Thread: Origin of roundhouse and side kick...

Origin of roundhouse and side kick...

Found this over on e-budo and thought I'd bring it over here:
    "I've been looking for a long time for evidence of side-thrust and roundhouse kick usage in Eastern martial arts prior to the mid 19th century. I now believe that these kicks were borrowed from savate and that the spinning kicks often associated with Eastern martial arts borrowed from the Angolan martial arts and that these two styles are indigenous to their respective homelands (France for Savate and Angola for Capoeira). I have seen no evidence that Capoeira or Savate came from the far East. This theory doesn't sit well with alot of Eastern martial artists (Westerners who study karate, kung fu etc.) Even some of the more respected writers cling to the Eastern origin dogma. If you have time I'd love to get your thoughts on the matter."

Some of my Tai tzu sets are said to date back to the early Sung, and Ming dynasties. There are no round kicks, but side kicks are deffenetly there. The set suposeldy developed by the Emperor in 960 AD has a side kick in it two techniques form the end of the set.

I think both side, and round kicks are such common sense things that they developed independantly in different geographic area's. Same goes for grappeling.

Judo may have descended form Shui Chiao, but I bet before it existed, the Japanese had thier own grapeling too.

The same can be said for just about everything seen commonly across all styles of the world.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

what he said. you cant invent a move and then claim everyone else nicked it from you just because they develop the same move.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."