Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Tourney

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

2nd Tourney

went to a judo tournament at Univ of Tenn yesterday.

still no heavyweight competition even thought there were 2 or 3 college teams there and 100+ adult competitors.

here's a pic of the 4 of us from the 220+ division.

I was the smallest at 240. I'm second from right. The guy on the right was 320 !!!!

lots of fun and saw a lot of good BB judoka in the lighter divisions.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

thats a dread and not a ras right?...

a pork and beef eating dread!!!....

fyah, more fyah.

kidding, sort of, but how does all that hair work out in grappling

so when do the big kids get to rumble oso?

he was a big kid. only 19, too.

he did keep reaching up to clear the hair out of the way.
    I didn't pick up on it till later in our match and I had already figured out how I was going to take him down. He was very inexperienced but a real nice guy. His school had a large group of mostly kids there and the coaches were top notch and many of the other students placed so I'm sure he'll do fine. He was strong on top of the mass was really flexible.

so when do the big kids get to rumble oso?
    lost me there, watch mean?

here's a pick of me getting a throw, sorta...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

...but, I still pancaked him

every picture tells a story don`t it

Re: 2nd Tourney

Originally posted by Oso

I was the smallest at 240. I'm second from right. The guy on the right was 320 !!!!
    That's why I'm thinking about dropping to light heavy - I'm ALWAYS the smallest guy in the heavies.

Good job, bud.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Cool

Ooooo Oso with the two medal!
    boo ya
    gj

I haven't had the joy of fighting in a tourney yet, but I'm really lookin' forward to it. I see you have a medal in your pic. congrats.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

"still no heavyweight competition even thought there were 2 or 3 college teams there and 100+ adult competitors."

I took that to mean there was no heavy weight division.
    I was asking when the heavyweights would get to spar.

congrats on diving off into the tournament scene, i know i always get a rush from it, keep having fun oso.

thanks guys.

judo is tough. the venue is really do or die...don't fall on your back. in the sport jujitsu I've been training a full ippon throw didn't mean the end of the game so we spent the whole morning watching the junior divisions to figure out the rule differences.

SC107, oh, yea i guess it did sound like that. We fought ourselves in the BB division and then ourselves plus the other guy in the novice division. For the record, there wasn't a masters (35+) division or we would have competed in that as well. the guy on the far left in the above pic is 38 and I am 36 and they weren't going to do another division for just the two of us.

the medals are cool but I'd rather not place if I could get some matches against some good people. sometimes you learn best from the bottom.

Jeepers, I weigh about 240 - do I look like that?!!?

I sure look less intimidating in the hugmonster snap. How tall are you, Oso?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

5'11"

Fatboyz Rule !!!

we've been thinking about getting some hoodies made with that on it.

That's why I'm thinking about dropping to light heavy - I'm ALWAYS the smallest guy in the heavies.
    heh, yah, but I bet my body fat % is MUCH higher then yours.

I'm getting back down to 220 in the next couple of months. don' like 240. never been there before.

So,
    out of curiousity
    how do you fare against lighter opponents, do you dominate , or does it depend on the opponent & situation... or do you usually end up going against your weight class?

well, this is only my second tournament lately and third ever since wrestling in high school...so, it's all been against guys my size or bigger.

it depends...while a good fighter can beat anyone I think the fact that size does matter is shown by the fact that in most competitions there are weight divisions. I think I even saw that in open division that there was a maximum of 25 pounds weight differential but that may have been for juniors.

mmm, I recently rolled with a judo green belt who is maybe 160. he is much more technically proficient at judo than I am and was way squirmy and I couldn't choke him fer shiat. I felt like I could have out powered him if I wanted to but once I rolled with him a little bit I saw I could learn more by NOt doing that. Afterward we talked and he said that he felt that I could have shut him down with my size and the strength that goes with that.

Yesterday, I saw several black belt judokas in the 180 to <220 range that would have totally schooled me on the mat.

so, as always, it comes down to the person and how long and hard they have trained.