Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korean TJMHPM demo clip

Smile Korean TJMHPM demo clip

Just browsed the NPM commnuity on the web and found this file:

http://www.mantismartialart.com/demofight-2.WMV

I like this clip. Let's hear your thoughts.

BTW, the site has a few update including articles on different PM styles, also there is a clip on Guangban Tanglang. I would like to congratulate whoever that is managing the site. It really is a wonderful resource for the Mantis community.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Yep, I liked that clip. That is good Tanglang in my opinion. Particularly liked the rib kick followed up from outside. Everything there looked suitably vicious and sharp.

Great Clip

Mantis 108,

Thanks for letting us in on the site! A great clip. Reminds me of when I studied Tanglang there many years ago. The Koreans are fierce and passionate practitioners of the art!

Steve Cottrell
    Last edited by MantisifuFW; 10-19-2003 at 12:40 PM.

Ditto the above comments. Thank you M108 for this information, you take good care of us.

Are my eyes deceiving me? After the Go Lo Tsai, was he doing an upper cut to the body? Sorry, eyesight showing the age.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    not just your eyes, those dudes are fast.

are you talking about the first pass they make?

if so, then it does look like an uppercut to me.

thanks mantis108
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Mantis108

I hope you don't mind, but I borrowed and posted the clip on the taiji forum asking if anyone believed that taiji fighting (not push hands) was distinguisable from thise clips.

I've seen the result of Zhang Wei Fu, TMPM, from Qingdao, Shandong move as fast as that with double the age.

Sun De Yao also is like that.

Sometimes one doesn't appreciate the beauty of good mantis and its effectiveness until you stop practicing and see it in others.

Great clips.
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Smile Thank you all for the input!

I was very happy to have found this clip on the HK TJMHPM site. It is also wonderful to see that practitioners across the PM community enjoy it. Before I address my thoughts on the techniques involved, I would like to reply to some of the response and input by you.

Brendan,

I am very glad that you like it as well. The kick and follow up does look very impressive. I agree totally that everything looks sharp and vicious as good Tanglang should be.

Sifu Cottrell,

How lucky for you to have studied there. I hope to hear more of your experiences regarding that training phase. The Korean PM folks sure are remarkable.

Yu Shan and Oso,

You are most welcome, my friends. I believe it was an uppercut aiming at the solar plex after the double sealing hand . It would seem also that he was going for an arm drag as a follow up. It would seem the arm drag was somehow neutralized. He could have followed through with a Dengta takedown (or Panzhou elbow smash for that matter) if the arm drag was successful. If indeed both opponents were going for takedown we could see some very interest counters and reversals.

RAF,

I don't mind it at all. By all means share it with the greater Kung Fu community please. It would be interesting to hear about the comments. I will share my thoughts on the techniques in the following post. I hear you on the speed of the mantis players. It is most emphasised in my training experience with GM Chiu and my other PM mentors.

Warm regards

Robert (Mantis108)

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Smile Onto to technical discussion...

First and foremost, I think it is recognized that this clip has displayed some important mantis fighting characteristics.

1) Speed
    2) fighting range
    3) Use of combinations distinctive to Mantis

My understanding of Meihwalu (Plum Blossom Path) is rusty but I believe this clip has a few of the combinations from it especially the last rib kick with the follow up. IMHO, I believe that Meihwalu is about the 7 Longs of Mantis. Together with Bazhou (8 elbows) they would cover the 7 longs and 8 shorts of mantis nicely. It is interesting that some lineages prefer to teach Meihwalu in the place of Bengbu. Perhaps that's a reflection of the logic of it. It reminds me of the old adage, "Bengbu dao Bazhou, Shenxin ye nan tiu" (from Crash and Fill to Eight Elbows, even immortals are hard to escape). Surely if one can use the 7 longs and the 8 shorts at will, he would be a tough one to beat. Another technique of note is the "pheonix knobs its head 3 times" which is basically a one-two punch combo with back fist and door shutting kick. I think is in the middle of the clip. An interest thing is that this clip seems to have all the center attacks in the beginning and the inside outside gates attacks (revolving door) near the end.

I think RAF brought up an important question is that how does the "Taiji"-esque that seems to be emphasised by the TJMHPM line being applied in their fighting? What type of training mechanism in their style brings about this type of attribute? Could it be found in their Gong (Qigong) methods? I have heard that they have Sanhui Jiuzhuan Luohan Gong, that is composed of Sanhui Jiuzhuan Huanyang Fa (soft Qigong) and 18 Roads 69 postures Luohan Gong (hard Qigong). This would remain to be investigated.

Hopefully, we will have Tainan's input on this as well.

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Nice clips 108,

Reminds me very much of Sabunim Park when he was teaching in korea.

I don’t play this anymore and its been a very long while. One thing that I remember was that Sabunim Park really emphased a lot of what I would later learn though playing taiji was listing skills (tingjin).

One drill that we used to do was to walk a circle with our arms touching and begin all movements from there. Very much like a type of pushhands only with mantis grabbing and eventual throwing combined.

good memories

david
    enjoy life

Quick slightly off topic question: Are taiji pm, mei hua pm, and taiji mei hua pm all names for the same system, or three seperate branches?

Oufff. First of all these guys are definetely quick. Impressive how fast they come to a takedown.

@Brad
    Although my knowledge is quiet limited taiji mei hua and mei hua pm taiji pm are different branches of pm. taiji mei hua has very soft and flexible taiji like movements but it is played fast though.

@mantis108
    As far as I know taiji mhpm lines do not have qigong methods integrated in their system.

Regards

Smile

Hi David,

Long time no chat. I hope all is well with you. Thanks for sharing the interesting drill. I can see why you have fond memories of it.

Hi Brad,

I think I will open a different thread for it since the question really merits it own thread.

Hi Teih,

Thank for the input. I think I will address that in a different thread.

Warm regards

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Just, curious, could someone tell me who the tanglang teachers are in Korea? It's not often one hears of good kung fu taught in Korea, but perhaps I haven't been paying attention...
    ...don't think you are, know you are...

Korea and Vietnam, both excellent!

@ B.Tunks

Only TJMH respectively MH wise?
    I know that the german Mei Hua MAster Gerhart Milbrat studies with a Korean Master. I heard he is good but I do not know Milbrat him nor have I seen him.

Regards