Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: blacktsun- Your misperception of BJJ

DragonMaster Guest
    He is terrible on his feet!

DragonMaster Guest
    REAL Kung Fu has never been in the UFC. I have sparred bjj peeps and made them look foolish. I remember reading a while back someone here defeated 3 of them from the Gracie academy! I'm sure there are others here who have sparred bjj people before, am I right? Did they take you down easily? If so you definitely need to work on your Kung Fu. Simple.

ChuanFa Guest
    Of course real Kung Fu has never been allowed in the UFC! The gracies stood to lose too much money if they were beaten! Just look at the Pride Grand Prix 2000, Royce Gracie had his a** handed to him on a plate by Kazushi Sakuraba!
    As a side note regarding Kung Fu being "ineffective" against BJJ, the Chin Na techniques in Kung Fu could easily take out a BJJ fighter on the ground, if the kung fu guy knows how to apply it properly. I've seen a jiu-jitsu fighter in demonstration get his nose broken by a Kenpo guy, before they even hit the mat. The only thing this BJJ hype has done, is allow teachers of other styles to incorporate new techniques (or those which have been there for ages) into their curriculum that will allow BJJ to be defeated!

JWTAYLOR Guest
    It's like playing cards with my brother's kids.

JWT

GinSueDog Guest
    Hmmm...there seems to be a them vs. us attitude with some around here. I really do not understand why some people choose to blind themselves to the need of developing an area that until BJJ came to the lime light was pretty much neglected for the most part in this country and most of the world. I suggest trying it for yourself first, then make your judgements.-ED

P.S.-I know what you mean JWT. I give up.

------------------
    "The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 07-24-2000).]

OK, I can't believe I'm responding to one of these threads, but here goes. If you are a striker, and you do not train to both avoid takedowns AND protect yourself if taken down, you have left a gigantic opening in your personal style that may well lead to defeat. On the other hand, if you are a grappler, and do not train for both effective striking, and closing against a qiuck and powerfull puncher, then YOU, my friend, have left a gigantic opening in your personal style, that may well lead to defeat. The six month BJJ vs striker example can be valid, if the striker has no ground experience. But I have seen strikers, with 6 months training and a High School wrestling background, give some fairly skilled BJJ fighters all they could handle. As for me, I train in both striking and grappling, and anything else that looks like fun. If you prefer one over the other, great for you! but keep n mind, it is a personal preference, not the edict of the Lord.

edit those spelling errors, heh, heh.

[This message has been edited by SW (edited 07-24-2000).]

Knifefighter Guest
    So where are all of these awesome Kung Fu masters hiding out?

DragonMaster Guest
    Its really not so simple to get someone on the ground as you think if they are skilled at kung fu. When I sparred some grapplers before I saw so many chances to hurt them really bad, openings everywhere, but we were just doing friendly sparring so I didnt. Maybe you guys should try taking down a real Kung Fu master then YOU will understand.

Knifefighter Guest
    Any good Kung Fu masters in the Los Angeles area that I might try taking down?

DragonMaster Guest
    I woudnt recommend it, you might wind up blind, maimed or dead. Not worth it.

Chameleon Guest
    Knifefighter:

Just a word of caution to you...If you've never experienced the power of an art like Zen Chi Fa, then I'd suggest you do so before trying to submit a kung fu master.

Trying to take down a skilled Zen Chi Fa practicioner is akin to suicide.

[This message has been edited by Chameleon (edited 07-24-2000).]

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest
    this is ****ing ridiculous. i appologize for being part of the childish and pointless thread preceeding this post. the only reason i posted at all was because i thought knifefighter . . the guy who actually started the thread . . wasnt giving kung fu credit where it was deserved. this isn't the case, and after he was question about it by myself and others he made it clear. everyone is going to think their art is the best . . period. it is a natural bias and there isnt a problem with it. howerver, the best fighter wins the fight . . . period. there is no style that is going to change that reality. someone may become a better fighter using bbj or kung fu, but if a bar brawler is a better fighter than these guys he will win. so love your stlye, respect others, and stop acting like pride slapped three year olds.

Chameleon Guest
    GunnedDownAtrocity:

You can pretend that it is the person and not the art...But then, you've obviously never seen the deadly art of Zen Chi Fa either.

Braden Guest
    KF - I *KNOW* there's good kungfu guys in LA, it's just a matter of finding them.

I'm way up in Canada, so I'm hardly familiar with the people down there, but you should post a new thread asking for peeps in LA who would be open to some friendly tests of skill.

The only guys I know in California are Mike Patterson, whose fighters have proven in the ring that they're excellent; and Adam Hsu, who is also bound to have some good students somewhere, but his people are in Palo Alto, Sunnyvale, and San Francisco, which are probably no closer to you than La Mesa.

Best wishes.

CommonSense Guest
    What have these Kung Fu masters done or proven to make you believe that their techniques are so superior to BJJ? I say if you doubt brazilian jiu jitsu you should just go to a bjj academy and ask for a challenge match. I'm sure you would have no problem finding someone willing to fight you.