Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Meditation

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Clearly explaining anything to you cannot get past your ego-centric attachment, so I won't take the time to do so!
    THIS was all that I would have needed to do to shut you up?!? <smacks forehead into palm and drags down face>

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    THIS was all that I would have needed to do to shut you up?!? <smacks forehead into palm and drags down face>
    You should have tried the fish dance first!

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    ...more importantly, can anything said to be repeated at all? and if not, can anything truly be said to be "familiar"? why then, might we not see this? how is it that we miss the perpetual newness of each day? why does the mind categorize and label to the exclusion of this?

and then, how is it that the former may transform into the latter? how do we become more sensitive to the freshness of each moment??

Beautifully stated.

I'm curious to know If you have read the works of Alfred Korzybski, founder of General Semantics and the (first?) working definition of sanity? He was heavily criticized by philosophers such as Max Black for trying to create a practical training method, based on scientific evidence, for learning good mental habits which helped to avoid pitfalls such as the "isness" of identity. Critics argued that the "mind/nervous system" operates by generalization and cannot function on the level of awareness of a greater reality and that his scientific jargon obscured the fact that what he was teaching was more an attitude than a science. Korzybski, himself, confided to a friend that his system could really be seen as structural metaphysics, but to keep it from being dismissed as mere cultism he brought it to to the attention of the the more educated among us so that the ideas would be preserved until society was ready to implement them. As a system of evaluation, I consider it to be the western equivalent of buddhist thought. There is no "I," no identity, no perceivable reality behind common labels; they are just words which can only convey very general responses along with associatons and emotional baggage.

With this as background I would offer that we miss the "perpetual newness" by falling back on mental habits which allow us to ignore most of the information avaiable to us by our already filtered nervous responses. "Oh, yeah, it's just a sunset." Those habits help us to focus on a very limited aspect of reality so that we can concentrate on how best to trap that mastodon, but fail us when we need to get off of autopilot and learn to live with each other.

Everything is always a new event.

jd
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Volcano Admim View Post
    you guys, i get into meditative state when masturbating
    dead serious
    I know the thread is dead. It went from meditation to self and something else. None of it making any sense. Interesting though. I took time to read this and this post I am sure was meant to be silly and get a laugh, but in fact, it is the only post that actually lends itself to the facts.
    In his meditative state you can just imagine what he is thinking. He is committing the act in his mind. This is what meditation is actually. It is defined as thinking or intending. When we think something out, doing it over in the mind until we get it right, it is called premeditated. We premeditate an act when we meditate. We can clear the mind to be able to focus, and in order to prioritize our thoughts. But that is not meditation. We do not really trip off into another realm, we just sit or stand and think of doing something. We can do a form in our mind, over and over again. Then we can get up and do the form physically. I have done this a time or two. I can not swear that it helps me with my precision or skill, but it feels like it does. This is the simple and easy definition of meditation. Simply using the imagination to it's greatest ability.

LCP

I was once a Buddhist monk, and this is just too much for me to wrap my head around. My head hurts reading all this stuff

Or, it could have something to do with the Organic Chemistry I just stopped working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I was once a Buddhist monk, and this is just too much for me to wrap my head around. My head hurts reading all this stuff

Or, it could have something to do with the Organic Chemistry I just stopped working on.
    Does it need to make any sense?

I would guess it is the Organic Chemistry. Organic Chemistry is supposed to make sense, conversations aren't, necessarily. It is all a matter of context.

If we don't try to wrap our head around it from the start no dilemma arises!

Being a Buddhist monk or Organic Chemist doesn't necessarily prepare one for seemingly pointless conversations.

Being a Buddhist monk or Organic Chemist doesn't necessarily prepare one for seemingly pointless conversations.
    I think you should approach your local university and offer to teach a seminar on doing just that - I know I would be in line to sign up!

a pointless class about pointless conversations???? People have paid large sums of money for more foolish endeavors. Forget the Universities, I am going or international seminars!!!

a pointless class about pointless conversations???? People have paid large sums of money for more foolish endeavors. Forget the Universities, I am going or international seminars!!!
    go viral on the web man!

There's no MONEY in that, just 15 minutes, or less, of fame!

I'll take MONEY over fame any day!

I was about to make an In Soviet Rawsha joke but that was too cool

Yeah, it was nice. Action-packed, but with a nice moral.

Meditation studios trending?

I hope so because this would be a good trend.

Say aaaaah! Meditation studios are the newest trend in wellness

Thick cushions are evenly spaced along the Den's wood floor, top, and a raised dais at the front is for the teacher during sessions. (Jameca Lyttle / The Den)

This is how busy and harried we are at work, home and all places in between: A new boutique studio in Los Angeles offers busy Angelenos a place to do nothing but … meditate.

Like so many entrepreneurs, Tal Rabinowitz was emboldened by the fact that she couldn't find what she needed — and went ahead and made it herself. The result is the Den, a meditation-only studio that Rabinowitz designed to be secular, accessible to the masses and not linked to a particular movement, guru or lifestyle.

"There is no lingo here," she said. "Meditation should be for everyone."

Rabinowitz has long been a proponent of meditating, finding it enormously helpful in the high-stress job she formerly held as an executive vice president at NBC. (The official opening party brought in a stream of her celebrity friends from her TV days, including Kate Walsh, Amanda Seyfried and Anna Kendrick.) In September of last year, she took over the space once occupied by the venerable textile store, the Silk Trading Company, on the corner of La Brea Avenue and 4th Street in Los Angeles.

The Den, a new boutique studio on La Brea, offers classes in meditation. (Jameca Lyttle / The Den)

With all the distractions at work and home, said Rabinowitz, sometimes you have to be in a space where the only thing you can do is meditate. (It joins another drop-in meditation studio, Unplug in Santa Monica.)

Now the 2,500-square-foot studio — filled with comfy couches and bookshelves and where the walls are painted soothing shades of teal blue next to exposed brick — holds three rooms. The main meditation room is where classes take place, run by a rotating roster of 22 teachers. Sessions range from 20 to 45 minutes.

A smaller room is for people who want to drop in and meditate on their own.

In the last space, healers in disciplines such as reiki, cranialsacral therapy and massage will offer their services.

The rooms are, predictably, cozy and welcoming: thick cushions are evenly spaced along a wood floor, a raised dais at the front is for the teacher. Dim overhead lighting comes from brass lanterns swinging from the ceiling. Some classes offer music, others are conducted in silence with only the teacher's voice as guidance.

There are several classes a day, each with a different intention: focus, healing, breathe and, the last classes of the night, including sweet dreams. Meditation incorporating qi gong and fostering creativity, as well as those for pregnant woman, are also offered.

"We try and cover the bases," Rabinowitz said. "Some classes are mantra-based, others target focus and mindfulness. We encourage people to keep meditating at home, but there's also something wonderful about being in a group setting like this."

Besides meditation rooms, there are also comfy couches and bookshelves in the new 2,500-square-foot meditation studio, The Den, on La Brea. (Jameca Lyttle / The Den)

Classes are $22 each. A five-class package is available for $100, and a monthly unlimited membership is $160. Workshops are also offered, and those who want to drop in and meditate outside of a class pay $5.

Our favorite three classes:

A.M. energizer

The first class of the day, at 8.45 a.m., is directed toward the pre-work crowd: This 30-minute session is designed to increase mental acuity and sharpen clarity for the day ahead. "People set their intentions for how they want their day to be," Rabinowitz said.

Lunchtime detox

The 1:15 p.m. class offers a 30-minute session midday: "It's a quick relaxation to bring you down, clear your head, and get you ready for the rest of the day," she said.

Candlelight relax

This is just as it sounds: 45 minutes of flickering candles and deep breathing to help meditators decompress at the end of the day, clearing any negative vibes that have accumulated at the office or elsewhere.

The Den is located at 360 S. La Brea Ave. in Los Angeles. www.denmeditation.com
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

remember, mindfulness isn't enough... people need kindfulness

This 1987 TV documentary with Bill Moyers and Jon Kabat-Zinn, Healing from Within, was very influential I believe. Still quite powerful to watch.

Last edited by rett2; 04-08-2016 at 07:57 AM.