Thread: It's not the style it's the person?

It's not the style it's the person?

There are alot of people out there that will argue that
    it has little to do with the style you do but more on the natural skill of the person doing the style.

My argument is simply this.

If you look at sports,
    take the high jump for example.
    Everyone used to use the straddle method to clear the bar untill
    the Fosberry Flop was introduced.The new style proved more efficient than the old and became the way to do it.Take two high jumpers, the one is slightly more gifted than the other and with both of them doing the straddle, can jump higher than the other,however if the weaker jumper gets taught and uses the Fosberry flop while the other sticks to the more "Traditional" method it will be of no suprise if the weaker suddenly beats the better jumper.

There are so many sports where techniques have improved,take swimming for instance the freestyle of today is technically different to 10 years ago and todays swimmers could probably beat swimmers of old that may have been more gifted than them.

I think the same can be said for martial arts styles,though the athlete plays a large part in how good he can become the style can play a part too.
    "You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

i don't think it was ever decided that style isn't an issue it all, just that it's not the main issue. the person is.

it's just like size, or strength, or anything else ... if the skill level of both practicioners is about the same then these factors will come into play whether you like it or not. little guys want to pretend size doesnt matter and those who study a notoriously combat deficent art want to pretend that the issue will never be an issue.

the point still stands though, that a smaller guy who studys aikido/sd/tkd will beat down a larger guy who studies bjj/mt/boxing if he's a better fighter.
    where's my beer?

With your high jump example, you also have to take into account changes in the rules and equipment available for the event. The reason that the straddle jump was used was because they used to land into a sand pit, not a foam cushion. If you tried to do the fosbury in those conditions you would break your neck.

And swimming - well technology has played a big part there.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Also compare some of the feats of the guys in the paralympics do the Olympics.

Some of those guys are not that far behind or even better and they got a handicap too.

Technique + Skill = Greatness

FWIW, there are still some sports records that are still untouched after decades of improvements and advancements in gear.

I think it's more about the training.

There are so many sports where techniques have improved,
    and so many techniques that have caused specialization.

I think the same can be said for martial arts styles,though the athlete plays a large part in how good he can become the style can play a part too.
    Depends upon what the style emphasizes. Muay Thai is excellent for fighting Muay Thai bouts but suffered in the early UFCs. It's pretty weak in knifefighting too.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.