Thread: PBS Independent Lens:Shaolin Ulysses

PBS Independent Lens:Shaolin Ulysses

Very nice Gene,only one bad thing about the program,

I didn't last long enough,look foward to more treats like that one,

BTW,where did that monk learn Wing Chun??

I caught the last of it as well when I got in from class. I didn't know who was producing it at first and was surprised when I saw the Got Qi shirt that the monk was wearing along with the Feivue shoes.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Smile

Oh I saw the whole show,I just wanted to see more...

are they gonna re-broadcast it?

I did get a little nauseated with the camera movement during some of the forms performance. I get motion sickness from those things.

Also next time don't have subtitles while some cool action is going on during screen, have a translator.

All in all a cool show, though. But what was up with that gal that was all about the fame and getting on tv so her friends could see her? I also found it a little funny for the doctor with the Ferrari and big house in Vegas to be speaking of shaolin principles and the monks after having such an extravagant lifestyle. (I'm not too critical; I'm a capitalist as well)
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

The replay will depend on your local PBS schedule. The philadelphia pbs is re-runing at 1 AM, Friday morning (I beleive). check www.whyy.org for latest schedule in the philly area.

Basically, find your local pbs's website and check its tv schedule for this week to see if it gets re-run.

wm
    dazed and confused

I also found it a little funny for the doctor with the Ferrari and big house in Vegas to be speaking of shaolin principles and the monks after having such an extravagant lifestyle. (I'm not too critical; I'm a capitalist as well)
    That's Doc for you. He runs www.russbo.com, and is affiliated (finacially, I think) with the Las Vegas Shaolin Temple branch. He may be an @ss sometimes, but he's a genuine student of Shaolin.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

And why interview him in Hooters? think the director was trying to make a point?

hooters

The hooters scene resulted from a joke I made that got taken seriously. That happens a lot to me and in this case, it was sad since it cast my martial brother Dr. Russell (russbo) in a bad light. He's a great supporter of Shaolin, an earnest disciple, but he does live in Vegas and what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Since then, he has opened a Shaolin school, not with Xinghong as shown in the program, but with Xingwei and soon, with our master Decheng.

As for Xinghong's mook jong play, he's travelled the world and worked with many many martial artists, both abroad and at Shaolin, so he could have picked that up anywhere. He's an amazing talent.

The project was really Martha Burr's, our former editor. She's the filmmaker. I was more of a conduit - I introduced her to Lipeng, Dr. Russell and Decheng (who's students were used in the Shaolin segments) etc. I also did the interview with Jamel and a bunch of other odd tasks.

We've been discussing this on the Shaolin forum since March 2003 - come on down if you want to talk more.

here's the thread
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

very good program

Gene
    there was a television show about animal styles kung fu on animal planet one time, do you know where to get a copy? was kungfumagazine involved, I know Martha was on the show. That was good also (from what I remember, its been a couple years.)
    Bless you

You'd have to contact Animal Planet...

...maybe some forum members might have a copy for trade. That was back in Feb 2001.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have it on tape.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.