Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More 'real' king fu (vid)

More 'real' kung fu (vid)

2003 Kuoshu clip..... i dont know who they are tho....
    http://www.risingdragonmartialart.co...3sifusteve.mov
    Last edited by Suntzu; 10-24-2003 at 07:21 AM.
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

King fu eh?
    You will fear and respect my king fu.
    Hmmm... Well... To say the least, it looked like they were walking like gumby cause of the choppy crappiness of the video. Other than that I cant really comment on it.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

That's not kung fu! That's real fighting! BTW, it looked like they'd do good to learn some Judo or Greco. That guy in the yellow (Did that say USCK - US Combat Karate?) had some good oppurtunities.

i agree.... most of the fighters that won this year had good throw training on their side.... even tho the point system isn't on their side the damage they cause more than makes up for it......... or maybe blue had good counters... i don't know.... but i saw some elbows snuck in during the clinch tho........ United States Chinese Kuoshu something or other.... i cant get with the sweat pants tho.....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Yeah, I saw some of those elbows too. I didn't know if that was against the rules or not. I agree that blue may of had good counters. It just appeared that they didn't have a good handle on throws, but you never can tell in the heat of action. Any throws or takedowns against the rules?

elbows are all good.... and i THINK u only get points if u remain standing.... illegal throws i'm not sure about...

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Blue= Pai lum tao
    Yellow = wing chun (I think)

The guy in blue won first place last year and second this year in superheavyweight...he is Glen Wilson's student...elbows are legal and give you points unless you hold their head with one hand and elbow with the other, it definitely doesn't give you points. I think the guy in yellow won first place a few years ago too....

I couldn't see much because of the distance and quality of the video. I thought it looked pretty good but once I saw a punch that was a swat straight down, which always makes me puke. I can't remember which guy threw it.

And Sun Tzu, they changed the rule last year, throws are scored just like in san shou where you get more points if you remain standing but you still get points if you land on top.
    Last edited by Musicalkatachmp; 10-24-2003 at 09:53 AM.
    Veni Vidi Vici

Watching it again I hear the announcer said "Both fighters down, no points." I'm pretty sure this was just out of habit, because you definitely get points for landing on top.
    Veni Vidi Vici

It took a while to download for me (dial up) but I HAVE to ask... you think this is GOOD fighting? Espceically because the file is called "sifu steve" is this someone who claims to be high level?

I would suggest that if this is "good" kung fu fighting, then I can safely rest my case as to how "effective" the training methods are
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

i have to agree with lkfmdc on this one...

The Kuoshu guys did pretty well at our Kung-fu championships tournaments last year. FWIW, I think I could hang with those guys in the clip, so could a few more of the local KF participants here I've seen, and there were 3 guys that competed in the last tournament in particular (one was Sevenstar's sifu's brother from out of town) that I think could have taken these guys fairly easily (and me as well, for that matter). Shadow, I know you're reading, get those clips done man.

Clinch work always looks wierd to me with no knees. Good show though.

The video isnt showing up on my comp very well...I wouldn't know what I was looking at anyway, I suck at critiquing fights...I did see a big elbow thrown when the camera zooms in, couldn't tell if it landed flush or not...

Espceically because the file is called "sifu steve" is this someone who claims to be high level?
    The blind leading the blind eh? I fought two guys from the same organization at this same tournament...I thought they were pretty good...but they were from different schools within the org.
    Veni Vidi Vici

'good'..... 'bad'... whatever.... they got up there... that gets my respect.... could i hose 'em?..... let me win Born to Fight first.... than i'll get back to ya....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Do they get my respect for stepping up?

Oh my yes.

Did they suck? Badly?

Oh my yes.

Looked like a schoolyard fight.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli