Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your training

Your training

There's been a lot of discussion lately about aproaches to training. Found this article, thought it was pretty good:

http://members.shaw.ca/tmanifold/gladiator_school.htm

Is your training preparing you for a guy like this?

That's interesting. My brother-in-law works in a maximum security prison so he's told me about how creative the inmates are in fabricating weapons. I think the most important lesson is the mindset he speaks of to defend against a committed attack. I think most MA's have the skills to defend themselves, but how many of us have that kind of mindset?

BTW, the author advocated biting while on the ground!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Am I prepared for a guy like this unarmed? Yes.

Am I prepared to deal with assassination style tactics using a weapon, with no warning? No. I would venture to say that none of us are learning this.

MA training is mostly about combat. Very little of it is about identifying danger of the sort this fellow describes.

Prison Violence is a completely different sort of situation than what we see in the real world. In the real world, you're generally not surrounded by violent, borderline psychopaths looking for an excuse to shank you. It's a very different society so I think we should, perhaps, take what he has to say with that in mind.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster

Am I prepared to deal with assassination style tactics using a weapon, with no warning? No. I would venture to say that none of us are learning this.
    That's why I train with Ninjas.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I hear Ninjas are totally sweet.

And, they're mammals.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

recent studies have shown that ninjas are, in fact, not mammals. they belong to a totally unique group of animal species. sorta like plathopus's.

All mammals have nipples.
    All Ninjas have nipples
    Therefore, All ninjas are mammals.

(or maybe all mammals are ninjas )
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

WaterDragon has just raped the Chewbacca defense and left it to cry in the shower.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

surprise attack

MMA has had a positive influence on MA in general, but with all do respect, it has also had a negative effect as well.

Many here are so quick to prove that they can apply an arm bar (to show they can match BJJ) that they have forgotten that physical is only one aspect of surviving an encounter. There are other issues as well, such as awareness and being mentally prepared (to do what you have to do and also accept the consequences).

I grew up in a pretty rough area of Newark and learned early the worst fights are not of the "meet you after school sort".

The exact day after kicking the **** out of some kid (he had it coming), two of his older friends were waiting for me with baseball bats infront of my house. Luckily I had detention (for the day before fight) and got there late. Right when my mind was racing on how I could get passed them, maybe get to my hockey stick in the back of my house in the alley, my dad showed up, home from work early.

He chased them away saying, "You're lucky I'm here. My son's a black belt and would kick your ass."

Yea. Real lucky It was from that day forward that I looked at my training differently and began to question everything. I was like 12.

Surprise attacks are the rule on the street, not the exception. The others are bar scuffles, arguments that turn violent. But the nature of attack is surprise ... and often armed.
    Last edited by Ray Pina; 11-06-2003 at 09:36 AM.

MMA has had a positive influence on MA in general, but with all do respect, it has also had a negative effect as well.
    WTF? Don't blame it on MMA. It's pandemic. Situational Awareness is MOST of self-defense, and MOST MA's don't teach it. They teach you to fight.

I want to stress that MMA influence has been dramatically more positive, and maybe the biggest wake up call for MA since I've been studying (since 1978).

At the same time, this call for "reality fighting" tends to look down on and label some of the other aspects of martial arts as fluff or smoke and mirrors (admit, some folks take this too far ... and ironically are often the ones with no substance. Making up for what they lack in combat skills with equally lacking intention training).

Focus and awareness go hand in hand with martial arts. And as a fighter, I know you possess both. You couldn't train the way you do and compete the way you do without it.

I'm just suggesting that folks like us that routinly square up with someone in the opposite corner that we see clearly and can anticipate their tactics somewhat, have to be careful to keep in mind that it will be different on the street ... if that is something we deem to be important.

This is not a problem created by MMA. Far from it. But sport fighting is placing a due importance on the physical, but I wonder about mind training. Is it falling by the way side? Who will continue to train it to insure the next generation gets it?

Basically, is it all becoming about lifting weights and kicking the bag harder ... shooting roids in the butt cheak?

How many here do some form of mind training? Intention training?

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    WaterDragon has just raped the Chewbacca defense and left it to cry in the shower.

c'mon man you're a Bonafied pimp

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    In the real world, you're generally not surrounded by violent, borderline psychopaths looking for an excuse to shank you.
    That's odd, I thought you did live in the U.S.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    All mammals have nipples.
    All Ninjas have nipples
    Therefore, All ninjas are mammals.

(or maybe all mammals are ninjas )
    Logically, this proves nothing. It's like saying, "All people have feet; all birds have feet; therefore, all people are birds."

All ninjas have nipples.
    All flan is tasty.
    Therefore Royce will choke you out.
    Cut the tiny testicles off of both of these rich, out-of-touch sumbiches, crush kill and destroy the Electoral College, wipe clean from the Earth the stain of our corrupt politicians, and elect me as the new president. --Vash