Thread: Hong Kong Freestyle Fighting Tournament in the 1970's?

Hong Kong Freestyle Fighting Tournament in the 1970's?

For a supposedly famous tournament, I'm having a hard time finding information about this throw down. Can anyone help me out? I'm really curious to know the circumstances surrounding this event.

From what I know, the kung fu fighters issued the challenge, people came from everywhere (including some of Mas Oyama's boys and The Black Dragon himself, Ron Van Clief) and the Thais killed everyone. But that's about it - I'm really short on detail as to how it all went down.

Hoping some of the more historically minded members might help me out.

Thanks

jim

Anybody.........??

Hey Jimbob. The only thing I know about that particular tourney is that Van Clief was knocked out by a Yugoslavian competitor. I HAVE, however, seen videos of some 1970s era TAIWAN full contact tourneys. I too would like to see some footage of that Hong Kong tourney. Maybe you could find Ron Van Clief's website & ask him about it. I've seen photos of him waiting to step onto the floor for some of his matches (& he is in SHAPE, that Yugoslavian must've been one BAD dude) but none of him actually fighting (I would imagine he probably has some still photos, if not actual video). Sorry I can't be more helpful . Good luck (oh, and PM me if you get any more info about it, I'd love to hear what you find out ). Later. T.

Didn't Wai Lun Choi win one of those Southeast Asian full-contact tournies?
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Usually (to the best of my knowledge) the "Southeast Asian" tourneys were held in Malaysia (at least a few were in Kuala Lumpur). The Hong Kong tourneys seem to have had a fair number of kickboxers from what I've heard, and the Taiwan tourneys I've seen were all Kuoshu events. I don't know if Wai Lun Choi ever competed in any of these, but it wouldn't surprise me. I've heard alot of great things about him and I've seen a clip of him demonstrating Hsing-I, wouldn't wanna get hit by him . T.

Angry

vids people, post the vids
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I have seen some video of one of the "Southeast Asian" tourneys.

I think you can still buy a copy, but probably not worth it from the film quality I saw.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Thanks guys

Cerebus, I competed in a similar sounding tourney in KL myself (and in Singapore and the Philippines) back in my younger stupid days, that's why I'm keen to find out more about the Hong Kong one. I'll check out Ron Van Clief's site and keep asking. Will let you know if I turn anything up.

Cheers