Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality

Reality

Tell me, how many of you are actually involved in real training - training purely for combat - not messing around with forms, routines, drills and the like, but actually dealing with combat and having your whole training revolve around this issue?

Im interested in discussing with people the role of a martial art and what is real in terms of training and preparing for the real situation.

Thank you.
    Michael Johnson

Well... my training lacks what would be considered "forms" in the CMA sense, but how does one "train" without drills and routines and "the like?"

You might try more specific questions with less abstract un-defnined terms. Specially on JKD forums, IMO.

strike!

Void Boxing, those things aren't mutually exclusive.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

To put it another way:

How many of you have transcended your drills and routines and discovered a place of creativity and understanding?
    How many of you still practice with set drills to refine your skills?

I have certain tools i use, but no set way to use them and that is how i train. So avoiding drills and allowing real combat scenarios, full contact sparring to show me the way, not the drills - your skills are naturally refined in the real situation - truth is spontaneous, not practiced or cultivated. Therefore train in the spontaneous relationship and you will learn and create your tools in different ways.
    Michael Johnson

eh

Well... no then, I havent transcended.

oh well.

strike!

Originally posted by Void Boxing
    To put it another way:

How many of you have transcended your drills and routines and discovered a place of creativity and understanding?
    How many of you still practice with set drills to refine your skills?

I have certain tools i use, but no set way to use them and that is how i train. So avoiding drills and allowing real combat scenarios, full contact sparring to show me the way, not the drills - your skills are naturally refined in the real situation - truth is spontaneous, not practiced or cultivated. Therefore train in the spontaneous relationship and you will learn and create your tools in different ways.
    No offense intended. But could you translate this into slightly more practical terms, minus the philosophical vagaries.

It's not that I have anything against philosophy. Quite the contrary. But I have no real idea what you mean when you say you've transcended drills, discovered a place of creativity and understanding, trained in a spontaneous relationship, etc.

So, without making reference to 'no mind' or 'being like water', how precisely did you do that? How, step by step, did you break a reliance on forms and drills?

I'm curious.

Thanks.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

It sounds like he's talking more about a fight club than anything else.

Even some of the martial arts that are considered to be more combat oriented, such as bjj, have "set drills", it's a very good tool IMO.

But hey, if your way works for you, then conrgatulations.

Not that Void Boxing has figured out what truth is maybe he can work on why do men have nipples?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Robert DeNiro has nipples, Rogue. Could you milk Robert DeNiro?

...and if so, who would drink the milk?

"Are you milkin' me? Are you grabbin' my nipples? I don't see anyone else."
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

LOL

LMFAO

MILK JUST SPRAYED OUT MY NOSE!!!!!

Sometimes a thead goes bad and you just don't know how it happened, this one you can see every twisted turn.

Robert DeNiro has nipples, Rogue. Could you milk Robert DeNiro?
    apoweyn, I don't think I want to know how that thought got into your head.

DM

i know where the thought came from. robert deniro played the father in meet the parents. Why do men have nipples??? that is the question isnt it i wish i knew all i do know is i would milk robert deniro if i got to milk the woman that played the mom first
    Sanity is only the dull,predictable, and repetitive actions of the average

-Tajiquan Ninja-

Originally posted by rogue
    apoweyn, I don't think I want to know how that thought got into your head.
    Tough rocks, 'cause I'm going to tell ya.

Like Taijiquan ninja said, DeNiro plays the father in Meet the Parents. And in a brilliantly awkward exchange, Ben Stiller explains that you can milk anything with nipples. DeNiro then says, "I have nipples Greg. Could you milk me?"

Oh we laughed.

Stuart B.