Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Choice of women and children!

see that's exactly why i wouldn't.

it's hard to explain... i guess i see it as , you can always make more children with unrealized potential...?

Originally posted by GreyMystik
    see that's exactly why i wouldn't.

it's hard to explain... i guess i see it as , you can always make more children with unrealized potential...?
    IME, it ain't that easy.

I have friends who lost kids who had the same attitude prior to the event, now years later they(especially her) are still struggling with that event and the impact that they feel because of it.

Also think about it.
    You loose lets say a 9yr old Child, I would reckon that it would take atleast another 10yrs to have another child reach that age.

Having a 9yr old child at age 31 and at age 41 is very different.

It isn't as easy as popping into a shop and getting a replacement, the older the child is the more investment and effort you have put into raising it.

The people on here saying they would choose the woman obviously don't have any children.

You can mouth off all you want about how you could make another child, but when you have children, and I have 2 of them, they are the most important thing in the world to you. Your wife would be secondary, as you would be in her eyes as well.

If neither is related to you, that's a different story, but I would still pick the kid because an adult has at least had the opportunity to become an adult, and the child deserves the same opportunity.

I don't care who you are....nobody would choose to outlive their children if they had a say in the matter.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-30-2003 at 02:16 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I don't care who you are....nobody would choose to outlive their children if they had a say in the matter.
    my one and only wish is that adora outlive me. if i had to die tomorrow for that to be true, i'd gladly do so.
    where's my beer?

alright, first off, i don't recall anything being said about this being "your" children or "your" wife.

the question was about strangers. that changes things (to me).

perhaps if i had kids of my own, i would be more likely to save them than my wife (if i were married) but i doubt it.

my wife would have given more to my life at that time, and i'd still go with her.

maybe if i got married and had kids, things would change. maybe not.

at this point, since none of us have had to do what we are talking about (that i know of), it's all speculation.

Originally posted by GreyMystik
    my wife would have given more to my life at that time, and i'd still go with her.
    It has nothing to do with what she has given to your life. It has nothing to do with what this person has or will contribute to society. It has nothing to do with the worth of the one person over the other. It has everything to do with that child being a part of you. This child looks up to you and trusts you to protect them. They have an innocent love that we loose sight of as we age.

I don't think you are a bad person or anything because of this. I really think you will change your mind someday when you are married and have kids. And I believe all of us would give up our lives if it could save the two lives in this situation.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Not everyone has the same Ideals , may I suggest that since we are on this issue of morals or ethics I would like to present you with some variables.

(a) the same situation, the woman is your mother , and the child is your nephew or neice.

(b) the same situation the woman is your wife , the child is your cousin.

(c) the same siyuation the woman is your sister, the child is unknown

(d) the same situation the woman is a friend, the child is hers.

Also, it may be good if you could answer these other questions.

"If you could cure cancer by sacrificing the life of any random person (the gods would decide for you) beside yourself would you sacrifice that person to save the lives of many?"

what if it were aids and not cancer , could you do it then?

"if you and one of your parents along with your best friend are on safari and somehow your parent and best friend are stung by a viper, you are carrying anti-venom but only enough to barely save one person, if you split it , it wont work, who would you save?"

fair enough:

(a) the same situation, the woman is your mother , and the child is your nephew or neice.

- child. your mother would never forgive you.

(b) the same situation the woman is your wife , the child is your cousin.

- child. your wife would never forgive you.

(c) the same siyuation the woman is your sister, the child is unknown

- child. your sister would never forgive you.

(d) the same situation the woman is a friend, the child is hers.

- child. your friend would probably fucking kill you.
    where's my beer?

if it means anything i see your point when you take out the variable of the child being yours.

i think it would make a big difference for a lot of people, just not me personally.

and to be completely honest the sister one would be a lot harder than any others. we are very close and she basically raised me as my actual mother is completely ****ing crazy and my father died when i was 15. however, knowing her as i do she couldnt bare knowing her life was spared for that of a child. even after she's ran a day care for years and feels like strangeling most of the little *******s.
    where's my beer?

My answers are the same asw GDA's.

"If you could cure cancer by sacrificing the life of any random person (the gods would decide for you) beside yourself would you sacrifice that person to save the lives of many?"

what if it were aids and not cancer , could you do it then?.
    Can't answer, because it is a loaded question and totally unrealistic.

Also, it may be good if you could answer these other questions.

what if it were aids and not cancer , could you do it then?

"if you and one of your parents along with your best friend are on safari and somehow your parent and best friend are stung by a viper, you are carrying anti-venom but only enough to barely save one person, if you split it , it wont work, who would you save?"

Mute point, they are all adults and capable of making their own decision on who should get the anti-venom.

Nice try.

lol,
    it's obvious that we have very different upbringings and social values.
    however i find your dedication to preserving life in it's stage of "innocence" as you call it to be admirable , only because i believe strongly that a man should always stand for something or fall for anything... and it is apparent that is what you are in fact doing.

i truly believe you are being honest with this , and of course the is no judgement. now that you've explained the sister thing I get what it means to you, and i suppose by default what it would mean to her.

I know many people who are closer to thier sister , or brothers and making that choice for them would be the complete opposite.

As the mother of two lovely little boys, I would always pick the child.

mute point...

4 shame , it's only a mute point if your religious or moral ethics teach you that a child is incapable of making thier own decisions.
    what age child also factors into the decision, infant, toddler, young child, pre teen, teen, adolescent? according to catholicism the age of reason is attained at 7. I'm sure this makes no difference to you at least gda admitted that he was making a passionate decision. you are outrightly dismissing a valid ethical question.

to please you , i will add this to the mix, suppose in the case of the anti venom, both the parent and best friend were unconcious?

the cancer question , while being unrealistic addressess your character as well. the original question itself might be unrealistic unless you were spiderman and the hobgoblin (or some other megalomaniac) was forcing you to choose between the person you love and a group of innocent people...

what would you choose hero?

ppl should never have to make that decision, but unfortunately some do decide wether a person lives or dies....

personally i'm glad governor bush intervened in the florida situation with that comatose girl.

First of all.

I DO NOT follow Judeo/Christian values/morals or practice any other religion.

If both were unconscious I would give the anti-venom to the physically weaker person, logical choice that you will do YOUR best to try to save both.

And ask why if we went into an snake infested area did we not carry enough AV for such an eventuality, and proper gear to protect against snake bites.

BTW, there are ways to survive snake bites without AV unless of course you step onto a black mamba, 2 step or similar, but I disgress.

Even though, IMHO, the scenarios above like many others here are total bollocks designed to get people to agree to your point.
    Common tactic also to further sub-define the scenarios to get the desired responses.

Have a nice day.