Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had a fight last night...really!!

Had a fight last night...really!!

Actually, I had 5....but they were legal. I entered a Judo shiai in a nearby city. I won 1st in my division (220 + ) and didn't place in the open division. Here's what happened:

first match- Sev. vs some black belt who weighed in at a little over 300...I am only 235 right now... he likes throws such as makikomi where the opponent's arms are straightened out - I fight with mine bent, which killed much of his arsenal. He was a big guy though, and hard to throw. I attempted a makimoni that failed, and a failed hiza guruma. I ended up getting a waza-ari from a double leg and that won me the match.

second match. Sev vs. a 275lb white belt. He actually had some strong attacks. I maneuvered around his sweep attempts, and attempted a makikomi which he picked was able to fully take my back and pick me up on. He dropped me forward, and we went to matwork. I was thinking he would either use tani otoshi or ura nage, both which would have gave him a score, as opposed to dumping forward, but I guess that was lack of experience on his part. I used my bread and butter - hiza guruma, which got me a yuko and I followed him to the mat, where I won via osaekomi.

Final match was against the same whitebelt. This time, however, it was quick. played with grips for a little bit, hiza guruma took him to the ground. We were stood back up, and as we approached, I feinted high, changed levels and shot for a double leg. Sev by ippon. My friend (who beat me in the open division) said that I got him up so high it looked like I was posing for the camera before I dumped him.

In the open division, first match was against a brown belt who had also wrestled all through high school. I applied forward pressure, attacked with ko soto gari, which he stepped out of and caught me with ko uchi makikomi. I fault my self though, because I forgot about his throw - soon as I saw his back, I took it and went for a choke, but we fell with my back to the mat and he was awarded ippon.

second match in open was against a friend of mine from bjj. He competes internationally in judo and in sambo (matter of fact, in 2 months he's going to russia for a big sambo tourney) - I had no chance from the beginning. He's only about 180, but he's built like me and has an unstoppable drop knee seionage.

Our match lasted about 3 mins, and afterwards, he commented on how strong I'd gotten. I was attacking with my hiza and also makikomi - I tried makikomi so much because it is something new that I am working on... obviously, as it didn't work at all yesterday. he caught me with two of his drop knees that resulted in yukos and gorund work, where we were stood back up. I shot for a double leg, which he sprawled out of, and later for a kata guruma. In the end, he threw me for ippon with his drop knee. He ended up winning 1st in both his division and in open.

Afterwards, there was a two hour clinic that focused on grip fighting, vatriations of ko uchi gari (because of this clinic, I REALLY like that technique now and will likely use it more) and a few ground techniques. It was a great clinic, the grip fighting led into ko uchi gari, and the ground portion was things to do if your opponent turns out of the ko uchi before his back hits the mat.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 10-26-2003 at 08:20 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Congrat Seven. Good to see training is paying off for you. Shouldn't u get a brown or black belt in Judo now that u beat a black belt in competion?

Anyways congrats on what sounds like a good experience in mat time competition.

Brad Souders
    Tapped Out

I've only slept a total of 6 hours since friday... for some reason, I couldn't really sleep friday night, and last night, I guess the adrenaline high still had me going - I'm probably going to crash in a fw hours... I'll bein church snoring away!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thumbs up

strike!

Thumbs up

Good job.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

it aint nuddin compared to sparring 8 people at one time...

as i had to in my last MT sparring session.......

Congrats on the glory of your wins and the lessons of your losses.

I would be a lot more impressed if I had a clue what you were talking about Seven! Congrats on the results - they were obvious. Any chance of a quick translation of all the judo-speak though?

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Much Props

Congratulations Seven Star. I have to agree with Serpent though. Can we get some subtitles on the Judo terminology? Thanks again for the help with my balance. You obviously know what you're doing. Do you have any video of your matches you could post?
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

Ah, Ko Uchi Gari...an old favorite. So Seven, what did they cover in the clinic?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    congrats Seven.

There's a judo tourney Nov 8 at UT in Knoxville. Probably too far for you t0o drive, huh?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Thumbs up

way yo go 7*, Represent.

A winner is you!
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Congraturations!
    You have win now!
    Good you then finished!
    Thank you.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Originally posted by Serpent
    I would be a lot more impressed if I had a clue what you were talking about Seven! Congrats on the results - they were obvious. Any chance of a quick translation of all the judo-speak though?

my bad...

makikomi is a wrap around throw. There are several versions of it: major inner, major outer, minor inner...

ko uchi makikomi - minor inner wrap around: http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/kihonwaza/ko uchi maki komi.mpg

o soto makimomi - major outer wrap around:

hiza guruma - knee wheel: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...hizaguruma.htm

ko uchi gari - minor inner reap: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...kouchigari.htm

tani otoshi - valley drop: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...taniotoshi.htm

ura nage - rear throw: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...ue/uranage.htm

ko soto gari - major outer reap: http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima...kosotogari.htm

drop seionage - dropping shoulder throw: http://www.suginoharyu.com/html/video/kihonwaza/ippon seoi nage (drop).mpg

osaekomi - pin
    ippon - point
    waza-ari - half point
    yuko - less than waza-ari
    koka - less than yuko

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter