Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality martial arts

Reality martial arts

What reality martial art do you train?
    Michael Johnson

life.
    !
    ?
    Nothing gets more real than life. I live like a nike swoosh and just do it, man.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

I just watch The Matrix over and over again.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Karate.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

this can't be a serious question...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I learn to fight mainly from street fighter 2 and my gracie in action cd.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Those fire balls and dragon punches are the essence of street reality fighting.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Total street

I use disgarded pieces on concrete, and gravel from the streets. Any bits of broken pieces of glass are handy too!!!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Dear Mr. Void Boxing:

I train in the Dim Mak. That is as REAL as it gets!

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

Dear Mr. Void Boxing:

I train in the Dim Mak. That is as REAL as it gets!

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

You train in the dim mak?
    hmm... You do realize that Dim Mak isnt a style, no?
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

What are you really looking for

Hello Void,

In reviewing your posts on this thread and the JKD thread, I have to ask what you are really looking for. It would seem to me, that either you are a great fighter who has taken very few lumps or someone who hasn’t really experienced what its like to get hit/kicked by someone who is really good.

All the martial artist that I know who started out with the idea of “Get as much real time fighting in as possible” have walked away from that idea. If you look at ALL the great martial arts who are still ALIVE, you will see that they don’t have their students spar nearly as often as they did. The question to ask is why… answer: because it damages the body (can cause blood cots that lead to strokes, amoung other things) and we don’t live in a world where you live and die by your fighting abilities.

I don’t know about the other posters on this board who are from other countries, but here in the US, if I were to get mugged, the person most likely wouldn’t have a hand to hand weapon, they’d have a gun! No fighter has ever been great enough to beat a bullet (unless you want to count Wolverine or Cap America or Daredevil, but I just somehow don’t think they qualify for this discussion since it is supposed to be Reality based) .

So, tell me, if you live in the US when would you really use the MA in a “reality” situation? The only times I can think of are: on the street because someone angered you, at a bar or party because someone angered you, at work because someone angered you , etc. The common thread I see here is: someone’s angered you. Guess what, if you use your martial arts in a fight, whether you were in the right or not, you are the criminal and that is how the courts will treat you.

Additionally, if you are training in the true martial arts, you are learning skills and techniques that can maim or kill someone, is that what you are looking to do? If so, how do you practice those moves (and in fact the real moves of reality fighting) with a sparing partner, remember you asked about training for reality? The only way to do that is to follow thru with the action as you would in a real fight. That would kill or maim your sparring partner and won’t be long until you are out of partners.

In life, the way the “REAL” Martial Artist uses their MA training is, being able to catch your child or significant other as they are tripping, stopping a cup from spilling when its bumped, avoiding the car that didn’t see you when they decided they wanted your lane, staying healthy and strong, able to wipe your own a** and get out of bed without each day. The martial arts were always about health and meditation, about finding your center and striving for enlightenment. Yes there are people who have taken the MA and turned it into a combat centered ideology, but they have also missed the boat, and they ended up just as dead as those who used the MA to quest for happiness and enlightenment. How happy where they when they died…

So, to answer your question, every martial artist who lives life to the fullest in health, happiness, and spiritually centered life is practicing reality martial arts.

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    You train in the dim mak?
    hmm... You do realize that Dim Mak isnt a style, no?
    Dear Mr. Shaolin-Do:

You do realise that Shaolin-Do isn't an authentic art, yes?

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar

Originally posted by dimmakseminar

Dear Mr. Shaolin-Do:

You do realise that Shaolin-Do isn't an authentic art, yes?

Respectfully yours,

dimmakseminar
    Now kids, play nice or I will have to send you to your rooms.

Re: Re: What are you really looking for

Originally posted by Jow Ga Fist
    Albino_Mantis, **** that's deep. Void, Mike Tyson Punchout its as real as it gets

hope you remembered your hip waders