Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Purest Lineage

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    First, let me make it clear that you asked, and that I never said there was anything "special" about what I do. I just said that I keep it simple and do not react.

This is the part of the internet that I hate. I tried to answer honestly and politely, but I get a bunch of in return.
    Dang straight! No for you!

I wonder how many of you would do that in person, in a school, where I could hand you a pair of boxing gloves and show you? Or would you be more of the, "oh, maybe" type. "O, let me see."
    I don't like boxing gloves. And, since you've had 15 more years experience than I've had TOTAL, I'm guessing I'd still get my @$$ handed to me. But, I'd learn. You'd teach. Party on.

No, here on the internet everyone already knows. Everyone is a fierce warrior.
    Let me say this, I'm 29 and have been training since I was 4. I have long walked away from some of the styles you guys are now training. I know their strenghts and their weaknesses. I know their tendencies. More important I know mine, and what I need to improve on.
    Why did you walk away from your previous styles?

I strongly welcome you to come visit me if in NYC area. If you can't, but have a MA friend that you respect his opinions, please have him look me up if here. I'm sure I can show you a thing or two you have not seen before in a manner containing no anger or bad feelings. But when I know the sky is blue and a bevel of Shaw Brother fans swear it is kung fu gold what can you do?

I accept your challenge! And, I've always wanted to go to the big city . . .
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

lineage and transmissions

This thread brings up some interesting topic. Here is my POV

I find it hard to find a style that has remained unchanged for more then 100 years. Even Bagua changed drastically after 2nd generation. I also think this isn't a bad thing. Lineage serves, then, not as a measure of greatness but as a bar of excellence. Meaning, if I come from a "new" lineage, then I only have to live up to myself. If I come from a history of champions, if I'm not GREATER then the historical champions, can I claim I am promoting the lineage? Sure I am part of the lineage but not a promoter.

For evolutionfist, I believe I understand where you are come from and agree that what you describe is "poison" I'm glad that you have found a good teacher. I think you agree to that your journey has made your current teacher more valuable and appreciated.

So this is not for you but for others looking at the great art of Hung Gar, I submit it isn't poison. Everything you have stated in this thread is part of Hung Gar. True it starts as what appears to be a technique based systems but that's really a US adaptation since everyone wants applications. Also, you need to have the basic building blocks to apply the concepts. That's why most "internal" styles can't fight their way out of a bag.

The 12 bridges, 5 animals and 5 elements all expound the concepts covered. Read the ancient texts. So like Northern Practioner said, just because a bunch of people don't teach the higher level concepts doesn't mean the style doesn't have it.

Gotta agree with Hasayfu on his pov. mine is relatively the same.
    would also add in regards to the Hung fist, that it has definitely refined my skill in martial arts and brought new dimension to my approach to others in potentially confrontational situations.

Now, I don't practice Hung Gar proper (as I call teh Hung hei gwoon or more precisely the Lam sai wing lineages), but what I was taught of Southern Shaolin Black Tiger is heavily flavoured with the same Shaolin principles and techniques as are found in the aforementions "Hung Gar proper" style.

I've always known how to take the fight to someone, but with these principles and techniques, i consider that I have really rounded out that knowledge and my personal attitude towards those also aforementioned potentially confrontational situations.

There is a lot to be said for old methods. They do indeed work.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    Lineage isnt important... A competent instructor is. (and appropriate and worthwhile material)
    i guess that's why you still do SD

just to add to the list, i'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned 7 star praying mantis. it has one of the most documented lineages that i've seen in my opinion. check out the family tree. most 7 star guys around the world can trace themselves to a teacher on this tree. of course there are a few gaps after wang lang...oh well.

http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/frame.htm

click on 7 star on the left.

Dan Inosanto's Jeet Kune Do!!!!!!!!!!!.

Good post HSF and others.

To add another point...find the art that suits you best, for in that way it will work for you best. To become good at your chosen art, master technique. To Master your chosen art, transcend technique.

GHD
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

This is where lineage REALLY matters

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

For Evolution Fist

E.F you may not know me, but I'm a friend of the school you attend and just a little concerned with the damages your posts may have on Master Chan's reputation, especially since he's always been a kind and friendly man in a field of con-artists, quacks and downright ego-maniacs

First, please speak for yourself, dont involve others who may of told you things in confidence or may of expressed their opinions to you only. I doubt if they wanted you to be their spokesman on the web or if they wanted their opinions inacurrately published.

Second, Please publish your own address and not someone else's webpage where they can find a school address to bring forth their displeasures with you and ultimately cause trouble for people who have nothing to do with what you post.

Third, If you truly had found kung fu gold, then you would spend all your time polishing it up and not foolishly giving others directions to it.

Fourth. please learn Cantonese (Toisan dialect) or Mandarin to best learn the opinions and beliefs of your master, as english is a second language to him and although his is good , he still can express himself in much clearer detail speaking his native tounge.

Fifth, be kind to your fellow martial artist and dont burn bridges behind you, you may want to change directions again.

Mr.C
    Train, Train, Train