Thread: Curious on a book

Curious on a book

Just curious,

I was having a glass of apple cider at Borders yesterday and finally picked up a copy of the book "Effortless Combat Throws" for a quick peek. What I found interesting was a vast amount of the throws were pretty similar to the manipulations we perform in my malay silat group. In specific I am talking about the head manipulations, neck surronding and spine turning takedowns.

From what I could see our followups are different but again the execution looks close. You also see some of those throws in different arts as well such as kali but what style did Tim pull these throws from?

Is it pa kua?
    Regards

Re: Curious on a book

Black Jack,

Tim Cartmell is a well-known practitioner of Gao Baguazhang under Luo De-xiu. The throws in his book are heavily influenced by that training. As a fellow practitioner, I've often had my material mistaken for Kuntao Silat, since Kuntao often claims Bagua as one of their influences. It's good stuff.

Thanks Chris,

I will pick up the book this week. It was cool to run across a book that basically had a bunch of the same stuff we do in it. I was expecting judo style hip and shoulder throws but when I opened it up I was like heh!!!!

Cheers
    Regards

Hi Black Jack,

Can't really add to what Chris said. I also see many similarities in Silat and Bagua. Tim Cartmell's book is definately a good one to have in your collection. Was that hot cider? I hear it's already getting cold back there.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Hot cider with whip cream and carmel on top. Nothing in Fall like hot yummy cider.

Count one of my fellow silat students main bread and butter is bagua and tai chi and he has remarked on some of the closeness to what we do as well. I think he termed it a combo of bagua and jujitsu with a bit of madness thrown in.

The specific silat style I work with, I also do escrima and combatives, is called Silat Seni Gayong. We just did a bunch of new pics for the webpage. I will be in a couple when it is updated this week as those pics are a bit older but here is the website if you wish to see it.

http://home.att.net/~gayong/
    Regards

Talking

Black Jack
    Hot cider with whip cream and carmel on top. Nothing in Fall like hot yummy cider
    yeah and ill bet you wear a bonnet and wear your granny's pantiesand prance around you pansy cider drinkin' f@g.

hehe sorry BJ ( as a gallant antagonist as you are with me i thought id be the antagonist for a while) hehehe just kidding anyway.
    Peace,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

First time I saw Uncle Bill he did puter kepala and I said Hey a Bagua head throw!

Ha

Is Uncle Bill Jewish. A Puter Kepala is a metal head right.

Ummm, yummy on that hot cider in the fall. But madness thrown in with Bagua and JuJitsu is a bit redundant, eh?
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Cider

Don't want to sound xenophobic here but Cider is meant to be drank cold and crisp and you're meant to drink in pints. If you ever come over to England you will gain a totally different perception of what real cider is and how it's drunk.
    It's meant to be drank in one sitting and at least 4-5 pints of it.

God forbid if America ever discovers Scrumpy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Scrumpy? Raw meat in zoider? Ya shandy drinkin' barstard (that's my best west country)

Buddy

I like the irony in your name.

I love scrumpy and cider, but I heard about a year back where when it was introduced in America they drank it from wine glasses like it was a fortified wine or sherry or something.!!!!
    That idea totally shocked me!!!!!!!!!
    Thats just like drinking a beer out of a egg cup.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

There are 2 keys to cider drinking.

1/ quantity.

2/ not haveing anything to do tommorow.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?