Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The culture of OVERTRAINING in MARTIAL ART

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

The culture of OVERTRAINING in MARTIAL ART

So...

i noticed,
    its a common thing attitude on many/most martial arts classes -> the overtraining culture
    the idea that OH IM A MARTIAL ARTIST SO TOUGH then people train so hard, more than their body should do and then FOCK their systems.
    And the instructor pushing: U CAN DO MORE! DONT GIVE UP U WIMP!!!!
    What im saying is:
    Martial Arts have an overtrainig culture that says the training only is really good WHEN YOUR BODY HURTS
    BUT ITS NOT TRUE, your body shouldnt hurt for days after you trained - if it does it means YOU OVERTRAINED U STUPID KUNT - or your studpid instructor pushed you to do it. YOU ARE ONLY HURTING YOUR BODY AND YOUR PROGRESS
    This is something specially important for newbies

Thank you.
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Dang straight. Pain is not good. Soreness is okay. But it shouldn't last more than a day at the most and shouldn't hinder regular day-to-day activities or training.

Whassamatta Xebs? Get too many pushups for talking out of turn?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

no pain no gain? its bull****. your body hurts for a reason. Im usually sore the day after, and while I do push myself (I dont consider it a good training lesson unless Im sweating like a pig by then end) I never train with an injury or push myself over my boundaries.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Red face be careful on the ribs

well my dumbazz got kicked good in the side during sparring class, and it felt like a bruised rib the next few days... the following week got hit really hard in the same spot again. that time, though, i became too sore to even lift my leg up for any kicks. i then said fug it, no more sparring until it heals!

Ah, memories

My ribs just about healed. Hoping to get back into karate, weight lifting by the first of December. Then shall I rain righteous vengeance upon the young children's and children's class! How DARE THEY . . . do whatever it is I'll be revenging

Thumbs up vash

how long did it take for your ribs to heal? didn't u say in another thread u either broke them or injured them?

i'm going on three weeks now. i hope it heals soon b/c i have to be ready for non-stop sparring at the johnson city, TN tourny on nov.1

my backup plan is to wear some extra cushion on my side using some good tape. what do u think?

While it may not build better muscles to be in pain, but it builds character.

Well, I originally cracked them in March. Then, through repeated blows to it, and non-stop training, I finally had the rib cleanly broken and cracked in two places, plus I tore the cartilage around the head of the rib and the muscles around said rib.

Hoping to be 100% sometime in December.

My advice (which I should have followed): After they feel 100%, take two weeks of little stress. That means no sparring, limited weight training, slow and controlled ab/low-back work, things like that.

I think I'm being a bit gunshy, but better safe than sorry.

CTJ:

F#ck character. I'd sooner have the ability to drive my enemies before me and hear the lamentations of their wimmins.

In my thai class yesterday, I kicked my sparring-partner and he spiked my foot with his elbow. I can barely walk now.
    And I also caught a right hook in the head by a little fat philipino dude, giving me a light concussion.

so its possible to be sore and in pain without overtraining!

being able to take painfull shots is vital if your serious as a martial artist. It's not the same thing as overtraining
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Vash
    CTJ:

F#ck character. I'd sooner have the ability to drive my enemies before me and hear the lamentations of their wimmins.
    Vash isa man of vision
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

vision is good
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I would have to only sort of agree.

Overtraining is common from the physical exercise perspective. It is NOT common however, from the skill perspective. Chronic undertraining there.

Too sore/hurt/tired to get down and dirty? Light drills, etc.

But yeah--lots of people do the "More exercise is better thing...." then, they're out for a week!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

vash is a prophet.

not the Ashida Kim>Bruce Lee kind

xebs, why are you angry about this? I thought you said you don't train at all! So why should it bother you how others train?
    Why should it be anyones concern how someone else trains?
    If anything, it's more important to focus on your own training.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.