Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Snake?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I doubt the movie will ever get made. In fact, if I were in SD, I would pray that it doesn't. The last thing you guys need is that kind of exposure on your story. No telling who it would bring out of the woodwork.

However, you can always watch the SD Documentary
    nice one MK, how the hell did u ever even know about that movie...must've once been a fan of the mullet (or SD) yourself, huh?

as for the movie, who knows, wouldn't u think it would work for both sides, in that the exposure and controversy it would bring could only stimulate more conversation on both sides and inevitably greater research into the art's history and forms by the CMA (including SD) community as a whole?

His daughter is gorgeous, too. Brad, where did you read about her writing the script?
    It was on one of the websites awhile back. I allways seem to remember strange obscure information that doesn't concern me

as for the movie, who knows, wouldn't u think it would work for both sides, in that the exposure and controversy it would bring could only stimulate more conversation on both sides and inevitably greater research into the art's history and forms by the CMA (including SD) community as a whole?
    I doubt it :-P

Originally posted by themeecer
    Sd? Um no. They were of the group that jumped a bunch of blackbelts at one of our tournaments years ago. It was a dishonorable thing to do and there was an interesting result from one of their top guys fighting one of our top guys.
    Well it appears there's some sort of SD connection:
    Sifu Rick Pickens claims a Shaolin-Do black belt.
    Sifu Mark Speck claims a SD green belt.
    I certainly won't jump to any conclusions, but it does make the discussion more interesting.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
    In practice, there is.

And one site linked from that site states "Sifu John Dufresne's" many CMA accolades...including:
    "In 1991 he was a coach of the US Team in the First World Wu-Shu Tournament, held in Beijing, China."

"One who studies Wu-Shu is committed to a peaceful spirit”—Sifu Dufresne
    What site did this come from?

Ok, Im sorry but...

"Since this guy has a mullet and lives in KY, I'm assuming this is a Shaolin-Do guy?"

....this is as funny as crap. (and crap's pretty funny)
    Aaron Vyvial

"If you want to be good, you will be"

Moy Yat Kung Fu Academy

training video

I'll sell my crap to you crap-lovva
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Originally posted by kenso

Well it appears there's some sort of SD connection:
    Sifu Rick Pickens claims a Shaolin-Do black belt.
    Sifu Mark Speck claims a SD green belt.
    I certainly won't jump to any conclusions, but it does make the discussion more interesting.
    There's a lot of corss over in students. Dufrense has a black belt in Sd too. Like I said, familiarity breeds contempt.

BTW, I've seen their stuff and I have learned a few of their forms. It's not bad. A bit more flowery than the stuff I was taught. They appear to be good martial artists, but because they and Sd run in the same circles, they seem to butt heads often. It was not, imho, better than what I learned in SD. They were pretty similar, just a bit more flashy. Ng claims to teach 5 animal form, linear Ba Gua, various animal forms, Tiger/Crane, Golden Snake, and Wing Chun.

The incident that themeecer referred too occurred when a group of SD students left to joing Ng and then came back to a tournament and began to taunt the SD people. There are several different accounts of the outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

nice one MK, how the hell did u ever even know about that movie...must've once been a fan of the mullet (or SD) yourself, huh?
    SD guys have been talking about it forever. Besides that, you guys gush like school girls about it on Mullin's board....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Not everybody gushes over it over there.

I do think the Su Kong story would be interesting if done well (whether you believe it's legite or a myth it has that old school Chinese larger than life feel to it), but unless it's done really well, it would just be hokey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    SD guys have been talking about it forever. Besides that, you guys gush like school girls about it on Mullin's board....
    i was actually referring to how you knew about MULLET: the movie, that you linked!

I have also been told that either: Dufresne was still in SD and then also started training with Ng at the same time or had already been with Ng and went to do SD, and was then ridden hard by the upper black belts at the time because of his association with Ng. I can't remember the exact sequence at the moment. Either way, there were a couple, maybe more, senior blacks giving him a hard time because of his association with Ng, for whatever reason, and that ended up creating some bad blood.
    As with any story related by a third party, take with a grain of salt. But this was coming from 'within the family' so to speak.

Dufresne has had his share of troubles recently. I would assume (hope) he's gotten everything straightened out, since it now appears he's moved and opened a school in MA.

And that movie has been in the works for probably 20 years. I remember hearing about how all the instructors needed to prepare for the huge influx of students that would happen when the movie came out, and that was 7 years ago.
    Last edited by Ground Dragon; 10-15-2003 at 07:20 AM.

i was actually referring to how you knew about MULLET: the movie, that you linked!
    If you like that movie, you'l love mullets galore !
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Brad - "What site did this come from?"

Here ya go:

http://www.tiendaowushu.com/history.html
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Thanks! But... where's the part about him being a coach of the US wushu team? Am I just blind?

Brad...you must be, my earlier statement is a cut and paste from that page.

Keep it simple, stupid.