Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got short power?

Got short power?

Curious as to how many styles here train it as part of a core requirement.

E-Chuan focuses on power from contact, being able to generate a strike if the palm is already resting on the target. We have a few ways of training this. At first it's finding the mechanics to do it utilizing a domino affect from the upper back/shoulder down the elbow and finally into the palm. Later the whole body, and some internal dynamics with the rib cage area go into it.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    yep

we start with bigger motions/circles
    swinging arm exercises utilizing waist movement to propel the arms
    this is refined into actual striking movements and the movement gets smaller and smaller over time.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Yup. It's a 'trademark' of our school.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Yup. It's a 'trademark' of our school.
    Yeah, but you're hitting with the ground...lol

taiji seems to have a lot of this, but so far I've only used it to really open up some space.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Thumbs up

Big to small ... as in most things MA.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Yeah, but you're hitting with the ground...lol

taiji seems to have a lot of this, but so far I've only used it to really open up some space.
    Well yeah, but I gotta GET the throw first don't I
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

True...

In longfist also, our twist and strike, when in close, feals a lot like what you describe.... not quite the same, but still using the whole body, especially your core strength.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Oh, some. I have the idea that this stuff works better, generally, for people with short limbs, and I'm a lanky SOB.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    CSN, your short range/power strike is just longer than a shorter persons short range/power strike. Doesn't mean it isn't a short range/power strike or effective as such.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

short and long power are not about range

they are direct references to force applied over "time"

short power > power lasting for a short time

long power > power lasting for a long time

ranges, distances et al are a different thing.
    1 step close , 1.5 step medium, 2 steps long 3 steps out of range time to close gap, make bridge and cross.

pretty simple stuff really.

root is key, stance is key to grounding. Physics dictates a lot of the principles of power generation and force.

actually a lot more simple when looked at with realism.
    No mystical whodo voodoo about using force at all.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Another way to understand its use is like this:

This of the arc your elbow travels when throwing an uppercut. The longer your elbow travels along that imaginary circle the more momentum it generates and power.

Try to shorten its path to were the elbow only has to mobe from the 6:00 o'clock position to the 7:00 o'clock position and get the momentum and weight from somewhere else.

I can rest my palm on an object and move the elbow from 6:00 to 6:30 without raising the palm from the object and still deliever a blow that will hurt. Good for the chin, neck, soft ribs, even the biceps when crossing arms and the chance to go all the way in hasn't presented itself. Good for ground figthing as well.

Sigh... Still laying the foundation.

Thanks for the description E-Fist. Any more details on how you train it? The stuff we're doing seems to be more rooted in the lower back and mid spine, but I'm still a relative newbie (2ys).

-crumble

The longer your elbow travels along that imaginary circle the more momentum it generates and power.
    This is completely unlike any uppercut I've ever heard of.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

force is force, no matter how you want to present it.

MxA=F (mass times acceleration equals force)

speed applied to mass creates force.

You can increase mass, you can increase speed. generally, you can't make your hands much bigger than they are, but you can use proper alignment and practice to increase the speed they travel and the force that is issued.

Strength development will allow you to issue long power that will in turn have more compression force applied to the object it is pushing.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Uppercut?

This is completely similar to the uppercut we use however. To each their own..I think that uppercut you know maybe different than the one we do MP because of possible differences in the way footwork is used between western boxing and some CMA. Possible?
    -Golden Arms-