Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparring question...

Sparring question...

Hello... I have a question about sparring...

I'm very new to kung fu. A month and a half so far. Sifu always pairs the new students up with experienced students, they have more control and are able to teach me stuff other than just pummel me into the wall.

Rules for our sparring matches are no face, no groin, and light contact. We wear sparring gloves and mouth guard thingies.

Lately I've been sparring people other than high belts, they aren't available all the time, and I don't want to spar with someone holding back all the time. A couple people in the class have a tactic in which they constantly attack. As a result they don't defend too much, but it's very hard to counter, cause I'm constantly trying to block every attack.

What can I do to defeat someone who is constantly attacking?

They seem to have unlimited stamina for throwing punches, and I am already winded from blocking so much. A few people have told me I should try to grab an arm and throw some punches in, but advice is badly needed

I'm a pretty big guy, 6' 232 lbs. I was very out of shape before kung fu but am noticing a difference after a month and a half. I need more stamina to fight longer, I know it will come, but some advice in improving that would we very welcome too...
    -Sakko

you're a big dude..... grab 'em and throw them down......
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Side step! Dont get in the habit of standing there and blocking! That is the worst thing you could do in that situation.

The other thing you should work on is just being more aggressive. You are a big guy, and for the most part, if it comes down to trading shots you should be able to dish it out pretty good. Plunk them a couple of good times and they will slow down!

Ben

ps. read my sig....

attack them back. you may get hit, but on the same token, you may also hit them. Keep your head moving, and your guard up and attack back.

use your footwork. you can't constantly just retreat - they can adavnce faster than you can retreat. step off the line (sidestep) and attack.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

hmmm..
    You should try be the more offencive one and not only resort to defence. Every attack has a counter attack, you need to think while sparring not just flail away. Try analyzing the way your friends move, how does he throw that kick, how does he advance etc. Look to see if he drops his guard when punching etc..

Sparring will become more fun and easier the more you do it.
    good luck
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Good advice... how can I improve my offensive capabilities though? I find myself planning a punch and executing it then thinking "Ok, now what?" Does speed and knowing what to do next come naturally?

Do I need to learn combinations or something? I know I don't know what to do now, but I know I plan to eventually, and I need to know the steps I need to take to get there..
    -Sakko

use your size - crowd them - make them have to sidestep or retreat. Once you are in on them, throw them.

Like Kristoffer pointed out, sparring will get easier over time. When you first start, you may have a tendency to get tunnel vision, and can see nothing more than strikes coming at you. eventually, you will notice holes in their defense, become more aware of your own footwork, etc. just keep it up and you'll get there.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by sakko
    Good advice... how can I improve my offensive capabilities though? I find myself planning a punch and executing it then thinking "Ok, now what?" Does speed and knowing what to do next come naturally?

Do I need to learn combinations or something? I know I don't know what to do now, but I know I plan to eventually, and I need to know the steps I need to take to get there..
    don't plan...just be aware. notice the timing of his strikes, notice when he drops his guard, notice which side he's weakest on... you adjust your attacks based on the info you take in while you're fighting him.

Definitely work combinations. over time, you'll learn to spontaneously alter them

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Move Move Move

Sakko - As ND said, side-step. Suntzu is right about using your size to your advantage as well. Check with your sifu and make sure grappling is allowed. With the availability of proper protection, and the eventuality of it happening in the street, I am surprised groin strikes are prohibited. Eye, throat, and knee strikes are the only things not allowed in our sparring. This is done purely for safety reasons. IMHO to further limit what is allowed in sparring is to limit the knowledge gained by sparring. I sparred a guy three times my size Mon. night. I got creamed, but it was good experience. He was polite and did not grab me and throw me across the room, but he definitely kept me living in the real world so to speak.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Um yeah, let me reiterate something, side-step. If these people are flailing away, don't be too scared of stepping in either. Use your attributes for you, because a smart opponent will use them against you. You're a bid dude, use that.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Again, you're a big guy. Try crowding them. Nothing fancy. Put your hands up to protect your face and then put your shoulder (force optional) right into their sternum. That should get 'em on the defensive a bit. Or at least bugger up their attack.

My advice for the "now what?" problem: Don't plan on a punch. Plan on backing the guy into the corner or knocking him down. The mental focus required will be the same. But when he's on his arse or pinned in the corner, you'll feel a whole lot better about the "now what?"

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Lateral movement.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Side-step with an outside block. This will either set you up with a great kidny shot or give you exit to get the heck out or his/her strike range. As you get better, you will be able to turn the outside block into an arm bar... Then you will own them.

Also, lose the mentality that you

Block

then

Attack

or

Block

then

Counter

Make your blocks offensive. When he attacks, strike in with a block and attack him with it and drive through. Strike his weapons (arms and legs) as you move in.

Oh yeah, in case you haven't got it yet, use your size and sidestep.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

okay your size doesnt matter except for intimidation. im 6'2" 145 lbs. all height does for you is intimidation in my opinion that and long limbs for reach wich you should also consider as a way to stay outside of their attacks. im not sure how fast you are but me im slow so im working on training to increase my speed both for blocking and attacking. the catching an arm idea is a good one. if you have a strong upperbody and arent afraid to do so you could grab their arm and flip them over your back. if this isnt to your taste then when they hit high you block and try to hit low before they get their next attack out if that works then mix it up and if they block low hit high a chain of well practiced moves in a sequence of six (ex. high,low,low,high,low,high) should throw most opponets off and make it easier for you.
    Sanity is only the dull,predictable, and repetitive actions of the average

-Tajiquan Ninja-