Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nan-King Guoshu Institute Curriculum

CrazyDan Guest

Nan-King Guoshu Institute Curriculum

Anyone had any expierence with what they teach? Like the one described at http://www.beijingkungfu.com/Styles/Styles.html

Anyone know where I can get some more info on the Nan-King Guoshu Institute Curriculum other than that site?

Thanks.

Stranger Guest
    Dennis Rovere's sifu, Chang Hsiang-Wu, was an instructor there.

Tung Sheng Ch'ang and Huang Po-Nien were also instructors there.

These three adapted traditional Hsing-i into "Military Hsing-i".

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

rovere Guest

correcting misinformation

My teacher Col. Chang Hsiang Wu taught at the Central MILITARY (Army) Academy at Nanjing. To the best of my knowledge he did not teach at the Guo Shu Academy. he did however know many of the instructors there.

SaekSan Guest

Here's a link to a previous discussion...

Pay close attention to "NorthernShaolin" replies... excellent info.

http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/Open...542#3121927542

Stranger Guest
    sorry, no disrespect intended. :o

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

What Happened To The Nanjing Guoshu Institute

Is this school up and running today. I have heard of plenty masters that taught there, but does it exist today?

Well, according to historical notes, the Institute moved out of Nanjing at the beginning of the war...place that in the late 30's I guess. With the end of the war it moved back to Nanjing and was defunct by 1948 -just in time for NEw China...

But it was tenuous before that. What started as a good idea with a couple of people supposedly spearheading it descended into a bit of chaos.

For example, Wang Ziping was the head of the Shaolin division. At first, everything was OK. Then they let politics and envy enter in and it became accepted practice that any teacher could be challenged by another master for his job...this was not a simple argument but a definite challenge match. As this continued, it was later opened to pretty much anyone could challenge a teacher for his job.

Wang Ziping, for example, weathered a number of these challenges. In one challenge, some jealous person put the senior people in one of his classes up to having all of them challenge Wang at the same time- essentially the plan was to be one after the other.

Wang, not wanting to have any serious injury, changed the class for that day to wrestling. He then took on each student - there were around 15 of them..don't recall the exact number...but if you are interested, the entire affair is recounted in the book, Wang Ziping and Wushu. Anyway, Wang threw something like 12 of them before the remaining students decided they did not want to compete.

A bit later, one master who was actually a friend of Wang Ziping's fell upon hard times and was paid to challenge a teacher at the Institute. Turns out the teacher was Wang Ziping.

Wang, seeing his friend issuing the challenge, tried to talk him out of the fight. The man then said something to the effect that he had already taken the money and had to do it. Wang, resigned to the fight, told him to come on...but that he would lose.

The man attacked severla times and Wang retreated. Then, Wang ended up in a position where he had to attack back..and did. One attack and the affair was over with the other man being taken to what was equivalent of a hospital.

Wang Ziping paid for the man's treatment out of friendship but decided it was then time to leave the Institute.

Interestingly enough, with Wang's departure, the other man did not take a position there either. both left Nanjing.

So, given this level of politics and problems, it was only a matter of time before either government control occurred or the Institute failed. The war simply sped up the process.

What about the Kuoshu federation that exists in Taiwan?

From what I hear its not very active as they tended to depend on the US branch sponsoring and running many events. But they had a falling out about money or something...

Now even they are not connected any more to each other. It tends to just be a name and not anything like what the original concept was.

Since the link above goes to an old, non existant KFO page, does anyone today know what the Nanjing Kuo Shou's curriculum was?

Thumbs up

there were some manuals for trainee there.

however, more important were the interactions among the instructors.

such as pi gua incorporated some tong bei stepping methods and improved.

some new forms or compilation/summary of sword forms and staff forms.

these forms/compilations are still being taught in college kuoshu clubs in Taiwan.

and of course part of Wu Tan curriculum.

--

Does anyone have a definitive curriculum list? or was it more like a university where you took courses in different things?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I believe Adam Hsu,George Xu, as well as Yang Jwing-Ming were all products of that school. Check their sites.

http://www.wushu2008.cn/viewthread.p...extra=page%3D1

here is an article with a brief history and organization.

formed in 1928 and ended in 1948.

Slightly OT

I liked the pix...

Chinese kung fu masters hold public presentation
    GBTIMES BEIJING
    2016/12/19

A host of Chinese kung fu masters gathered in Nanjing, Jiangsu Province on December 16 in a public display of martial arts.

The public were treated to performance from masters of eight important branches of Chinese martial arts, including Shaoling, Wudang, Emei, Qingcheng, Zhengyi, Kongtong, Kunlun and Laoshan, China News Service reported.

Aside from the public presentation of their respective martial arts, the masters also took part in a discussion about the moral principles of kung fu.

The prevailing belief was that kung fu should be used to help others.

According to legend, Chinese martial arts originated more than 4,000 years ago. One of the earliest mentions of Shaolin kung fu came during the seventh century, when it was used to defend the Shaolin Monastery.

Some 2,000 foreigners still visit the monastery every year with the intention to study Shaolin kung fu at its home.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I liked the pix...
    Costumes, fans, and brushes make me wonder what it was all about.