should we all quit what we are doing and join nearest Krav Maga dojo?

i trust that's a rhetorical question.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Its funny when people actually fall for things like that.
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

Most of the "krav maga" done in the US is crap, pure and simple. Brilliant marketing but doesn't hold up to scrutiny. My favorite example is the gun defense where you grab the barrel of the pistol and punch the guy in the jaw with your closed fist....

Martial arts as practiced in most schools today IS significantly differnet than real world survival or "combative" skill as the recent turn of phrase calls it, but Krav Maga as done in the US isn't it either, it's right up there with the other "secret military systems" flooding the market now

want real "combatives"? Go to amazone.com and buy "Get Tough" or "Kill or Be Killed" ie anything by Fairbairn or Applegate

12. Thumbs up

"Street fighting and martial arts are totally different things. "
    He is absolutely right,he is a genius.

"Krava maga is only martial art that works on the street".
    That is utter nonsense,he is a fool.

I agree with above,but just canīt agree with below.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Kill or Be Killed in PDF format. Adobe Acroreader

additional sources.

A good friend in my class has been teaching me this form of combat. Check out his website @

Combat

I have no experience with krav maga, but to my understanding its a complete real world self defense system. No emphasis on art or sport, just self defense techniques developed by the Israeli military to be used in a life or death situation. Assuming that the techniques are practical (the Israelis KNOW what they are talking about when it comes to combat), then such an approach would be essential if your aim in studying MA is to learn good self defense. However, technical knowledge is useless without physical capability and conditioning to actually use it, and from what I've seen Krav Maga as taught in the U.S. rarely involves conditioning or sparring.

From what I've heard, KM 'teachers' in the USA buy the distribution rights to an area. Take a two week course in California & they're all set to go.
    You're meant to be able to learn it quickly, but teaching in a couple of weeks - that's impressive!!