Thread: On fire

On fire

Well my town is on fire!

We have had really bad brush fires in SoCal this last week and thousands are out of their homes for safety or homeless due to fire.

The skies are gray and everything is ashen and sad.

I am safe, but many are not and so if anyone has the money or resources please check out this Red Cross site and see if you can help.

http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?cid={CB8D8928-0A24-4AED-8B07-E38E6BC390D2}&bin_id={DC885725-E7F5-4BF5-A44A-582B2712085A}

Thanks, back to my regular crass behavior.

David

Take care David- it is a major crisis. The Re Cross appeal has been highlighted in many places including Arizona,

Arizona also went through an extensive set of fires in the last year and a half- though it is ok now. But the damage in Mt Lemon and Apache country remains.

BTW the "show" must go on. NFL has moved the Dolphin- San Diego game to Tempe- today- at ASU Sun Devil Stadium--- so traffic and bus dislocatipns are likely on top of the Monday stuff at a very large and cramped university.

In passing- I was taking another look at Ip Ching's book about his father. Apparently -Ip Man had an above average interest in fires and in methods and attempts to combat them in crowded HK..

David,

Be safe!

Joy,

Maybe because his home was burned down during the Japanese occupation?

David,

Take care. Be safe.

Hope you and yours get through this OK.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Rene- I wouldn't be surprised by the role of the memory of that fire on IM. Many moons ago as a kid I was caught in a circus tent fire in the old world. Unforgettable- not only the quick spreading of the fire but the logic of human group behavior. Quite a few people died in the stampede for the exits.
    I am sure Andrew W. knows a lot about fires- I believe he is a firefighter.

I will be working in a Red Cross shelter next week.

I think most homes are safe but people still can use assistance.

Thanks for the support and well wishing

David

David-
    In the shifted San Diego- Miami Dolphins football game about to begin in Tempe-
    the proceeds from the locals are supposed to go for relief in the california fires...55,000 lined up to get in with donations -despite the confusion .
    I live only a mile away - and the traffic is crazy.
    So many unintended consequences from the fire.

My sympathy, thoughts, prayers, and condolence to your town and neighbors. It's always grievious to see good things of life end so suddenly.

Regards,

PH

Apparently someting in the neighborhood of $500,000
    has been collected in the SD/Dolphins game here for SD fire relief.
    SD is not doing well in the game- I am sure that worries about the home front does not help.

I hope they manage to control these fires,whit a little help from nature maybe?...
    Recently,it was the same in British Columbia.

David, take care.

To show you guys how bad these fires have gotten, I live in Las Vegas, which is like 4 hours from San Diego, and the sky is gray here, from the smoke. It's smells like burnt wood here, and it's as gray as a rainy day. HERE IN LAS VEGAS!!!!!!! I can only imagine how bad it is in San Diego. 4 hours away, and it' effects me us too. I heard on the news today some older ppl had smoke inhalation here. This is nuts.

The fire(s) have apparently spread to other areas.

In spite of the advances of technology, I am reminded of the traditional perspectives on the elemental/primeval links between fire, wind, water and earth.

The recent drouths in parts of the west appear to be a contributing factor in the spreading, plus wind patterns
    and earth usage.

In Tempe they have re-estimated downwards the relief supporting voluntary collection in a couple of hours at ASU's Sun Devil stadium to a
    quarter million rather than what was thought to be half a million. Still a substantial contribution in one town ina couple of hours.

It continues to be an awesome disaster. An elderly lady I know in SD area who was not in the direct path of the fire still had to go an get a
    mask to alleviate problems of breathing... I have not heard from her since the fire spread further. In the Arizona fires some months ago number 2 son had to rush to Cibecue in Apache country to get a girlfriend out in time.