Thread: a sparring experience

neptunesfall Guest

a sparring experience

today a friend of mine returned from the army. after talking a little about hand to hand techniques he learned while in basic, we decided to wrestle. what happened for the most part was...we'd close, i'd try for a throw or take down and he would wrap his arms around me and we'd both fall. from there he would mostly try for a small package [ i think that is what the technique is called.] and i would slip out and we'd start over. or we'd close and he would get me in a sprawl position and ground me.
    a few of my throws were successful, but not enough to my liking.
    i am about 5'8" and [now] 138 lbs.
    my friend is about 6'20" and about 200 lbs.
    so. what does a small wrestler like me do to gain advantage over a much larger wrestler?

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    You got speed and hopefully conditioning...

neptunesfall Guest
    the conditioning i'm working on....

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Your friend is 6'20"? ****.

TatewakiKuno Guest
    kick em in the balls

kwokfist Guest
    o_O i think he means 6'2''

I feel light. I am 6'1' and only 165 lbs.

Archangel Guest
    Try a duckunder, or a quick double with a go behind ( Jim Miller ) finish. They usually work against the taller guys.

prana Guest
    hmmm tall ppl have troubles fighting at extreme close range. Also because they are tall, they are supposed to have less power at the extremes of their limbs. Of course provided that you are skillful enough and strong enough in the first place.

but then again hey, this is a point of view of someone who cannot, will not and is absolutely useless at fighting. ;) hehehe

friday Guest
    hi interesting stuff
    i m 6ft 2
    and 180lbs
    and can't wrestle