Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Krav Maga

Yup.

I'll be sure to tell you what's similar, if anything, or if it's even any good.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

From what I gather, there is some sort of contract the KM execs have put together with ATA tkd schools. A lot of tkd schools are now sporting their very own KM programs. Basically the guys there go out to LA or wherever for a certain period of time and become licensed KM instructors. There is an extremely bad tkd mcdojo here (one that proudly proclaims they are a 'black belt academy)where the two chief instructors became licensed in KM. Funny thing is, that is what they are marketing to the adults but they are still marketing the black belt, after school, learn discipline, get good grades bs to the kiddies and parents.
    Check it out, but take a heavy does of cynicism with you.
    Probably better off staying away and just taking a boxing class or something.

I remember that a while ago my teacher said he saw a book or video of Krav Maga, and that it showed some knife defences that would definitely get you cut up. He got out his knife and showed us how the defence he saw wouldn't work against someone who knew what they were doing. I don't remember the specifics, just thought I'd share that with you, FWIW. I think Krav Maga is usually advertised as a kind of "reality" fighting system.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

"Kind of JKD'ish, but geared more towards pad work and jiu-jitsu like scenario's than actual sparring."

CORRECT!
    A

Don't put a lot of faith in a martial art that claims to teach effective gun disarms. 'nuff said.

6. Thumbs up

I´ve heard a lot of good about KM disarm techniques.
    Probably the same goes,as for the art generally itself...simplicity.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    A system~ of self defense. Related to Israeli. Works endurance.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I heard only good things about KM. They teach you some principles on how to fight and give you a bunch of dirty tricks and of you go. They train these techniques very thouroughly (~boring?) and thats why they are able to use them under stress.

Like the old saying "Its better to have one sharp knife than 100 dull"...

If you have little time getting proficiant in fighting, choose KM!

/Cheers;

From the VERY LIMITED stuff I've seen on Krav Maga, it has made me think of military style karate.

By that, I mean that they have some of the same techniques and mentality as karate but are much more violent about it.

I came away thinking that a lot of these moves would be fabulous if you were a soldier trying to take out an enemy soldier.

Whether or not these moves would be applicable to litigious US society, I don't know.

So you're back, Huang!

Why not go on over to the Southern Forum and finish the conversation you repeatedly dodged? You know the one!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Smile

So, how is it so far?

Krav is pretty cool. It's a great workout and they train hard. Seems to be pretty practical in terms of self-defense. It seems similar in many respects to Paul Vunak's JKD... i.e. the RAT system.

Although Krav seems to be more technique oriented. What I mean is there seemed to be a lot of Attack A, Response B type of stuff Of course that's just an impression I got from taking a few classes a couple of years ago.

KG

Krav maga in DC?

Does anyone know of a krav maga class in the DC metro area? Northern Virginia, ideally.

Thanks in advance.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Fighter's Garage.

http://www.fightersgarage.com/

Aha!

Is this where MP's friend trains? (I can't remember his name at the moment. Know the cat I'm talking about?)

I'm thinking it looks a bit hardcore for my wife's friend, mind you. (I should have mentioned that bit in the first place, I suppose.) I think she's looking for a slightly more low key introduction to the whole thing.

On the other hand, maybe I'm not giving her enough credit. I'll definitely pass this along to her, regardless.

Cheers Bill.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.