At most kickboxing tournaments I've been to, I have noticed that the combatants usually revert back to the more natural, and less elegant, patterns of kung fu. These students may perform kickboxing combinations beautifully while practicing in the mirror, but when someone is trying to take their heads off they just can't make it work. Rather than throwing a jab as they practiced, they may assume the bow-arrow stance and attack with an eagle claw.
I am very depressed. My lust for kickboxing is almost gone, I'm not even sure whether or not it can be used for fighting. Everytime I go to a kickboxing gym they tell me how they use their kickboxing for fighting and it looks good while they are doing drills, but when sparring begins bobbing and weaving is cast aside for easier techniques taken from various kung fu styles. They say they are doing kickboxing, but anyone who has seen kung fu knows that they are not doing kickboxing. They may wear boxing gloves and shorts, sure, wrap their wrists, but other than the way they dress they are 100% kung fuish.
Does kickboxing only work in movies like "Kickboxer" and "Kickboxing Academy?"
Please help.