Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry, have to vent...

Sorry, have to vent...

Took third in my division this weekend at the Copa Atlantica (NOT HAPPY ABOUT THIS) and put my opponent to sleep in the open before bowing out to a teammate (Decided WAY ahead of time that the persons who won their divisions took precedence over those of us who didn't).

I'm furious and here I am into the next day. I went against the same guy who I let beat me 3-2 at a different tournament so I am now 0-fer-2 against him. Worse, he beat me with the same ****ing mat strategy. I let him stall me for the first 4 minutes even though I knew he didn't have the energy to compete with my conditioning for 7 minutes straight (and he didn't--I told my teammate to bust his ass and my teammate beat him).

The difference between the top 1% and the top 5% is all mental, and champions pull the trigger from the first ****ing moment.

This weekend, I'm murdering my opponents at the NAGA...
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

you'll see him again. Don't let him stall next time. Turn up the heat on him.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    you'll see him again. Don't let him stall next time. Turn up the heat on him.
    Good luck at the NAGA
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Practice diligently and intently a different strategy for him. Try to identify how he neutralized you and look how you can use THAT to set up for your move.

I'd go into more detail, but A.) you know the ground game probably much better than I do, and B.) My long winded speech on strategic options would probably be a rehash for you MP.

If you guys tape your matches, watch those tapes. And prepare that strategy. Find the psychological hole you can lead him into, and you will be victorious.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

You need to work on Qi and deep breathing.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Practice diligently and intently a different strategy for him. Try to identify how he neutralized you and look how you can use THAT to set up for your move.
    At this point, it's an issue of my mental game. My technique is fine (can always be better of course) my conditioning is fine (couldn't be better unless I became a full time athlete). But I LET this guy stall me out because I became more concerned about what HE was doing that what I was doing.

And that's an issue of training your head to a championship level. My GAME is good enough.... now, *I* have to be just as good as my game.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Thumbs up

Do good at NAGA MP. I'd say good luck but screw luck.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by Merryprankster

At this point, it's an issue of my mental game. My technique is fine (can always be better of course) my conditioning is fine (couldn't be better unless I became a full time athlete). But I LET this guy stall me out because I became more concerned about what HE was doing that what I was doing.
    I've been having this same problem in rolling lately. It's got me seriously ****ed at myself, and it's probably irritating the shit out of my coach, too.

I'm spending this week trying to snap myself out of it and practice kicking it into gear as soon as the match starts. I hope I can manage it, and I hope you do, too. Good luck.

Catch ya at NAGA.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

And that's an issue of training your head to a championship level. My GAME is good enough.... now, *I* have to be just as good as my game.
    Out of curiosity, do you train using any awareness type drills? If so what kind? I try a few, but would like to hear what others do as well...

Also, since you brought up the *I*, do you differentiate mental and emotional? By that, I mean, are you making mistakes because of a lapse in mental accuity, or are you becoming frustrated due to the circumstance and reacting accordingly?
    Last edited by Ralphie; 11-02-2003 at 08:59 PM.

Hey MP - whats your favorite program ir author for mental toughness?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

now you know and knowing is half the battle. be all that you can be man, just do it.
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 11-03-2003 at 02:46 AM.
    where's my beer?

Was is Justin "Quadzilla" Garcia u went against or another dude?Justin is a strong mofo but i know 100 fold that your technique and conditioning is better then his. He does do a hell of a job on using his strategy and making people do what he wants them to do if it's him.
    Tapped Out

Nah, it wasn't quadzilla, LOL. Although, he was there. This guy's name is Brett Thompson. He's very good--took three matches in the purple belt absolute at the world's.

*I* refers to being "there" as soon as everything starts. I have the ability to dictate the pace of the match but I was too hesitant. At purple belt, there are no easy matches. Everybody wearing a purple belt has the basics down and can do some subset of things very very well. At that point, the dividing line starts to become mental.

MS Too,

My favorite? Without a doubt, Lloyd Irvin. Shameless plug for the grappling blueprint. It's working for me, and I say that with all sincerity. His program is all about CHOICES.

oh no son, i dont believe
    you lost again

what did i tell you last time?
    yet you never came to me for pre-fight tips as i had told you to do so...

sometimes you just sadden me, u know

you wont ever never be a champon like this
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"