Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why does BJJ students have such Attitude problems

Mark Guest

Why does BJJ students have such Attitude problems

Why is it that all the arguments in this forum start by BJJ students or Include BJJ students??
    This is not having a go at BJJ or anything just a serious disscusion on the bad nature some students put towards there style!
    What are your (serious) thoughts on the topic??

vingtsunstudent Guest
    hey mark
    good question & it will be interesting to see what every one has to say.as 4 me well i'm going to have a beer & will check the responses u get when & if i get home.

Paul DiMarino Guest
    Thanks for the blanket statement. Where do you pull this from? Everybody at my BJJ school and almost everybody that I met from other BJJ schools have always been open minded and friendly. Any teasing or prodding done to somebody because of former martial arts styles they've done have always been good natured and just kidding around. The only bad attitudes I've seen have been from nameless, faceless, internet message board posters. If we are going by that, then KF and karate guys haven't been the poster children for maturity, respect, and self-control that they claim training traditionally will bring. The moral of the story: don't make conclusions about a very large group of people from a very small and isolated group of anonymous loud-mouths. I though that was just common sense though... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

nospam Guest
    I agree with Paul. Unless you have experienced otherwise, are you judging this 'bad bjjj' atttitude from the Net or from a person face-to-face?

A certain amount of ego will come from the majority of MAists irregardless of style or system. But I let go of all the bjj is better garbage a long time ago. Perhaps it is time others do as well. As Paul mentioned, all we have around here, unless you have met some of these folks first hand, is nothing but words..and most flames are from folks who are simply posting to bait others. I have had my share, it gets tiring, but really..the more you respond to a flame, just like a real fire, all your huffing and puffing does is add fuel to the fire.

It has been suggested countless times over, use some discipline and do not respond! In my opinion, all those that respond to a flame or outrageously defend themselves are just as much to blame as the original rude and ignorant poster. If you want this board to get real, then it starts with YOU. Yeah, you.

Badgeraaaazzasqsdsqsqswsqsqssqsqsqsqsqsq Guest
    It's because BJJ Rules & Kung Fu Sucks!

Just Kidding,I think these recent "Bad Attitudes"All started from the BJJ Killa Thread which was a joke started by someone just trying to get a rise
    That got The So-called Sifu Abel & his bad attitude toward BJJ&People in general going
    We would just constantly fuel the fire because we wanted to see what sifu silly would say or do next,It was kinda entertaining!
    Most of us who train in BJJ do not think it is Be All,End All of the Martial Arts
    Most of us cross-train in other arts as well,
    Even Kung-Fu
    It's not Kung-Fu We think sucks,It Sifu Abel

-Badger

Jaguar Wong Guest
    It's just the loudmouths that have the bad attitude. But every style has loudmouth egotistical jerks (I'm not naming anyone specific here *cough* Jaguar Wong *cough*). I've met many people from all styles, and the majority are just normal people with skills different from the average person. There are loudmouth jerks everywhere, that swear by their way (martial arts, sports, even freakin' comic book artists!!).

A lot of people are just naturally better than most, and some of them tend to have a more skeptical attitude about things. That leads some people to beleive they are jerks because of it. I have a friend with the "show me that works" mindset, and we argue about things all the time. But we agree on more things than we argue about.

Most people think he's one of the people with a bad attitude about other styles (he is a wrestler, and he is now also doing bjj), but he has respect for styles that put in the work. He's a grappler to the core, but his stand up skills are very sharp.

His striking arsenal is from Northern Shaolin (we taught the man how to kick -- HA HA HA HA [villainous laugh]). Nothing's scarier than facing up with a big 6' 235 pounder, and not knowing if he's gonna shoot for a double leg, or just bust your ribs with a roundhouse kick.

Where was I going with this anyways?

Ah well... Badger, Badger...We don't need no stinking Badger!!

...sorry, I couldn't resist. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    Jaguar Wong
    www.superaction.com

[This message has been edited by Jaguar Wong (edited 08-23-2000).]

Jaguar,
    Snif-Snif,Do I really stink? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]o
    Sorry, but I hope you're Wong! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    By the way,The SuperAction Website is Cool!

Peace!
    -Badger

benny Guest
    some of them arent that bad. i think most just come on to get a rise out of everyone.
    see ya

jjj Guest
    Hey, I'm a BJJ guy and everybody loves me! But seriously I think most BJJ guys are cool you just have bad apples like everywhere else.

Jaguar Wong Guest
    Badger, I was gonna start a whole "play on screen names" war, but I'm just not that clever. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'm glad you like the site, though. I'm in the process of gettin' the name out there for all to see. (that's one reason it's in the sig [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]).

jjj...uh, we just didn't want to hurt your feelings, but I do think we are stringing you along too far.......

......We don't like you.

Yes, every group has bad apples. I'm sure there are even some people here that have those bad apples in their own schools. Something to think about...

------------------
    Jaguar Wong
    www.superaction.com

SifuAbel Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by badger:

That got The So-called Sifu Abel & his bad attitude toward BJJ&People in general going
    We would just constantly fuel the fire because we wanted to see what sifu silly would say or do next,It was kinda entertaining!

-Badger
    [/quote]

This is where your full of ****. For one, all I did was applaude the fact most of you guys were in an uproar over the post (which was obviously BS , I never said it was real)and that he managed to give so many of you a martial wedgie. Whether it was meant as a joke against KF people or not, it backfired horribly because in the end it was mostly(some kf guys were there, but not a whole lot) the grapple group who was in dire straights about it. I pointed that out and then I became the center of the hurricane. Most insults after that were directed at me. I was ****ing you off, not the other way around. And badger, to come on this post with the "I love kung fu face" after all the other posts you've made is hypocritical and stupid. Go tell it the mirror, your reflection may believe you. I'm outspoken, true. Your an *******, true. LOL!

Valraven Guest
    I have been training BJJ for some time now. Everyone in my class has a great attitude and is very open minded about other styles. Several have approached me on learning Shuai-jiao.
    My instructor it the epitome of class and skill and I consider him a true friend.
    I am sure that the ones with the big mouths arn't very good anyways and can hardly represent the art.
    Just learn and train hard.
    Valraven

Tai Mai Shu Guest
    Hey I never talked much trash to anyone here! Why you gotta be blaming it on the Bjj man all the time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]?? As far as I've seen, myself and other Bjj guys here haven't been the ones who've been using their internet cameras to flick people off over the computer screen...nope it was a kung fu sifu that did that [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

GinSueDog Guest
    Here we go again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Hey I'll be the first to admitt that I'm hard to get along with sometimes. It's my Monkey Kung Fu side of me coming out.-ED

------------------
    "The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

[This message has been edited by GinSueDog (edited 08-23-2000).]

sifu abel,Your a riot man!!!!!
    The Kung-Fu insults were for your benifit& ya know what,it worked!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    man,you really need your blood pressure checked!
    Guys is he entertaining or what? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Badger