Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Kung Fu style is the most well-rounded and fit for street combat?

jojitsu27 Guest

Which Kung Fu style is the most well-rounded and fit for street combat?

I have often which Kung Fu style is the most well-rounded and fit for functional self defense.
    I would vote for Wing Chun, which I study, but it has no groundfighting technique whatsoever.
    What do you guys think?
    -jojitsu27

flavour54 Guest
    Wing Chun has groundfighting.

------------------
    "take the pebble from my hand"

Sharky Guest
    tell us more, please. go into detail of what ground fighting wc has

Brad Guest
    Longterm I'd say modern longfist (don't laugh). It not only teaches basic self defense it's also make other styles easier to learn (crosstraining). As for teaching good self defense in the shortest amount of time I've found Arnis to be pretty efective.

Leon Guest
    I believe my style is very well rounded for street combat, luckily I haven't got the chance to test it though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

@xemili Guest
    As far as Kung-Fu styles go, I'd say, in a short time, Wing Chun (Which is also the style I study) I have to agree with Jo on this one, though. To my knowledge, Wing Chun has no groundfighting whatsoever.
    Choy Li Futt seems like the best rounded and effective Kung-Fu style, though. I have never taken it, so I don't really know.
    Shia Chiao (I forget the spelling) is a great art, also. Good for takedowns, throws, things like that.

------------------
    Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning.
    -George Elliot

Sharky Guest
    thanks for that leon, very helpful

:

Sam Guest
    Fut Sao Gu Yee Chuan Wing Chun Kuen's ground fighting starts in lotus and rerverse lotus and is adaptable to grappling and anti-grappling through it's Chin Na. www.buddhapalm.com

Leon Guest
    It wouldn't help you much if my style was the best in the world (which it probably is not) because you would have to move to Norway to practice it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    no offense meant

shenden Guest
    Leon, what do you practice?

I am interested in western as well as Eastern martial arts. From possibly the first complete martial arts system, Pankration, down to oddities like cornish wrestling (alot like judo), cumbrian wrestling (a bit like BJJ mixed with Judo and Boxing) and Greenoch (The celtish native martial art)

What system do you practice, and what are its characteristics?

Thanks in advance,
    Shenden

@xemili Guest
    If I'm not mistaken, Leon practices
    'Thái Cùc Hiêp Võ Môn KungFu'

Ah, the wonders of profiles. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

------------------
    Any coward can fight a battle when he's sure of winning.
    -George Elliot

CommonSense Guest

[This message has been edited by CommonSense (edited 07-03-2000).]

MoQ Guest
    Oh no dude, don't go there!hehehe

Wing Chun has ground fighting, fighting to stand up!
    The average 'Chunner is dead on the ground, but one time my mook jong fell over and...

With all the choices around, why would anyone be practicing a style that they didn't think was well rounded and efficacious?

SifuAbel Guest
    Change your name to uncommom sence,

I have done nothing but full contact my entire carreer as a martial artist. In and out of our school. I'm not afraid of anybody.
    Unfortunaly you can't tap out of a broken leg.
    There is nothing nervous about me.
    Careful what you wish for.....

Where did I come into this thread? Why did you pick this thread to comment on me? When there are so many others to choose from. the put up or shut up post, the attn sifuabel post, the monkey kung fu post. Whats the deal?

MoQ Guest
    I thought "What's this? Is it Monkey Season?"