Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Enter the Dragon

We are almost getting there and I think I may have seen the same thing in Youtube and it was published in a martial arts magazine about this sequence from someone in Hong Kong that practiced a style unknown to me.

Thanks again.

Indeed I found a reference in the WULIN 2003 11pp10 but unfortunately the graphic is not clear to read. Maybe someone may have a copy. Thanks everybody.

Mig

Last weekend at Wondercon

We went up primarily to interview Saoirse Ronan and Joe Wright for our recent review HANNA: The Girl Who Kicked Ass. Much to my delight, I got a chance to meet two of the original stars of ETD, Jim Kelly and Bob Wall

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Bob still looks like Bob, but what happened to Jim ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

he'll be 66 in may....he cut his hair.....old jim kelly would have been perfect for live action afro samurai....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    he'll be 66 in may....he cut his hair.....old jim kelly would have been perfect for live action afro samurai....
    He looks real thin...last time I saw him was in undercover brother, I don't remember him looking so...frail...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

OH...your right that movie was funny as hell too....hmm...maybe he got sick, i sure hope it isnt the big C...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's just the shot

Actually, Kelly looked pretty good. He was skeptical of me because he thought at first that I was from some other magazine, one that published an article that was critical of him and he hasn't forgiven that. He was very engaging, once he realized I was from Kung Fu Tai Chi. Kelly probably looks thin in that shot because I look so fat.

Wall was friendly too, although his booth was right in between Elvira's, and she drew a huge line of fans, and Lee Meriweather's, who also had large following (both ladies are still fine lookers, btw). Wall was fawning to me over what a great person Bruce Lee was, and I called him on it, asking about that old controversy about the bottle breaking fight scene in ETD. Wall then gave me a blow-by-blow of what happened. In fact, that's exactly what he's describing in this photo:
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Wall was friendly too, although his booth was right in between Elvira's, and she drew a huge line of fans, and Lee Meriweather's, who also had large following (both ladies are still fine lookers, btw). Wall was fawning to me over what a great person Bruce Lee was, and I called him on it, asking about that old controversy about the bottle breaking fight scene in ETD. Wall then gave me a blow-by-blow of what happened. In fact, that's exactly what he's describing in this photo:
    I've never heard of this. Anywhere I can get the low down on this story?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mig View Post
    Maybe one of you can remember the form Bruce Lee performed in the movie Enter the dragon? It seems to be a form from a north style that was common in Hong Kong. I think I saw a thread in this forum but can not find it. Thanks a bunch.

Mig
    In the following clip, Bruce Lee did a 3 jumping kick combo at 0.26.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SxXBMt-YTQ (at 0.26)

That kicking combo is called 三不落地(San Bu Luo Di) or 五鳳齊飛(Wu Feng Qi Fei) in the 华拳(Hua Quan) 3rd Road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avn8dVzZ_b8 (at 0.18)

The reason it's called 三不落地(San Bu Luo Di) because you jump 3 times. In all 3 jumps one of your feet is always in the air.

- jump front kick,
    - jump back heel kick,
    - jump inside (or outside) crescent kick.

It's also called 五鳳齊飛(Wu Feng Qi Fei) because you make 5 slap sounds in this combo (Bruce Lee didn't do the slap sound).

- right fist hit left hand,
    - right hand hit the instep of right foot,
    - right hand hit the bottom of the left foot,
    - right hand hit left hand,
    - right (or left) hand hit the outside (or inside) edge of the right foot,

Bruce Lee ended this kicking combo with inside crescent kick. The outside crescent kick is more commonly used. Not sure about the combat value for this kicking combo but if you can still do this combo when you are 80 years old, you body should still be in good shape. IMO, it's a good "exercise for health" for your daily training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.

@JamesC

Just search "Bob Wall Bruce Lee" on the web and you'll find it. In a nutshell, there was an accident in the fight scene and rumors flew about who got hurt, how badly, and so on. Lee is such an icon that any fight mishap causes controversy. When I spoke to Wall last Friday, he said it was just an accident, that they had done 5 or 6 takes and on the last one, Lee cut himself on the broken bottle because he closed to quickly. Wall was very courteous about it all. Most would blame the media for blowing the controversy up out of proportion, which was the way of print publishing back then perhaps, but Wall sort of shrugged it all off to me. He was quite the gentleman during our little chat.

Bruce Lee vs. Bob Wall
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    the five sounds kicking is also a common drill used in Chinese Opera. Bruce Lee's dad was an opera star, so he probably learned it from him when he was younger.
    Many of the so-called "Bruce Lee-isms" were actually drawn from opera-the flashing eyes glare, the head snap is called Mein, or the face, which all opera players learn.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Other "Bruce Lee mannerisms" in the movies were heavily borrowed from Japanese samurai movies. You can see that he adapted stuff, for example, quickly striking opponents, and then he freezes before the opponents slowly fall down in a delayed reaction. He simply changed the Japanese cinematic sword fighting style to cinematic empty-hand/nunchaku/stick fighting.

BL was known to have been a fan of samurai movies early on; he even copied Zatoichi poses/expressions during a Shaw Brothers photo session. It's clear he got the basic idea for the Kung Fu series from the Zatoichi series.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.

I used to train that kick combination in my younger days. Ark Wong taught something similar to it in his 5 Animals Style.
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 04-09-2011 at 09:17 AM.

Bruce Lee Warner Bros Enter the Dragon petition