Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Kung Fu style is the most well-rounded and fit for street combat?

Grappling-Insanity Guest

Give it up....

Wing Chun does not have groundfighting. Give up your idea and move on. I hope you recieve your closure :) .

Xebsball Guest
    Sometimes Wing Chun have ground stuff.
    Check this out:

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com/

-------------------------
    "Better have a chicken tomorrow than eggs today."

The Willow Sword Guest

In my humble opinion

the ancient art of ching ching POW!!!
    if you dont have that then the ever so secret techniques of BAT kung fu,,,and if you dont have that then i would suggest that you go to master wang hung lo's school of takeyodo,,,for 49'95 YOU TOO can be ultimate street fighter!

in all seriousness i really like hsing-i chuan.
    its no nonsense,,real simple,,,and will KILL you.
    YES KILL YOU. you train long and hard enough with your will and your mind and your abilities to focus you can hit them in the right spot and f**k them up,,,,,i personally like Tank Abbots form of hsing-i......i would want to be an allie of his not an enemy.
    many respects willow sword.
    (and no tank doesnt do hsingi literally,,or does he?,,,,,the term does mean "mind will fist")

Whatever you think i am or want me to be,,, i am.

the running guy Guest

Whatever gets you through the fight is all right.

The most well rounded style for street fighting is whatever style gets you through the fight without getting the s*** kicked out of you. Unfortunately, the only way to find out how well a style works in a street fight involves getting into a streetfight. Don't fight unless it is entirely necessary. Peace and be groovy.

Rolling Elbow Guest

Sorry but...

Wing Chun or derivatives Ving Stun may claim to have ground fighting but they do not. Ground fighting refers to holds, escapes, locks, reversals from the ground. Sticky hands and lap sao, bong sao may be seen partially on teh ground but what happens when the arms are locked up. Nobody is good enough to say they'll never hit the ground in a society where people way 200 + pounds and can grapple or will drop you like a sac a potatoes.

But having said that, any of the kungfu systems can be effective if they teach hand speed, power striking combinations and general sensitivity. Who cares about the style. Blocks are blocks, limb destructions are limb destructions...if you can land em then you can argue that your style is as good as the next. That's all that matters. But in playing with the game, i would say Wing Chun, Southern Mantis, Tiger, CLF, Bak Mei seem to be quite adept and street fighting. the otehrs are of course too but something like White Crane from what i have seen might take someone a tad longer to use because of the concentration and principles involved.

Bottom line, don't think about it and just go all guns blazing be it on the ground or stand up

Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Watchman Guest
    "Wing Chun does not have groundfighting." -- G-I

"Wing Chun or derivatives Ving Stun may claim to have ground fighting but they do not." -- R.E.

Wow! Look at all the Wing Chun experts!!

Hmmmmmmm. Let's see. I've been doing Wing Chun for 10 years, and have never practiced any other art. I practice counter-grappling, joint-wrenching, ground escapes, clinch work, takedowns and ground pins -- all movements taken from the forms, and all principles found in the art.

Yup, you're right, Wing Chun won't help on the ground. I wonder what it was I was doing on the mat for three hours today getting my shirt all dirty? Ah well.

Oh: "but what happens when the arms are locked up"? I twist my freakin' arms properly to escape the hold. And yes, I've practiced this.

By your definition of "ground fighting", though -- no Wing Chun does NOT contain "ground fighting". It does, however, contain a heavy component of supine counter-trapping, body positioning to prevent joint-locks, escapes, and joint wrenching to remove holds.

The focus is different. I don't work positions looking for subs, I work escapes to get my @ss back to my feet.

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
    Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.

-- Tzu-kung

chokeyouout2 Guest

Able, aren't these relatives oh yours?

Here's the matriarch of the munkey family.

Grappling-Insanity Guest

AHHAHAHHAHA!!

Those pics are hilarious :D . Ok, ok i'm sorry guys i'll rephrase. MOST WC does not have ground fighting. And i'm saying most because all the WC does not have groundfighting. You guys are the only ones that may have it in your system.

Losttrak Guest

Or as Mr. Kimura would say...

If they practice JJ grappling for 3 hours, then you need to practice 6 hours of Wing Chun on the ground. Sorry, just read Ryu's post on his grappling Icon. =p Imagine training hardcore for 10 hours straight. Sheesh.

"If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

SanSoo Student Guest

SanSoo

I think Kung Fu SanSoo is the best for street fighting/ combat situations. Unlike traditional fighting styles, SanSoo focuses only working up close with the opponent. SanSoo uses everything, eye pokes, groin strikes, etc.. What you might call cheap fighting

Watchman Guest
    >>>Sorry, just read Ryu's post on his grappling Icon. =p Imagine training hardcore for 10 hours straight. Sheesh.<<<

No kidding. Just when I thought I was training hard, I had to go and read that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
    Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.

-- Tzu-kung

CrazyDan Guest
    Welcome to the board San Soo Student! Who do you train under?

mantis-1 Guest
    Southern Mantis and street fighting.
    I practice two variations of Southern Mantis Chow Gar and Jook lum (Bamboo Forest). All defence and attack techniques of these Southern Mantis kung fu styles, originate from one main stance from which the southern mantis system draws its strength. It allows a firm foundation for the dominant power and skill of the southern mantis kung fu system, and is used to manipulate an opponent's attack and to force an opening in the defence allowing for reprisal of lethal and devastating effect and permanent damage.
    Bamboo Forest Temple Mantis Kung Fu Training Methods
    This style of southern mantis kung fu is purely for street fighting, and is not designed to create the particular look of a bodybuilder It is a dangerous and cruel kung fu combat system, relying on internal power and external toughness, which is developed by training and refining the required muscle, bones and power areas in order to achieve the necessary results in every technique.

LeiWulong Guest

JKD

JKD is the answer for all of your street fighting needs it has no forms, it is fighting stripped to the basics. there are no nonsense stances or ornate movements it is just pure unadaltered combat. Not to mention it was devolped for modern, down and dirty fighting.

old jong Guest
    Oh yeeaahh??? ;)

YABADABADOO!