Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Challenges

I don't know all the circumstances or details on your situation, but in general it sounds like it's best to just walk away from it.

A challenge of your skills is one thing, but when hostiliies are present, now your talking something that is more of a selfdefence situation "Disguised" as a challenge. If you do decide to do it, make sure it's in a ring, at a sanctioned event under the rules put forth by the santioning body. MAKE SURE you don't stray from those rules yourself. Let him do so and get evicted form the ring.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Rules were proposed, but the fact is, I've got family, and I'm not placing my health in another person's hands who I know just wants to fight me for such reasons, so it would be ugly, rules or no rules.

KL, your post is helpful, and you can be certain that if I were just attacked, I wouldn't agonize over my decisions, but simply get myself home in one piece.

What's the hua hu ching?

You said it best...
    Rules were proposed, but the fact is, I've got family, and I'm not placing my health in another person's hands who I know just wants to fight me for such reasons, so it would be ugly, rules or no rules.
    If he pushes the issue you have to make sure he knows that it'll be an assault on his part, because that's how you're looking at it and what you've told others.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

KC Elbows-

It sounds like you already know what you should do, but you are thinking more about what your ego wants you to do. With the bad blood between the two of you, I am sure that you have some hostilities that you would like to get out. What better way than to kick the $#!t out of that guy? You said that you dont want this person to have any more negative effects on your life...well, getting into some fight where either one of you could suffer some serious consequences is a negative situation. I have seen a lot of friends that tried to do something very similar. They try fighting their problems away and say that when that is over its over. It never works that way. I hope that you find out what you really should do. Good luck....and if it does come down to it...kick him in the nuts...twice....that's what I do all the time and it works like a charm!

Ben

ps. just remember that a lot of fights arent over after the last blow lands. There is always the chance of this guy trying to get back at you if you kick his @$$. You said that you have a family also, think about what is best for them. This guy knows you pretty well it sounds, I am sure he will be able to think of ways to get back at you. Not that you couldnt take care of him after he does something like that, but do you really feel like dealing with the potentially bad situations?

Rogue,
    If I accepted such a challenge, I wouldn't then turn around and call the police saying it was assault. However, if he chose to just attack me, that's different. You're probably right, there's no way to step into it that isn't messy that way. Either I would have to trust him to exercise restraint that he hasn't thus far shown in this whole situation, or I would have to go at it expecting it to be a mess.

Pretty much everyone here has confirmed my thoughts on it. Got done talking to my sifu about it, and he's behind me on the rational decision. That was one of my main concerns.

Ninthdrunk,
    I dunno if it was ego so much as worrying about letting my school down, which appears to be a moot point, they aren't concerned. I really don't have any angst towards this guy, I just can't afford to have him hanging around.

As an aside, the "rules" were "mma rules". As we tend to mix it up in sparring with what ground work we have, after that was brought up, I later thought to myself "Wait, is there 'mma rules'? Is it Pride rules, or ufc, or what?" Anyway, I'd love to fight under those rules FOR THE EXPERIENCE of it, but this is not exactly what I was thinking of with that, this is just weird.

On the up side, the whole experience has motivated a few of us to get together more for sparring during the week, including a friend of a friend who boxes pretty well, which will improve all of our fighting.

Anyway, thanks guys.

challege thread

I recently posted a similar thread on the Mantis forum which got some nice answers.

I challenge KC elbows to a match of full contact qigong!
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

KC, you're in a tough situation ... be carfeul.

Don't except it because its the "MA" thing to do.

Don't not accept it out of concern, because that is a defeatest mindset and you'll regret it.

****. Sorry. Not much help.

Maybe this will make you feel better. A big a$$ ba gua sifu challenged me about a year ago and I sort of accepeted, said I needed more time ... and he was kind enough to allow it.

Time came and I was injured. I still am and missed a tournament last month and won't make the King of San Da next month either.

What can you do? I'm confident in my technique now and the sifu must have moved on to bigger fish but I suspect we'll cross hands someday. My concern is that such a big thing has been made of it that it will be more than a I got you you got me sort of thing. Too much pride on both sides.

Just keep training, control your ground.
    Ray Pina

Shaolin-Do, everyone likes you here and you have tons of funny little side comments, but this is a serious matter someone came posting about.

EF, Sd is okay, he's just reducing things to their comical base, I'd be the last person on earth to complain about that. Thanks for the advice.

And SD, everybody knows you've only done point chi kung.

put on some 14 or 16 oz boxing gloves, get somebody or a few to witness and break it up if it gets out of hand and just go at it toughman style, no kicks, all punches. Chances are you guys will pound each other but no one will get seriously hurt and after a little while you will both get exausted and someone will say "you wanna stop?" and the other will say "you wanna stop?" and that will be it. You guys still won't like each other but you won't want to fight anymore either and there will be little enough damage to leave open the posibility of a reconciliation in the future, assuming one or both of you change.

I totally agreee, but in saying all of that ..truoly? When is a challenge a cgallenge? I practice ninjitsu and the artt of fighting without fighting which involves physical and physycological evasion tactics..as in ..not until is absolutely neccessary..as little force is as neccessary. . even after te blow hhas been delivered if you stil have an evasion move without suffring harm or striking..what is the cosher thing to do? seriously, because if i'm seriously feeling a threat outside of school..i'm gonna hurt hurt you and am ashamed to admit I may even go for lethal?? Life or death or an nsignificant "pain" to save your life or my life imprisonment sentence? This is a serious querie and I would never field it elsewhere.

Ninjitsu? I thought you guys cut people's throats while they slept

Seriously though, I met a student at a party last March and we stepped outside for a bit ... I was really impressed. I wasn't expecting much, thinking about the 1980s ninja craze. But his source of power in regard to the arms was not too different from Hsing-I, using the upper back and shoulder. I made this comment and he didn't quite understand what I meant, which to me, meant good training. Just doing it hsi way because that's how he was taught.

My only critisms was that he was not direct enough. While his evasiveness would work against most on the street, he underestimated my ability to read him cutting out to the outside, adhere and intersect his line with my fully body weight, driving off the back leg ... I had 15lbs on him at least though. And like I said, I was impressed. A man a little better trained, more experienced and my size ... very interested!

Hehehe.... My .02 since this is serious.
    If he disrespected you or someone close, and you know it will be a good match, may as well take it. If you know you would lose, of course dont. If you know you could win, may as well teach him a lesson. If you really feel there is no need to fight him, dont. Personally if someone pizzed me off enough and challenged me, Id be more than happy to make an example of them. Anyhow... you are the only one that can decide what's right to do. Whats right for me may be wrong for you.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Have him meet you at the Palace of Blue Gardens, and have your crazed body gaurds the "Crazy 88's" surround him with Katanna's.

No wait, that's a movie.

Blow it off.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star