Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What killed JKD?

What killed JKD?

Or who? It used to be the premier martial art but now it's just a shadow of it's former self.

The real original laughing Louie.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The fact that anything that lasts a while becomes "classical". JKD is set up to be the "rebellious answer traditional CMAs", now that it's been around a while it can't fall into the paradigm it was designed to defeat.

It's kind of like my mythical uncle Kenny. He was a rebellious teenager, and claimed it as the defining point of his persona. Now he's 40+ and he's just a loser that won't settle down and get a job. However, he owns a $15,000 Harley and dates whatever new young girl he comes across.

JKD = old guy (art) playing young with cool toys (ideas) flirting with new girls (obscure martial arts for JKD concepts guys)!

Actually, I don't know what I'm talkin' about...I like JKD. I blame this entire post on peer pressure from you and the way you phrased the question.

Keep it simple, stupid.

Radhnoti, that is one of the most original and best descriptions of current JKD that I've ever heard.

The real original laughing Louie.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Of the JKD guys I have seen, it's mostly due to the fact that they are trying so hard to find thier"Technique" that they never develop any. I belive true JKD is not really a style, but an expression of mastership. In order to "Get it", you must be well trained in a classical art, just like JKD's founder was. Then, once you have that foundation, you must learn to walk the path alone, and become your own master.

To each style a master, and to each master, his own technique.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

However, he owns a $15,000 Harley and dates whatever new young girl he comes across.

Note to self: Must buy Harley.

Question

I dont understand the quesiton, and I like radh's response.

Really, Im prettynew to this stuff. When was JKD alive and how did it die?

Is this a plug for the SBG ?

What makes something a "art?"

When do "arts" become "classical?"

strike!

Thumbs up

Stagger Lee.

With a long forty-four.

I personally think JKD is alive and well and usually goes by the name MMA. Because thats all JKD is- fighting using whatever works.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

i've never known a lot of jkdists, but i would guess that the 'seminar culture' really did it in. you have a ton of guys running around trying to certifications for this or that, a tons of guys trying to fill up their notebooks, a ton of guys trying to find exotic undiscovered martial arts. instead of gaining insight into new and better training methods, they were looking for the new secret technique. oh well.

pazman,
    My point exactly.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Nah, not looking for a secret technique, but something else to add. One guy wants to add bjj to his jkd, another wants to add silat, etc. There's a major lack of standardization. Of course, that's the way it was meant to be, but that is also it's downfall.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Why would that be a downfall? Or do you mean the search for the latest guru/style instead of original creativity is the down fall?

For the Women:

+ = & a

JKD isn't really a style so it can't go away.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

jkdead it is. & hope itll continue to be.

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    Why would that be a downfall? Or do you mean the search for the latest guru/style instead of original creativity is the down fall?
    because you lose almost all ways of tracking who's legit. you get people making false claims, etc. No different from the problems you see in CMA today.

Due to it's lack of standardization (it's not a style) you begin to lose frame of reference. my jkd may consist of trapping, silat and muay thai. yours may be savate, boxing and judo - it gives any yahoo the opportunity to present what they have as JKD.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter