Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Golden Snake?

I am sorry that I do not visit this board more often. Perhaps I would have been able to clear up any questions before things went quite in the direction that they did. My name is Shane Bryant, and I am a closed door student of Master Tim Pickens, the author of the mentioned article. I have trained with him since I was twelve years old, and he is my family. First, any deragatory comments towards him I will now disregard and assume that they were originally made in good fun. After this message I will no longer make that assumption. John Dufresne is my uncle in the arts. I have the highest respect for his abilities and his growth as a martial artist and more importantly as a man. I won't be involved in any discussion on the nature of his character from this point forward. Beyond that, he certainly does not need me to defend him as his accomplishments are numerous and easy enough to find out on your own.

On to the things that I do wish to discuss. My teacher as well as his brother, Master Ricky Pickens, who I have also trained with regularly and also regard as my family, both recieved black belts from Sin The in the Shaolin-Do organization. When Rick met Dr. John Ng while attending Eastern Kentucky University, they switched thier training to Dr. Ng's family arts, feeling that this training was better suited to their goals as martial artists. The Southern Golden Snake art that my teacher is speaking of in this article is from Dr. Ng's system and not from the Shaolin-Do system. Neither of the Masters Pickens have any current affiliation with that organization. Also, my martial uncle Master Mark Speck was mentioned as well. Master Speck also originally began in the Shaolin-Do system, but left when he met Master Rick Pickens to become a student of the Pickens Brothers. He is, to this date, the most learned of their students, as well as a good man, which is more important.

Now, many of the comments made in this discussion thread were negative, which immediately makes me suspect that perhaps the individuals involved just wanted to bash something and be heard, not to contribute or learn. However, I am going to make yet another assumption (despite what we all know that makes me) and assume that you all do want to share information in humility so that we may all grow in our knowledge. In that spirit, I invite all of you who still have questions to email me at shane_bryant@hotmail.com and I will be happy to talk to you in length about whatever it is that you are curious about in regards to this article or our style in general. If I do not have the answers I will tell you so, but I will also go to my teachers and try to get them for you. I AM willing to respond to questions on this board, but that is not exactly my favorite thing. I prefer private correspondence as those who wish to truly have a discussion are not interrupted by those who only wish to speak without meaning. A lesson to them is that there is a difference between having pride in your system and its heritage and loving your teachers, and what often occurs on this board. The first is very personal and strong, while the latter is fragile and based upon feelings of inadequacy and an ego that must be catered to by publicly crusading against any who take issue with you in order to combat those feelings.

One final note, to themeecer. I truly expect to hear from you. You wrote with the connotation that you had disdain for the information contained in the article. I will not argue with you because I know the quality of the results contained in these teachings. I will humble myself to you now because I am nothing and ask you to share knowledge in return.

To all of you again, please, I invite discourse.

Shane Bryant

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    Ng claims to teach 5 animal form, linear Ba Gua, various animal forms, Tiger/Crane, Golden Snake, and Wing Chun.
    WTF?

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Shane I emailed you.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

wow, for second there i felt like a fly on the wall at a knights of the round table discussion.

can we put this whole sd thing to bed now?

greaaaat, thanks. Have a beer.
    cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Serpent

WTF?

You've got me Serpent. It's from his website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

help you guys out a little bit on understanding the whole "what's in a name" thang.

Linear Baguazhang

K, there are more examples of teh concepts involved with so called "linear" baguazhang. It still has circle walking as does all Bagua, if that's what is throwing you off.

It's lines of attack are direct though and there are other aspects of linear baguazhang that as you can see from the chart, make it appear to be along the lines of bajiquan, xingyi, etc.

but just wanted to clear that up a bit,

you can find lots more about it if you do a google on "linear baguazhang"

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Concerning the linear bagua from Ng family site - if you read in their site history about Dr. Ng, it states that this style of linear bagua is unique to his family or some such.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never break under the pressure!

Blog Entries
    Is the Southern United States really that far from China?

I just can't take this anymore.

If you are Chinese and know some form of MA can you just open your own Golden (insert animal) school and will people buy into it?

Prof. Kang Ge Wu's Bagua video shows a good example of linear Baguazhang in China(you can find it at plumpub.com)

If you are Chinese and know some form of MA can you just open your own Golden (insert animal) school and will people buy into it?
    You'd be surprised what we can get away with in this area, esp. if you're Chinese I could have my own kungfu cult in less than a month, and I'm a 23 year old white guy, lol

Fu-Pow - I am not certain that you were saying that the Southern Golden Snake system that we teach is a farce or not, but I can see how your post could be taken as such. Thus, I am going to offer a few methods to verify the authenticity of our system. As a general rule, I do not do this, but since I stated earlier I would respond to messages on this thread, I will. Other avenues and methods exist to accomplish this same task, but I will leave it to those who seek knowledge to search them out.

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming would certainly vouch for Dr. Ng's system. They are colleagues and have given demo's together as early as the 1980's. I have some pics of them together, but they are from magazines and I am not sure they can be published here. If you are interested I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be a problem with me attaching them to an email. Eric Lee is also a friend of Dr. Ng's, and visited his school occasionally when Dr. Ng taught openly. Pics of them together are available on the web. Grandmaster Chan Pui is also an acquaintance of Dr. Ng's and I imagine he too would speak for the authenticity of our system. I think I have a pic of Grandmaster Chan, Dr. Ng, and Moy Yat, but I am not sure. As I said, other avenues exist for discovery, but these are a good starting place. Due to the nature of the individuals mentioned, it might be difficult to speak with them, but I promise that it is not impossible. Besides, knowledge is most prized when true effort is put into the search for it.

Also, I would like to point out that our SYSTEM is Ng Family Kung Fu. The Southern Golden Snake is a style within the system. Often we use the terms interchangeably, I do it myself as much as anyone, but I wanted to note here that we do not advertise to teach Southern Golden Snake (actually we don't advertise at all, at least I and my teacher do not) but, again, to teach Ng Family Kung Fu.

Thank you.

Shane Bryant

"Concerning the linear bagua from Ng family site - if you read in their site history about Dr. Ng, it states that this style of linear bagua is unique to his family or some such."

No it's not unique.
    Gao style has many "Post heaven" Linear drills and forms.
    It is one of the trademarks of the system.

The Ng family pics look BaiJi flavored.
    Most BaGua will look flavored though, depending on the branch and whom it passed through. To be Baiji flavored would only be a good thing IMHO>

how does one pronounce Ng anyway?
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

Ummm.
    Sometimes Wu, so I've heard.

Ng is pronounced ing(as in runing) or Wu(Mandarin). All my friends named Ng pronounce it the first way.