Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Because I like the Shaolin Do guys

Originally posted by Golden Snake
    why you shuai chaio guys always have to be putting down perfectly legit martial arts styles? inferiority complex maybe? always running around bragging about how much throwing you do, pshaw maybe you should come check out shaolin-do to see the non-wushu version of your precious art.
    This guy is f uckin funny.

Originally posted by rogue
    The only arts where a black belt really means something is Judo and BJJ. Rank in most arts has nothing to do with combative ability.
    I'll second that.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I kid you not, one of his students came into where I work once. At the time I did not know about him and his black belt program, and he told me about how he mixes the Native American weapons with Kempo and thought "That's pretty cool". Now that I know about him, I'd of turned and walked off.

And he lives in my area too.
    I have a signature.

I did not know about him and his black belt program, and he told me about how he mixes the Native American weapons with Kempo and thought "That's pretty cool". Now that I know about him, I'd of turned and walked off.

Reply]
    So,let me get this striat, you thought the idea of mixing Kempo and Native American weapons was really cool, but now that a bunch of guys on the internet are making fun of the idea your against it?

Really, this guys is a Parker trained Kempo guy, so he has a solid background. He's not hiding what he's doing, it blatently clear he's going off in his own direction and following his own path. He's not making up bizzar lineages, and fantastical stories about flying Grandmasters 11 story buildings or Wolf boy Grandmasters and such. You thought it was a cool thing originally. Why is it suddenly not cool anymore?
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 11-09-2003 at 10:36 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    [I]He's not making up bizzar lineages, and fantastical stories about flying Grandmasters 11 story buildings or Wolf boy Grandmasters and such. You thought it was a cool thing originally. Why is it suddenly not cool anymore?
    Well I agreed with your post until you took the time to once more slur SD. On one hand you try to take this moral high ground against Philbert then in the same breath you slur someone else. Maybe I should finally wise up and quit slumming on this waste of time message board.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Originally posted by themeecer

Well I agreed with your post until you took the time to once more slur SD. On one hand you try to take this moral high ground against Philbert then in the same breath you slur someone else. Maybe I should finally wise up and quit slumming on this waste of time message board.
    Since the only things I've seen you contribute have been tiresome religious and political flamefests, and "street advice" that is blatantly wrong and likely to get people hurt, I for one would be quite happy to see you stop "slumming" here.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Good riddance

Originally posted by FatherDog
    Since the only things I've seen you contribute have been tiresome religious and political flamefests, and "street advice" that is blatantly wrong and likely to get people hurt,
    If you ever feel the need to test out my street advice or any of my other theories you are more than welcome to bring yourself here to the south and try me out.
    Originally posted by FatherDog
    I for one would be quite happy to see you stop "slumming" here.
    Actually, I think I would be the happiest of the group. I have spent too much time with you armchair martial artists as it is. (Not all .. I like some of you)

*Walks off in the distance...*
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Well I agreed with your post until you took the time to once more slur SD. On one hand you try to take this moral high ground against Philbert then in the same breath you slur someone else. Maybe I should finally wise up and quit slumming on this waste of time message board

Reply]
    That's becasue I differentiate between arrogantly beliving your superior to someone, and calling them frauds legitimately. If someone,or group of someones, as is the case with SD, are blatently bullsh!tting, lying, and generally being deceptive purely to get marks on thier hook, then they deserve what they get.

A great example comes from my own past. I used to belong to this "Cloud Forest Chin Woo" organasation. I was a member because they claimed to have the martial arts system I was very interested in (Although I was too inexperianced in it to judge at the time), they were suposedly the headquarter school for the USA Chin Woo Athletic association, and the master heading it was suposedly taught by a descendant of the family that founded my art.

Later, I learned that not only did they not teach the style I signed up for, but they were teaching Taiji Quan, Hsing I and Bagua in it's place and fradulantly "Claiming" it was the other style. THEN, I found out they have absolutely NOTHING to do with Chin Woo whatsoever, let alone being the Headquarters School".

Then there was Chung Moo Quan, another complete bullsh!t lie I was at the time not experianced enough to see for what it was (Old Saw Bro.s movies coped from Samurai Sunday tv, taught as if it were an actual traditional art).

SD is another one of those, lots of lies floating around over there. Then there is Yellow Bamboo, Temple Kung Fu and a small list of others as well. It is not arrogant to call BS what it is, BS. A spade IS a spade. It's when your calling something for being crap solely becasue you feel your better than them for whatever reason you "Think" you have, then you become arrogant. But when you can present a clear and decisive argument that catches and exposes real lies, that's another story all together.

Honestly, SD is guilty of the very arrogance I am speaking of, with their whole claim of being the only true Shaolin, when infact they don't resemble even the core of Shaolin practice at all. It's like a total dissing of the entire Chinese martial arts community all in one fell swoop. It's no wonder those guys are so disliked by the legitimate Kung Fu world. It would be different if they were a legit Shaolin system, and were just realy realy bad at it. But it's not that simple with them (And I'm sure there are dozens of threads devoted to this.). Everytime they put some of thier forms on the net, reguardless of which school does it, it looks like some sort of karate with animal claws just haphazardly thrown into the form for looks. There is no body structure, the flow is all wrong, the moves are not linked up in any sort of logical mannor. And of the ones I specifically compered to authentic Kung fu, even the spirit of the style was completely absent. I compared side by side thier Mantis set, with authentic mantis, and it's so far off, it can't even be considered a bad copy. It's not at all the same as saying TKD is crap and Hackney's academey is the bomb, when the two are totally different in goal and function to begin with. What is being said, is SD is NOT even remotely what it, in itself, claims to be. And that my freind is calling BS when it is seen for what it is and nothing more.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Honestly, SD is guilty of the very arrogance I am speaking of, with their whole claim of being the only true Shaolin, when infact they don't resemble even the core of Shaolin practice at all. It's like a total dissing of the entire Chinese martial arts community all in one fell swoop. It's no wonder those guys are so disliked by the legitimate Kung Fu world. It would be different if they were a legit Shaolin system, and were just realy realy bad at it. But it's not that simple with them (And I'm sure there are dozens of threads devoted to this.). Everytime they put some of thier forms on the net, reguardless of which school does it, it looks like some sort of karate with animal claws just haphazardly thrown into the form for looks. There is no body structure, the flow is all wrong, the moves are not linked up in any sort of logical mannor. And of the ones I specifically compered to authentic Kung fu, even the spirit of the style was completely absent. I compared side by side thier Mantis set, with authentic mantis, and it's so far off, it can't even be considered a bad copy. It's not at all the same as saying TKD is crap and Hackney's academey is the bomb, when the two are totally different in goal and function to begin with. What is being said, is SD is NOT even remotely what it, in itself, claims to be. And that my freind is calling BS when it is seen for what it is and nothing more.
    I often disagree with your approach to things, RD. In fact, I prob wouldn't lump SD with Chung Moo Do or whatever, but there are many similar points that I see in the above statement as well. You can go back to the original premise of GS's "SD has preserved many arts that would have been lost" to see that it reflects all the things you stated regarding arrogance. Other than that though, many guys seem to have gotten quite a bit out of it (SD that is). It pointed me away from what I didn't like about martial arts. So, as long as there is no refutable "street advice" given, IMO who cares what they think/believe. Of course these debates will go on ad nauseum/perpetuam...

Who are you trying to convince, Royal Dragon? The SD community, or yourself?
    Shut up and train.

LUEsers unite

ok, Lets redefine the legitimacy of an art

NOT: Combat effectiveness
    Roots, history
    Lineage

How legitimate an art is, is defined by one and only one thing:

Whether the grandmaster have a hot daughter or not !!!

It's obvious that RD isn't trying to "convince" anyone. He's just stating the truth (not a very popular thing to do these days). Peace.

Royal Dragon, it is his black belt program that would make me turn and walk off. Originally I thought it was a cool thing, up until I heard about his 1 year to get a black belt. People make fun of Shaolin-Do all the time, but I've yet to form an opinion.
    I have a signature.

Philbert has mail-ordered a black belt in the correct with only only eight months of diligent training.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Agreed about the one year black belt thing. That's the shortest advertised time to get a blackbelt I've ever come across Despite whatever skill and legitimacy this guy might have, or what his intentions might be, giving away blackbelts after one year is pretty darn irresponsible in my opinion.