Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lo Man Kam

Lo Man Kam

Is he legit? He has a student named Bradley Temple that has a school in my city. Just wondering how is there reps, and has anyone trained with or under them?

Everything I have [I]heard[I/] is good about Lo Man Kam (Yip Man's Nephew taught Taiwan police) but I have not experienced any of that lineage first hand. If given the chance, I would love to touch hands with them and their "Police Kung Fu".

If you check them out let me know what you think.
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

John Kang who is with Lo man Kam and teaches in San Frnacisco is on this list!! May be away right now.

Talking

I know i'm biased, being a student of LMK's lineage here in NZ, but yeah - it's all good
    Last edited by Whiplash; 10-11-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Re: Lo Man Kam

Originally posted by Yung Apprentice
    Is he legit? He has a student named Bradley Temple that has a school in my city. Just wondering how is there reps, and has anyone trained with or under them?
    So, you live in Las Vegas? Lo Man Kam is the real deal by all accounts.

STUDENTS OF LO MAN KAM
    http://www.lomankam.org/2000student.html

Bradley Temple

http://www.lomankamwingchun.com/Frame%20set.htm

Yuanfen,

John Kang lives and teaches in Virginia now. In or about Richmond.

http://www.wingchun-sf.com/richmond/main.asp

I've met and trained with John Kang and his students and John's very good.

Regards,
    Last edited by John Weiland; 10-11-2003 at 09:32 PM.
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

this is from Sifu Bradley's site:

"Covering instead of Blocking_
    While many martial arts teach a student to block against specific attacks, the Wing Chun exponent learns to cover his open areas through body positioning and hand movements._ Although you may not know what attack your opponent will launch, you can position yourself in a way to limit his choices, and move your hands to stop whatever comes in._ Instead of answering A, B, or C to a multiple choice question which has not yet been asked, the practitioner is choosing D, "all of the above."_

I like this, i think it's agood way to put it....
    Aaron Vyvial

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

Hohum, lest it be mistaken that I only come out when my Sifu's name is mentioned, I just wanted to say that I have been really busy trying to set up my acupuncture business lately and have not had much of a chance to contribute to the forum. I just happened to be visiting today....

SO, before any rumor gets started, the following analogies related to this forum are NOT true:

Moy Yat:Tom Kagan::LMK:John Kang
    Randy Williams:Tapman::LMK John Kang.

OK, now on to the response at hand.

Yung Apprentice writes:
    > Is he (Lo Man Kam) legit?

I guess it all depends on how you define "legit." Obviously, I am biased in this matter, and I do think he is very good at what he does. From my observations based upon my time in Taiwan, I would say that Lo Man Kam's emphasis is on precise form; relaxed and fluid chi sao; and personal expression of principles.

Of all the people who I trained with when I was in Taiwan, Bradley Temple in Las Vegas is probably the one who really follows my Sifu's training method to the T. He does add a few things here and there, but it is about as "pure" as it gets, for better or for worse (once again, depending on your outlook). He is also works in the Las Vegas Jail system and has had a chance to use his stuff against roudy folks.

Now, regarding some of the inferences here. Yes, Sifu Lo is the nephew of Yip Man. I personally do not think this means anything. My father was a brilliant chemist, I barely passed chemistry. IMHO, genes do not matter as much as how much effort you put into something (At least, this is what I told my dad about my poor chemistry grades...).

But I think Sifu Lo's strength is his intuition and innovation. He has designed several cool training devices, devised his own chi sao progression, and has been able to pass on the essence of his Wing Chun to thousands of students of differing physical and mental capabilities. It helps that in going to Taiwan, he was able to interact with Sifus of other styles as well.
    JK-
    "Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

On to other observations..

And a few more things that stray off the main question...

Vyvvial writes:
    > but I have not experienced any of that lineage first hand.

You are Aaron, the guy with an entire arm tattoed who was training in the Richmond Moy Yat VT school, right? If so, then we did roll a few times back in 1999.

> If given the chance, I would love to touch hands with them and
    >their "Police Kung Fu".

It is important to note that most of Sifu Lo's Wing Chun students to not learn "Police Kung Fu" (which is an awful translation of the book that Sifu Lo wrote). We basically do straight Wing Chun.

"Police Kung Fu," (better translated as Martial Techniques for Police), is a system that integrates Wing Chun theories such as Centerline, simultaneous attack and defense, and covering with joint locking and throws.

cerebus writes:
    > So Johnny Kang hangs out on this thread?

I cringe even when my mother calls me Johnny. But I do hang out here when I have time.

Whiplash writes:
    > I know i'm biased, being a student of LMK's lineage here in NZ,

Are you a student of Bruce Cheng? He is simply amazing, one of the absolute best Wing Chun people I have ever seen.

John Weiland writes:
    > I've met and trained with John Kang and his students and
    > John's very good.

Wow. Thanks. I sincerely am flattered, especially since it is coming from someone who has very strong opinions about "good" Wing Chun.

I should add that your Sifu Ben Der is also one of the most amazing Wing Chun people I have seen, and I am really impressed with how he can pass his knowledge on to so many different people as well.

Vyvial writes:
    > this is from Sifu Bradley's site:
    >"Covering instead of Blocking

In all fairness, this is just a paraphrasing of Sifu Duncan Leung's explanation of covering (what we do when we are not sticking). Since Sifu Leung and Sifu Lo are good friends, I think it got transplated through him. But I don't know for sure.
    JK-

Hello John, consider me corrected, small world. I was in LA for most of 99 but before that we rolled at VCU if memory serves me. I really enjoyed that and I learned a lot, thanks for the training. Nice to hear from you.

I hope the school is going well, I'll try to stop by my next time in RVA.
    Aaron Vyvial

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

Re: On to other observations..

Originally posted by aelward
    Whiplash writes:
    > I know i'm biased, being a student of LMK's lineage here in NZ,

Are you a student of Bruce Cheng? He is simply amazing, one of the absolute best Wing Chun people I have ever seen.
    Sifu Cheng is my Sigung. Fortunatly for myself and my kung fu brothers he is an excellent teacher as well and it shows in the quality of my Sifu - Tony Brooks
    (sorry, i'll stop the pimping now )

I guess it all depends on how you define "legit
    I guess what it meant was, since I am not familiar with anyone in WC except Yip Man, I guess I was asking about his lineage. If he had so formal training etc. LIke I said outside of Yip Man I'm not familair with WC.

Are you familiar with Bradley Temple's training? Does he teach sparring, joint lockings, or chin na?

Yung Apprentice writes:
    > Are you familiar with Bradley Temple's training?

Bradley and I were training with Sifu Lo at almost the exact same period of time (1995-1999). However, in addition to the regular class, which met every weekday for 2-4 hours, Bradley also did private lessons with Sifu Lo for 2-3 hours every day. He also went through the entire Disciple ceremony... I think he is #13 (like Judas?).

In addition, Bradley also learned TKD as a youth, Shaolin styles from Xiao Peng in Taipei, and Chen Taiji in Chen Village in China.

>Does he teach sparring, joint lockings, or chin na?

As for what he teaches, I am not so sure. I think he teaches in a very similar manner as Sifu Lo; though he has also taken things from Sifu Lo's son Gorden Lu-- who in turn was influenced by Sifu Duncan Leung.

Probably the best thing to do would be to ask Bradley directly.
    JK-

Cerebus writes:
    > actually I think it might be because of "Johnny Jang". Whole
    > different CMA

Hah, Sifu Johnny Jang is my internal styles teacher. Really great guy, both in personality and skill. Sometimes, I wear that T-shirt, and people misread it as my name since it is really similar to mine....
    JK-

Sigung Lo Man Kam

Greetings from Germany to all that walk along the Wing Chun path!! Being that I am new to this site I will be brief.
    Anyone that can teach and challenge a individual to maximize his or her true potential in Wing Chun and teach them something they; the individual deems noteworthy, and or gives them something that the individual can measure in a true test of their abilities, be it on the street, in the ring, etc etc could be coined as a good instructor, however just because a instructor has a big name does not mean that he or she is a "good instructor".........In my travels in the martial arts world I have met many martial artist, and a few of them really comes to the forefront.........In me reading a column titled `"Is He Legit" I paused for a few seconds then began to smile......It would seem that the public has finally caught on to a true torch bearer in the Lo Man Kam Wing Chun System: If anyone reading this has questions and or comments, there are plenty that have met and have sacrificed their time to travel to Taiwan and had the opportunity to train under Sigung Lo; When in the area and or the availability of a LMK seminar just drop by a few of the schools that have the gold and black logo and see what Sigungs Lo approach and the Sifu of those respective schools have to offer, I am certain you will not be dissappointed...............but first make sure that your cup is empty!
    "CAN.............CANNOT"

I am not in master Lo Min Kam's organization, however,
    I did visit master Lo's school in Taipei back in 1997 and saw Bradley Temple practicing with master Lo. IMO, Bradley is legitimate follower of Lo Min Kam and a verified WC teacher.

Regards,
    John D.