Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Personal Truth

On Personal Truth

Who are you? Or, more to the point, what are you? Have you Purpose, goal, need?

Do you have dreams, visions, prophecies
    Of what you want, wish, or what might be
    For You?

I ask this only because, with my return to training coming nigh (hopefully within 2003) I've had to reevaluate my stances on a lot of issues.

I'm becoming downright furious with my job. My manager, to be specific. Once, a cool assistant manager. Now, a two-faced, double talking manager. My scheduling conflicts with school and job are becoming horribly muddled.

I've come to question the cultural trappings of my style. Why do things a Japanese way? Just becasue they've been done like this before? Karate, at least the style we practice, isn't Japanese, but Okinawan. Same nation, but the intent is different. Besides, this is a gym in the U.S. I don't pronounce things, I butcher them.

I've come to know more about myself than I'd've liked previously. I've come to define myself through my physicallity. Something, previous to weight training and later, martial arts, I didn't do.

So, to the topic:

Who is being honest with the self? Whether that honesty be conveyed in training, living, spirituallity (spit and gasoline cover the face of religion), are you being yourself?
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I am the embodiment of stoned. I am the wind and the clouds, or maybe its a puff of smoke.

I have a dream...It had William Shatner in it and he's wearing a lime green jumpsuit. He was trying to peddle off all the surplus Playboy's that no one would buy because of the Anna Nicole Smith spread.*shutters*

But Seriously, my dream is to have a productive life, and to have enough clout & finances that when my days are over, my children can live happily.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Me, I just want a cushy high paying job with easy hours so I can enjoy doing what I enjoy, and enjoy being around family and frinds as much as I can. This 60 hours a week working for a psycotic nutcase is killing me.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Vash - you're christian? Go Get a copy of "Purpose Driven Life" you might like it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Re: On Personal Truth

Originally posted by Vash

I've come to question the cultural trappings of my style. Why do things a Japanese way? Just becasue they've been done like this before? Karate, at least the style we practice, isn't Japanese, but Okinawan. Same nation, but the intent is different. Besides, this is a gym in the U.S. I don't pronounce things, I butcher them.
    Ease of teaching. Also standardization. Take judo for example. For the basics techniques for the throws - teach them the Japanese way. That's the way the technique was created. Once you compete, however, you see that the typical traditional way isn't effective in competition. You have to modify your grips and attacking angles, etc., but first you must be comfy with the basics. Also, standardization. If there wasn't a standard, then different clubs would have different names for the same techniques, making the style more convoluted.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Vash - you're christian? Go Get a copy of "Purpose Driven Life" you might like it.
    Yep. Christian w/added attitude and a teriyaki flavor.

I'll have to pick that up next paycheck.

Ease of teaching, standardization
    I think I started another thread for this debate. I know I'm not gonna change anyone's opinions on the matter, and I really don't think I should, even if I could. It doesn't groove for me, is all.
    Most everyone else seems to get along with it just fine.

Maybe it's just me? Naaahhh. The whole world is insane.

BUTT seriously, who's being honest with themselves? Whether it be in their purpose, living, training, whathaveyou?

Just seems like an interesting question.

Do you get in trouble for saying the names wrong?

If you dont like lingo, then stay away from it.

Eventually, even if you cant pronounce all the stuff in japanese correctly, you should be able to "codify" your personal method.

I train because I train.

If you dont like your job, its probably not worth it.

strike!

Nah, we don't get in trouble, just corrected.

I don't use it outside of class. Not even in my personal workouts, whatever.

Yeah. Gonna stop by the office today, talk to boss. Depending on how that goes, I may or may not decide to leave and become unemployed.

Being honest with yourself is nothing more than making a decision to be something and being it.

And I'm rapidly learning, decisions are all-powerful.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Who are you? Or, more to the point, what are you?
    I'm a father and husband.

Have you Purpose, goal, need?
    To provide for my family, protect my family and to raise my sons to be good men. Martial arts are part of what I use to help me achieve those goal.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Re: On Personal Truth

Originally posted by Vash
    Do you have dreams, visions, prophecies
    Of what you want, wish, or what might be
    For You?

no mystical crap (however you spell mystical)
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

If I may borrow something:

Warrior's Creed by Robert Humphrey
    Wherever I go,
    everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.

Wherever I am,
    anyone in need has a friend.

Whenever I return home,
    everyone is happy I am there.

"It's a better life!"

---

Sounds good to me!
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

13. Post

I just want to learn as much about the universe as possible (a little selectively of course).
    There-.
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Me, I just wanna be. I want to do the stuff that matters to me, the stuff I define myself by. My personal truth, or whathaveyou.

I intend to live in a rather ferocious and defined manner.

Starting tomorrow. To frikkin late today. Goodnight.

i train because my life was going on a downword spiral. all i did was work seven days a week and i went to school full time. i had zero time to have fun. so i started kung fu. it gave me discipline i never had before, it improved my mentality. it made me a better person. now i train kung fu because it is more of a life style for me. i stopped drinking alchohal. i have a healthy diet now, i dont even drink caffine anymore. it changed me completely. if i told myself 2/3 years ago that this would happen the old me would say "F THAT" but now when new things come up I say bring it on. Kung fu is a way of life. i do it over many things these days. all my friends go out on the weekends to get drunk and whatever. i rather spend my time meditating and practicing. yeah it sounds extreme, but kung fu has brought me a peace that i have not known before.