Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Snake?

Golden Snake?

OK, in IKF this month, they have that article on "Shaolin Golden Snake" style. Since this guy has a mullet and lives in KY, I'm assuming this is a Shaolin-Do guy? And if so, I thought Sin The' was the only one who knew "Golden Snake"?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

actually MK,

that guy is from the Ng family kung fu school. i was only able to gloss through the mag a few weeks ago, so i don't know anything about the Ng lineage regarding Golden Snake. GM Sin is the only one in SD who knows it because he hasn't (yet) taught it out to anyone.

I dunno. Ill go pick up a copy in a few minutes and get back to you.
    I too, thought SKT was the only one who knew "golden snake", although I have heard nothing but good of B.K. Frantiz's snake style bagua.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

He isn't an SD guy, but there are other non-coif comparisions. He is from Kentucky. His lineage is from John Ng, who also claims a connection to the Southern temple. Sin The is supposed to be the "Golden Snake" master, but that's not to say that other people did not learn part of the system.

BTW, I still haven't read the article yet, but it has been discussed in my circle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Re: Golden Snake?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Since this guy has a mullet and lives in KY, I'm assuming this is a Shaolin-Do guy?
    Now that was funny.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Golden Snake is what I call my manhood
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Re: Golden Snake?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Since this guy has a mullet and lives in KY, I'm assuming this is a Shaolin-Do guy?
    What does a mullet have to do with Shoalin-Do?

Good article, though. It's always interesting to hear the lore behind how a style was formed. I too think the old rat should have won.

Sd? Um no. They were of the group that jumped a bunch of blackbelts at one of our tournaments years ago. It was a dishonorable thing to do and there was an interesting result from one of their top guys fighting one of our top guys.

Please don't push this article off on us SD guys. We get enough slack on these boards as it is. I particularly liked the snake skin cowboy boots he was working out in. Couple this with the blue jeans, blue jean shirt unbuttoned to show his chest hair and gold chain, along with his mullet (only GM Sin can grow a respectable mullet ) and you have a humorous picture. I'm not sure why they didn't do the pictorial in their uniforms. I also enjoyed their pic of strength training by having someone sit on your shoulders while they stood in 'low' stances. For those that saw the pic you will see what I mean.

I hope this isn't the same caliber golden snake that GM Sin does. Or maybe the picture layout wasn't able to capture the essence of the art. I wasn't impressed by the article, for something that is supposed to be so high level.
    Last edited by themeecer; 10-14-2003 at 04:33 AM.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Props to them for getting any info out about the style. I know people who've been in shaolin-do for 20+ years who've never heard a thing about "Golden Snake" except that it's the grandmaster's special style.

It's an interesting irony that a school SD has a "history" with will now be credited as the experts on "Golden Snake style". So now, in 15-20 years when GM Sin's grandson (or whoever) comes out and says, "My grandpa taught me this, and I'm the Golden Snake Master." The response will be, "Everyone knows that it's Ng family that teaches Golden Snake...and your's looks nothing like theirs. You bought the DVD and copied what they do....badly."
    I guess that's the (deserved?) price you pay when you follow the Chinese way of "keeping the best stuff secret"...that and who knows how much material/history being lost to misfortune.

It's funny that I'm seeing a lot of "rolleyes" over the Ng family article...I was under the impression that they were greatly respected by the CMA community.
    Au shaolin arts (KY branch anyway) teaches part of their curriculum alongside Hung Gar and Choy Li Fut...4 seasons martial arts...etc.
    Here's another site of theirs that google turned up:
    http://www.sillumkungfu.com/lineage.html

Edit:

And one site linked from that site states "Sifu John Dufresne's" many CMA accolades...including:
    "In 1991 he was a coach of the US Team in the First World Wu-Shu Tournament, held in Beijing, China."

"One who studies Wu-Shu is committed to a peaceful spirit”—Sifu Dufresne

Yep, that's what I heard about him. A peaceful sort of fellow.

Last edited by Radhnoti; 10-13-2003 at 10:42 PM.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

They are good, really good. I have seen John Dufrense perform several times. If anyone has said anything different, well they are mis-informed.

heh, Dufresne is anything but peaceful.

I love the oh so humble attitude presented on that page. And if you look through the rest of the site, there are a couple of digs straight at shaolin-do, which seems kind of pointless.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

So now, in 15-20 years when GM Sin's grandson (or whoever) comes out and says, "My grandpa taught me this, and I'm the Golden Snake Master."
    Does Sin The's have kids?
    Please don't push this article off on us SD guys. We get enough slack on these boards as it is. I particularly liked the snake skin cowboy boots he was working out in. Couple this with the blue jeans, blue jean shirt unbuttoned to show his chest hair and gold chain, along with his mullet
    All that's missing is an El Camino up on cinder-blocks in the guy's front yard.

Does Sin The's have kids?
    He's got a daughter... don't know if there's any others. I remember seeing something about her writting a script for a Shaolin-Do movie.