Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perceived facts vs the truth.

Perceived facts vs the truth.

Hi All.

A slight OT topic, maybe, depends on where you guys take it.

Just read an interesting article in todays paper by Harold Meyerson(source Washington Post) called "Watching Fox for fact-free Iraq news".

Sorry, only got a link to the study not the article, for those who are interested.
    PIPA

This article deals with a research done about the iraq war and misperceptions that USA people have of major news events and facts relating to the war.
    They than polled the people where they got their news from and from whihc TV-news they got them (FOX, CBS, etc.). Very interesting read and just a bit scary, as it show that viewers from station A have certain misconceptions whereas viewers of station B got others, and some are shared between stations.

Now this is a KF board and I think it is important for all of us to reflect on how valid are OUR perceptions to facts that are related to us.

May it be BIG news like the Iraq War, or facts about style XYZ or similar.
    If we got misperceptions about things/events that can possible affect millions and our own lifes, isn't there a possibility that we got many of so called MA facts similarly wrong.

It makes me think and question my knowledge.
    How about you?
    Last edited by T'ai Ji Monkey; 10-19-2003 at 05:52 PM.

Yeah, it makes me think and question your knowledge too.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Originally posted by Serpent
    Yeah, it makes me think and question your knowledge too.
    If you ain't got anything worthwhile to contribute, STFU.

Right back atcha.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Wow another left wing hand wringer bull **** knitting group, whoops, I mean a group of social science researchers whose purpose is to give the public a greater voice in the public policy process by seeking to discern public opinion on public policy and to communicate its findings to the policy community, academia and the press.

But to the question
    If we got misperceptions about things/events that can possible affect millions and our own lifes, isn't there a possibility that we got many of so called MA facts similarly wrong?
    Yes. Some won't care if what their instructors teach is BS because they either don't know any better or it fits into their fantasy, others will be lucky to find someone who teaches them in a truthful realistic manner and others will seek out and research what is true.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey

If you ain't got anything worthwhile to contribute, STFU.

I do hope that serpant will use this forum to share other views of CMA. It may not be his intention of turning this into a comedy outlet although I do not recall his or her input that benifitted anyone on here.
    I am trying to be respectfull on here, although many of you may recall when I lowered myself in which I deeply regret.
    Everyone has something to contribute. Serpant, please let yours be something other than like the day I was a fool.
    Last edited by Bluesman; 10-19-2003 at 07:40 PM.

The words "Fox News" are the basis of potentially the biggest false advertising case since my suit against the producers of "The Neverending Story."
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Rogue....you know what CNN stand for don't ya.

Fox News is the number 1 watched news network.
    Regards

Maybe it's just me, but I have this wierd idea that a news network should have reporters and investigators instead of just borderline-illiterate opinion mongers howling invective and verbally fellating Republican party leaders.

And Fox News is even worse!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Bluesman

I do hope that serpant will use this forum to share other views of CMA. It may not be his intention of turning this into a comedy outlet although I do not recall his or her input that benifitted anyone on here.
    I am trying to be respectfull on here, although many of you may recall when I lowered myself in which I deeply regret.
    Everyone has something to contribute. Serpant, please let yours be something other than like the day I was a fool.
    First of all, holy Bluesman, learn how to spell Serpent.

Secondly, who the hell are you to tell me what or what not to do. You might not recall anything I've said being of interest, but you study Shaolin-Do, so how would you know good advice if you heard it?

BTW, you're still a fool.

Originally posted by Serpent

First of all, holy Bluesman, learn how to spell Serpent.

Secondly, who the hell are you to tell me what or what not to do. You might not recall anything I've said being of interest, but you study Shaolin-Do, so how would you know good advice if you heard it?

BTW, you're still a fool.

Well, you got me! I can not argue with you as I am both a poor speller and a fool.
    The former post was meant to move the thread from one of flaming to one where we could learn from one another.
    If you wish, I will refrain from responding to your posts.
    Last edited by Bluesman; 10-19-2003 at 09:34 PM.

That's right. Now go away.

WOW. We got the two biggest idiots right here on one thread...

Chang Style Novice- It's more obvious everyday that you are indeed THE biggest idiotic moron that I have ever met. Even worse than your mom.

Serpent- Uhhhh, enough said...
    Have you ever tried any psychotherapy to clear up your issues? ~ cerebus

I had a fealing you'd be coming through here... ~ Northern Practitioner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Crazy Mad Drunk. You do indeed come across as mentally ill and chemically messed up. Congratulations on your well-chosen name. ~ Chang Style Novice

Did I mention that I was a national San Shou champoin? ~ Liokault

Yeah, Bluesman, you spell 'serpent" M O R O N
    Have you ever tried any psychotherapy to clear up your issues? ~ cerebus

I had a fealing you'd be coming through here... ~ Northern Practitioner

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Crazy Mad Drunk. You do indeed come across as mentally ill and chemically messed up. Congratulations on your well-chosen name. ~ Chang Style Novice

Did I mention that I was a national San Shou champoin? ~ Liokault

Originally posted by crazymaddrunk
    WOW. We got the two biggest idiots right here on one thread...

Chang Style Novice- It's more obvious everyday that you are indeed THE biggest idiotic moron that I have ever met. Even worse than your mom.

Serpent- Uhhhh, enough said...
    Been let out of your padded cage for your daily exercise then have you?