Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The culture of OVERTRAINING in MARTIAL ART

Originally posted by fa_jing
    I've heard that overtraining is overblown, the big no-no's are under resting and under eating.
    On a more serious note, this is SO true. The only time I notice any symptoms of over trianing is when I don't get enough sleep. I train really hard, almost every day, sometimes several times a day, and it's only when I miss out on sleep that I feel it (other than the usual aches and bruises, etc.)
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Actually, I'm training again, mostly forms and Qi Gong right now. Before it was all back therapy mostly.

I wouldn't call it resting too much though. It's, more like I was working on stuff not really martial related. I can actually kick over my head again. That was no easy feat to get back, all things considred.

If I had been training Kung Fu as hard as I trained my back, I'd be a frik'n animal right now.

That being said, I think it's pretty hard to "Over train" in Kung Fu. The body physically runs out of steam before you can realy hurt yourself. The problems I see, come from not taking enough recovery time (Day or two off here and there, sleep etc...) I've read that an athlete NEEDS a good hour, to hour and a half more sleep a night than normal people. A day or two off inbetween really hard days, or a series of hard days is essential for good development too. I nevre go more than 3 days straight, without taking 1-2 days rest before the next 3 day run.

As for food, an athlete (And lets face it, that's what we are), needs way more food than a non athlete. We need lots of carbs before training to fuel us, and lots of protien after to build and rebuild. That's good for two extra meals a day right there.

How many of us scedual pre and post meals practice into the training? We really all should be scarfing a bowl of rice before, and a big steak after we train, IN ADDITION to our regular 3 meals a day. I generally make a bigger dinner so it counts for two meals, rather than spliting it up due to time constraints, but it still works well. Diet is a MAJOR contributing factor to rapid and safe development, as well as injury prevention as fars as I'm concerned.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I probably need more sleep. 2AM to 7AM doesnt sound like enough. Doesnt feel like enough either.

I been kinda lazy lately, but Im starting a new program next week... kinda plan on being lazy the rest of the week. Next week start balls out for a couple months again tho... then take another week of laziness.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    Only water dragon gets to be my nemesis.
    Yay! I'll meet YOU on the Canadian border with a meteor hammer and a ninja suit buddy.
    Last edited by Water Dragon; 10-20-2003 at 07:21 AM.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

some wounds never heal
    be careful kids
    Have a cigar
    You gonna go far
    You gonna fly high
    You never gonna die
    You gonna make it if you try
    they gonna love you

If you get injured, fuggin' stop! Injuries suck a$$!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

My last instructor (we parted ways about 4 or 5 years ago) really encouraged over training. I never really noticed but I was sick or injured all of the time. Once I calmed down and started training in a more reasonable way my health improved and I suddendly realized how sick I had been. Mentally and physically.

The last time I over trained was about a year ago. Two hot shots from the west coast came to our dojo and wanted to kinda show who's boss, so I tried to burn them out. I was sick and sore for a week. They're pretty tough cats actually.

It's important, I think, to test your limits and train a bit past the point where you may like to stop. But you can only do this in short bursts, with rest and rehydration in between, and a limit on how many of these bursts you do. I usually get in 2 or 3 per class....like sprints between walking or jogging, instead of sprinting all night long. Some nights, if I'm the most senior student present, my workout is very light but my teaching experience becomes the focus.

Greetings all,

I have had this problem myself. There were two reasons why I overtrained:

1- The need to achieve something quickly: more like the need to achieve something YESTERDAY! I am learning that little by little is better nothing at all.

2- I was not strong enough to begin with. My conditioning level should have exceeded the requirements of the task at hand. When you are at that point, training is a fantastic experience.

mickey

With strong enough I mean:

1-cardio/respiratory

2-muscular

John Allen of the Green Dragon had a point when it came to strength. I wish he would write more stuff.

mickey

ttt
    there! on your ma sucka ass faces again!
    TO THE TOP

this thread is very good, though i seen some o you ruined it with your ignorance
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"